Sitting half-lotus on the same leg

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
kenteramin

Sitting half-lotus on the same leg

Post by kenteramin »

I don't know whether I should ask this here or in the wellness subform, but here we go.

I have better flexibility on my right hip than on my left. I can sit in half-lotus with the right leg on top with ease. With the left though it's impossible even to assume proper half-lotus. If I were to ask whether it is healthy :D it would definitely belong to the wellness sub. Let me do differently. How many of you do the same? Sit in half-lotus on the same leg, or assume other asymmetrical postures on the same side
Spiny Norman

Re: Sitting half-lotus on the same leg

Post by Spiny Norman »

kenteramin wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:38 pm I don't know whether I should ask this here or in the wellness subform, but here we go.

I have better flexibility on my right hip than on my left. I can sit in half-lotus with the right leg on top with ease. With the left though it's impossible even to assume proper half-lotus. If I were to ask whether it is healthy :D it would definitely belong to the wellness sub. Let me do differently. How many of you do the same? Sit in half-lotus on the same leg, or assume other asymmetrical postures on the same side
Find a position that is basically comfortable for an extended period. There is no need to do yogic contortions, so use a stool or chair if you need to.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
kenteramin

Post by kenteramin »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:34 pm Find a position that is basically comfortable for an extended period. There is no need to do yogic contortions, so use a stool or chair if you need to.
I find half-lotus pretty comfortable and stable
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Back when I was young, yes I always sat with my left leg on top. Now I sit on a chair or zen stool because I'm old and inflexible.
Be careful, many western monks have knee problems from pinching cartilage because they sat incorrectly.
kenteramin

Post by kenteramin »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:18 am Back when I was young, yes I always sat with my left leg on top. Now I sit on a chair or zen stool because I'm old and inflexible.
Be careful, many western monks have knee problems from pinching cartilage because they sat incorrectly.
Good to know it's not uncommon. Thank you
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

I do whatever is most comfortable. If neither is, I just leave my leg hanging from my lap.
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Great post. I have heard from the Shasta Abbey not to sit in the same position (for example one sided half lotus only). It causes chiropractic needs because of throwing off the spine symetery. The point is half lotus on both sides if possible. And if not possible, kneeling or chair sitting posture. Maybe with enough exercise and stretching half lotus on one side would not be a big deal of problems.
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Nobodyisspecial wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:03 pm Great post. I have heard from the Shasta Abbey not to sit in the same position (for example one sided half lotus only). It causes chiropractic needs because of throwing off the spine symetery.
I've heard similar things, about how to switch legs every now and then in order to avoid getting your spine symetry messed up.
Tennok

Post by Tennok »

kenteramin wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:38 pm I How many of you do the same? Sit in half-lotus on the same leg, or assume other asymmetrical postures on the same side
Hi. My mediatation teacher used to warn me aginst siting in half lotus only on one leg. She broke her hip badly, becouse of preffering one leg for 20 or 30 years. My yoga teacher gave me similiar warning. You want some balance in the body. Better switch from time to time, and seek this balance. And always keep your hips higher, than your knees.

Avoid puting any pressure on the knee. Among body joints, knee is especially fragile and difficult to heal. The opening must come form the hips.

There is nothin wrong with siting in seiza on a big, comfortable zafu. Or on chair, or a special bench. Half lotus is actually pretty demanding pose. I prefer siddhasana nowadays. It is far less straining for my knees. And I change my posture regularly. That actually made my knee health better.

Always listen to your body...unless it just shouts for some beer :)
frank k

Post by frank k »

kenteramin wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:38 pm I don't know whether I should ask this here or in the wellness subform, but here we go.

helpful exercises and explanations for why here, if you want to be able to sit longer and in lotus comfortably:
https://lucid24.org/misc/qigor/eight-pi ... index.html

1. do no harm, listen to the body and change out of painful postures.
2. Sit in a chair, stand, walk, lie down with alarm clock, be able to do samadhi in any posture. Lotus isn't going to really give you any added benefit if the mind is not tamed to a certain extent, and mind taming can be done in any posture.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages