Make up Metta Phrases?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Akashad

Make up Metta Phrases?

Post by Akashad »

Hello,

Are we allowed to make up our own metta phrases I cant really relate to may you be well and happy part .I dont relate with any phrase that's not in the negative so may you be free from suffering..free from harm..free from distress I Can relate to but the positive ones like may you be well,happy,peaceful like It doesnt seem to generate any feeling..

Thanks.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Make up Metta Phrases?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Yes you can make up any phrase you like. The main purpose is to generate the feeling; the phrases used to achieve that are irrelevant. Once you are experienced with the feeling then you can generate it at will with no phrases and just radiate metta without any help.
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:19 am Yes you can make up any phrase you like. The main purpose is to generate the feeling; the phrases used to achieve that are irrelevant. Once you are experienced with the feeling then you can generate it at will with no phrases and just radiate metta without any help.
Awesome!thanks!
BKh

Post by BKh »

LovingFriendlinessMeditation.pdf
(108.17 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
This is a 16 page doc with a wide variety of phrases compiled/written by Bhante Gunaratana. You may find some ideas there.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

if non arising of anger is metta then what is difference between metta and equanimity?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:41 pm if non arising of anger is metta then what is difference between metta and equanimity?
From the Abhidhammattha-saṅgaha
The four illimitables: These states are called illimitables (appamaññā) because they are to be radiated towards all living beings without limit or obstruction. They are also called brahmavihāras, “divine abodes” or sublime states, because they are the mental dwellings of the Brahmā divinities in the Brahma-world.

Loving-kindness (mettā) is the wish for the welfare and happiness of all living beings. It helps to eliminate ill will.

Compassion (karuṇā) is that which makes the heart quiver when others are subject to suffering. It is the wish to remove the suffering of others, and it is opposed to cruelty.

Appreciative joy (muditā) is the quality of rejoicing at the success and prosperity of others. It is the congratulatory attitude, and helps to eliminate envy and discontent over the success of others.

Equanimity (upekkhā), as a divine abode, is the state of mind that regards others with impartiality, free from attachment and aversion. An impartial attitude is its chief characteristic, and it is opposed to favouritism and resentment.

For a full explanation of the divine abidings, see Vism. IX.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:59 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:41 pm if non arising of anger is metta then what is difference between metta and equanimity?
From the Abhidhammattha-saṅgaha
The four illimitables: These states are called illimitables (appamaññā) because they are to be radiated towards all living beings without limit or obstruction. They are also called brahmavihāras, “divine abodes” or sublime states, because they are the mental dwellings of the Brahmā divinities in the Brahma-world.

Loving-kindness (mettā) is the wish for the welfare and happiness of all living beings. It helps to eliminate ill will.

Compassion (karuṇā) is that which makes the heart quiver when others are subject to suffering. It is the wish to remove the suffering of others, and it is opposed to cruelty.

Appreciative joy (muditā) is the quality of rejoicing at the success and prosperity of others. It is the congratulatory attitude, and helps to eliminate envy and discontent over the success of others.

Equanimity (upekkhā), as a divine abode, is the state of mind that regards others with impartiality, free from attachment and aversion. An impartial attitude is its chief characteristic, and it is opposed to favouritism and resentment.

For a full explanation of the divine abidings, see Vism. IX.
thanks
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Great topic, great posts!
Metta is loving kindness. In my understanding it is about helping ourselves overcome frustration with others rather than heal others. Metta is not about giving others happiness but more about ridding ourselves of ill will. Even if we don't feel the metta words as our own expression they can be tools to work on deep forgiveness of others. Metta improvisation is appropriate but Theravada Buddhism is not about metta. Theravada Buddhism is about enlightenment and metta is just some prayers to help ourselves let go of our own suffering.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I agree with jamesthegaint

U need to initiate and sustain the mrtta feeling in solar plexsis between chest and abdomon .. its center of torso...

You can visualize or think of good qualities or day dream of being anything sweet but main thing is provoke the feeling of metta

You can radiate all direction or people one by one.. thisnmethod of radiating is done for making sure the metta is sustained and dont go puff... if metta is induced by thoughts of people.. u increase the thought and metta will sustain..

If u can do this feeling based metta for 1 minute then u can enter jhana in this life if u practice...

But metta is just feel good flavor lasting deoending on thoughts.. so dont take refuge in it .. its temporary and comes to end without remainder...
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested