3rd jhana to 4th jhana transition

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
confusedlayman

3rd jhana to 4th jhana transition

Post by confusedlayman »

Anyone know how to go to 4th from 3rd? There is only awareness of blissfull sukha and contentment. Its like extreme blissfull existance without physical body. But to go to 4th should i focus on what? Conciousness/mind can move super fast like optic fibre lightibg and malleable after emerging from 3rd jhana itself should I do vipasanna with that next time? Or should go 4th?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Nobodyisspecial

Re: 3rd jhana to 4th jhana transition

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

I have read about the transition of jhanas in books like wisdom wide and deep and I think also this is mentioned in right concentration by Leigh bransington. The point is that teach shifts in jhanas by different emphasis of concentration.

Jack kornfield had an approach in one of his many books that was a type of communication with the controller of these supernatural progresses. Do we initiate jhana by natural means? Or do we control jhana by thinking? Or is it all a form of spirituality that comes from the spirit of Buddhism and it's origin. Even Hindus have jhana. Is jhana a natural cultivation or communion with the supernatural. If jhana is supernatural than ask for 4th jhana transition and maybe you will receive it, do you see my logic?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:02 pm Anyone know how to go to 4th from 3rd? There is only awareness of blissfull sukha and contentment. Its like extreme blissfull existance without physical body. But to go to 4th should i focus on what? Conciousness/mind can move super fast like optic fibre lightibg and malleable after emerging from 3rd jhana itself should I do vipasanna with that next time? Or should go 4th?
I would focus on getting to access concentration and generating the nimitta first. If you can't even generate and stabilise the nimitta, which goes hand in hand with how much you let go and tranquilising your mind, you won't even experience the 1st Jhāna let alone the 4th. Any answer given in regards to your question won't make much sense and will be rather abstract until then. Don't try to think your way into Jhāna either. Thoughts just get in the way. There isn't anything to work out. There is nothing for "you" to do.
"The Bhagavān told him, “Rāhula, suppose there is a bhikṣu who is happy being alone in quietude. In a secluded place, he corrects his body, corrects his intention, and sits cross-legged. Without any other thoughts, he fastens his mind on the tip of his nose. [1] When there is a long breath out, he is also aware of the long breath. [2] When there is a long breath in, he is also aware of the long breath. [3] When there is a short breath out, he is also aware of the short breath. [4] When there is a short breath in, he is also aware of the short breath. [5] When there is a cold breath out, he is also aware of the cold breath. [6] When there is a cold breath in, he is also aware of the cold breath. [7] When there is a warm breath out, he is also aware of the warm breath. [8] When there is a warm breath in, he is also aware of the warm breath. [9] He completely contemplates the in-breaths and out-breaths of the body, aware of them all. [10] When there is breathing, he also is aware of its presence. [11] When there is no breathing, he is also aware of its absence. [12] If there is an out-breath conditioned by the mind, he is aware that the out-breath was conditioned by the mind. [13] If there is an in-breath conditioned by the mind, he is aware that the in-breath was conditioned by the mind. Thusly, Rāhula, one is able to cultivate the practice of Ānāpānasmṛti, to eliminate every notion of worry and sorrow, obtain the great fruit, and taste the sweet nectar of immortality.”
https://suttacentral.net/ea17.1/en/pierquet

Just let the breath tranquilise your mind, and your mind tranquilise the breath.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:02 pm Anyone know how to go to 4th from 3rd? There is only awareness of blissfull sukha and contentment. Its like extreme blissfull existance without physical body. But to go to 4th should i focus on what? Conciousness/mind can move super fast like optic fibre lightibg and malleable after emerging from 3rd jhana itself should I do vipasanna with that next time? Or should go 4th?
I highly recommend Ayya Khema's teachings on this video. In fact I highly recommend this entire cycle of teachings she gave at the Holy Redeemer during a retreat. It is a treasure of dhamma. But if you are looking for a concrete answer to your question, listen to this dhamma talk and she'll explain what to do.

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta