Exercise

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Observing

Exercise

Post by Observing »

I've heard mixed messages about exercise from various Theravada monks. I've heard it is only a form of clinging to the body. This person even went so far as to recommend avoiding things like yoga and stretching because it encourages avoidance of pain. This did not sit well with me. But I've heard other Theravada monks talk about the benefits of yoga and exercise. Then I've had lay practitioners tell me that exercise is a form of entertainment, so if one is keeping the 8 precepts it should be avoided.

In my mind, exercise and stretching would not break any precepts and is not unwholesome unless taken to extremes and done solely for the purpose of wanting to look good or comes from an obsession of perfect health. But keeping one's body healthy at a base level seems like it would aid the ability to meditate and study the dhamma. Even the Buddha talked about walking meditation having the benefit of keeping the body fit.

Any thoughts on this?
Jack19990101

Re: Exercise

Post by Jack19990101 »

For the one speaking against it, the topic was once his attachment.
For the one speaking for it, it has never been his attachment nor he is confident he won't develop attachment towards it.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Observing wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:23 pm I've heard mixed messages about exercise from various Theravada monks. I've heard it is only a form of clinging to the body. This person even went so far as to recommend avoiding things like yoga and stretching because it encourages avoidance of pain. This did not sit well with me. But I've heard other Theravada monks talk about the benefits of yoga and exercise. Then I've had lay practitioners tell me that exercise is a form of entertainment, so if one is keeping the 8 precepts it should be avoided.

In my mind, exercise and stretching would not break any precepts and is not unwholesome unless taken to extremes and done solely for the purpose of wanting to look good or comes from an obsession of perfect health. But keeping one's body healthy at a base level seems like it would aid the ability to meditate and study the dhamma. Even the Buddha talked about walking meditation having the benefit of keeping the body fit.

Any thoughts on this?
I think you are absolutely right. Any practice can tip over into a form of clinging or obsessive behaviour, but there is nothing wrong with keeping healthy, avoiding physical pain and mental depression, and prolonging this life of practice. If you can, you would be foolish not to, in my opinion.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I've done some stairclimbing up some very tall skyscrapers (77 floors US Bank Tower, Los Angeles; 109 floors The Strat, Las Vegas) and I can tell you, it's definitely not entertainment! :lol:

https://action.lung.org/site/TR?fr_id=22135&pg=entry
befriend

Post by befriend »

Bhante gunaratana Ajahn sumedho Dalai Lama all exercised it helps get rid of anxiety pro longs life and prevents disease bhante G walked or walks not sure anymore but he had walked atleast 5 miles a day quickly and considered it a good source of happiness.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
sunnat

Re: stretching

Post by sunnat »

after meditating there can be impulse to stretch. Try in those instances to not stretch and see underlying tendency.
Stretching for exercise can be good. Not stretching can be good. There is the experience that limbering up joints will make sitting in lotus position easier. There is the experience that staying still, making no intentional movement, equanimously observing sensations of any kind leads to body dissolution after which various blocks in joints and tendons are gone and sitting in lotus position is easy.
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

Yoga or other relaxing exercise can release tension on the body as well as mind. I would recommend do relax/stretching exercise if your life is very stressful. It is part of mindfulness of body in my understanding. When your body relax, your mind will be happy as well.

However, too much heavy exercise might not be good for the body, because it adds more tension to body and mind.

From AN 5.29 about walking meditation:
Bhikkhus, there are these five benefits of walking meditation. What five? One becomes capable of journeys; one becomes capable of striving; one becomes healthy; what one has eaten, drunk, consumed, and tasted is properly digested; the samadhi attained through walking meditation is long lasting. These are the five benefits of walking meditation.”
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.