Can We Hear Sound in Jhāna?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
pitithefool

Re: Can We Hear Sound in Jhāna?

Post by pitithefool »

ToVincent wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:23 am
pitithefool wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:53 pm .....
Personally, I translate it: "separating oneself from objects of sensual pleasures".
But that's my take.

Personal jhāna Cheatsheet: https://rentry.co/m3inp
I think that makes sense. I really feel that the whole point of jhana is to happiness that doesn't depend on sense pleasures rather than anything else. A happiness that's more reliable and can quell the thirst of the mind more thoroughly and more consistently than sense pleasures can.
Please note: This profile picture is not actually a picture of the user.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

pitithefool wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:43 pm I really feel that the whole point of jhana is to happiness that doesn't depend on sense pleasures rather than anything else. A happiness that's more reliable and can quell the thirst of the mind more thoroughly and more consistently than sense pleasures can.
I could not agree more.
Something different than on a purely moral sense - more like the only way to reach higher and finer states.
Some working for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; some for the Unborn.
Those who desire good are few, and those who desire evil are many.
Buddha
(And you just can't imagine how much goodness, those who desire evil, are ready to display - ToVincent).
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

ToVincent wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:00 pm
pitithefool wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:43 pm I really feel that the whole point of jhana is to happiness that doesn't depend on sense pleasures rather than anything else. A happiness that's more reliable and can quell the thirst of the mind more thoroughly and more consistently than sense pleasures can.
I could not agree more.
Something different than on a purely moral sense - more like the only way to reach higher and finer states.
Indeed :anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

pitithefool wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:43 pm
pitithefool wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:53 pm .....
Personally, I translate it: "separating oneself from objects of sensual pleasures".
But that's my take.

Personal jhāna Cheatsheet: https://rentry.co/m3inp
I think that makes sense. I really feel that the whole point of jhana is to happiness that doesn't depend on sense pleasures rather than anything else. A happiness that's more reliable and can quell the thirst of the mind more thoroughly and more consistently than sense pleasures can.
Absolutely spot on. A total cutting off of sense objects seems a temporary fix that will leave you back at square one when you re-emerge. It's almost like hiding in a room to avoid your problems rather than tackling them head on and finding a more fruitful and pleasurable alternative to grief and desire.
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

BrokenBones wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:39 pm
pitithefool wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:43 pm
Absolutely spot on. A total cutting off of sense objects seems a temporary fix that will leave you back at square one when you re-emerge. It's almost like hiding in a room to avoid your problems rather than tackling them head on and finding a more fruitful and pleasurable alternative to grief and desire.
Awesome! And like ToVincent said, it's like the door out of samsara. If it's practiced wisely, it leads to a place where you don't need to feed any more at all.