Sound as a meditation object?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I started using sound from singing bowl as my meditation object.
I keep the sound as a reminder for me to keep my attention on the breath.
I keep the sound at it's lowest level.
What are the pros an cons?
Is this a recommended Buddhist practice?
What is the highest concentration can be achieved by this method?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6QTdvbu0uI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pinetree

Re: Sound as a meditation object?

Post by Pinetree »

I keep the sound as a reminder for me to keep my attention on the breath.
So your meditation object is the breath and not the sound ?

I'm thinking that if I would try this, maybe I'd have the music for the first part of the meditation, followed by silence. Because I'm thinking after some time you don't need to be reminded to stay with the breath.
Last edited by Pinetree on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Yes my primary object is the breath.
Sound from the bowl is only the secondary. That is why I keep it so low to the minimum.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

There is a relevant meditation technique that you might be interested in:

The Sound of Silence by Ajahn Amaro
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Jame
"so detect the nada sound, turn your attention toward your hearing. If you listen carefully to the sounds around you, you’re likely to hear a continuous, high-pitched inner sound like white noise in the background. It is a sound that is beginningless and endless"

==========

It is strange you mention this. I just came here after listening to my inner sound for about half an hour while the sound of bowl is playing in the back ground.
The technical name for the inner sound is tinnitus.

Tinnitus is a physical condition, experienced as noises or ringing in the ears or head when no such external physical noise is present. Tinnitus is usually caused by a fault in the hearing system; it is a symptom, not a disease in itself.
http://www.tinnitus.asn.au/tinnitus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The way I manage my tinnitus is by the same method ,as instructed by Ajhan Amaro. I think that is the best way.
Thanks to this method it does not bother me at well. I hear it as I am typing this post.

My theory is, that sound come from the inner blood follow. (just like the sound of the heart beat)
Some times I wonder whether it is coming from cosmic back ground radiation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ba ... _radiation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Why sound is not as a meditation object in Kammatthana?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamma%E1% ... Dh%C4%81na
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Sound is the external ear base, the ear is the internal, dependent on the ear and sound ear consciousness arises, the meeting of the three is ear contact.

Dependent on ear contact, ear feeling arises.< important

Dependent on ear feeling, ear craving arises.

"If anyone says, ‘ear, sound, ear consciousnes, ear contact, ear feeling, ear craving is self’, that is not acceptable. The rise and fall of the ear, sound, ear consciousnes, ear contact, ear feeling, ear craving is seen and understood, and since its rise and fall are discerned, it would follow: ‘My self rises and falls.’ That is why it is not acceptable for anyone to say, ‘The ear, sound, ear consciousnes, ear contact, ear feeling, ear craving is self.’ Thus the ear, sound, ear consciousnes, ear contact, ear feeling, ear craving is not self.

"Now, bhikkhus, this is the way leading to the origination of identity...
One regards the ear thus: ‘This is mine, this I am, this is my self.’ One regards sounds thus: ‘This is mine, this I am, this is my self.’ One regards ear-consciousness thus: ‘This is mine, this I am, this is my self.’ One regards ear-contact thus: ‘This is mine, this I am, this is my self. One regards ear-feeling thus: ‘This is mine, this I am, this is my self.’ One regards ear-craving thus: ‘This is mine, this I am, this is my self.’
"Now, bhikkhus, this is the way leading to the cessation of identity. One regards the ear thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self’. One regards sounds thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self’. One regards ear-consciousness thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self’. One regards ear-contact thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self’. One regards ear-feeling thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self’. One regards ear-craving thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self’.

When one is touched by a pleasant ear-feeling, if one delights in it, welcomes it, and remains holding to it, then the underlying tendency to lust lies within one. When one is touched by a painful ear-feeling, if one sorrows, grieves and laments, weeps beating one’s breast and becomes distraught, then the underlying tendency to aversion lies within one. When one is touched by neither-pleasant nor-painful ear-feeling, if one does not understand as it actually is the origination, the disappearance, the gratification, the danger, and the escape in regard to that ear-feeling, then the underlying tendency to ignorance lies within one. Bhikkhus, that one shall here and now make an end of suffering without abandoning the underlying tendency to lust for pleasant ear-feeling, without abolishing the underlying tendency to aversion towards painful ear-feeling, without extirpating the underlying tendency to ignorance in regard to neither-pleasant-nor-painful ear-feeling, without abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge - this is impossible.

"Bhikkhus, dependent on the ear and sounds, ear-consciousness arises; the meeting of the three is ear-contact; with ear-contact as condition there arises [an ear feeling] felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant. When one is touched by a pleasant ear-feeling, if one does not delight in it, welcome it, and remain holding to it, then the underlying tendency to lust does not lie within one. When one is touched by a painful ear-feeling, if one does not sorrow, grieve and lament, does not weep beating one’s breast and become distraught, then the underlying tendency to aversion does not lie within one. When one is touched by a neither-painful-nor-pleasant ear-feeling, if one understands as it actually is the origination, the disappearance, the gratification, the danger, and the escape in regard to that ear-feeling, then the underlying tendency to ignorance does not lie within one. Bhikkhus, that one shall here and now make an end to suffering by abandoning the underlying tendency to lust for pleasant ear-feeling, by abolishing the underlying tendency to aversion towards painful ear-feeling, by extirpating the underlying tendency to ignorance in regard to neither-painful-nor-pleasant ear-feeling, by abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge - this is possible
Alino

Post by Alino »

I would suggest you to use the "sound" of your thoughts or your mantra like "buddho"... listen to your "buddho"

But if your mind is quite enought you can develop wisdom with any of your senses. It's the Satipathana on feelings actually... imho
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Alino wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:14 pm if your mind is quite enought you can develop wisdom with any of your senses.
:goodpost:

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!