How many of you really tried to attain jhana?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
confusedlayman

Re: How many of you really tried to attain jhana?

Post by confusedlayman »

lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 am
confusedlayman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:47 am
dont give up..
Yet it has already been said by several people here, that it’s exactly what you need to do! give up, let go, etc.
i never spoke to any buddhist monk or layperson till now bcs i never met anyone (dhammawheel is exeption as its typing)

I follow sutta and open mind approach
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:11 am
lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 am
confusedlayman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:47 am
dont give up..
Yet it has already been said by several people here, that it’s exactly what you need to do! give up, let go, etc.
Let go of hinderance but dont leg go of idea to attain jhana
The desire to attain jhana IS a hindrance.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:41 pm
lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 am Yet it has already been said by several people here, that it’s exactly what you need to do! give up, let go, etc.
Without desire u cant attain jhana

Without desire or intention, u cant do anything
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm

I don’t think that is true. I don’t think I have ever experienced anything close to jhana, but all I know is that my best meditation experience ever lived was when I sat in mild despair about this life, not wanting anything at all, not even wanting to exist anymore, just letting go of everything including hope of anything. And that’s when I experienced extreme well-being. That’s why even without knowing jhana I’m pretty certain that you won’t get it by wanting it, quite the opposite IMHO.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

lostitude wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:41 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm

I don’t think that is true. I don’t think I have ever experienced anything close to jhana, but all I know is that my best meditation experience ever lived was when I sat in mild despair about this life, not wanting anything at all, not even wanting to exist anymore, just letting go of everything including hope of anything. And that’s when I experienced extreme well-being. That’s why even without knowing jhana I’m pretty certain that you won’t get it by wanting it, quite the opposite IMHO.
I agree with this sentiment. I've had my best meditations after failing many times at meditation and thinking to myself "OK, this is it... If I can't meditate I will just give it up". Usually after I go through this I have some minor experience which keeps me coming back for more.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ok... big question comes

how to keep body still?

I tried many methods .. some method work sometimes but not all time

Q1) i want to know how one can keep body still at will?

also another question

Q2) should i control breath and adjust long or short to induce tranquality of mind (near sleep but not full sleep)??? or should i observe space so it leads me to observe breath without controlling?

or should i do both observe after intentionally fixing it?

final question

Q3) how long it takes for you all to enter access concentration (5 hinderence, 5 sence off) on average?
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

When things start to feel too good, aversion to self can shut it down fast. That means two of the five jhana factors which oppose the hindrances. This is a familiar problem for me. There is a connection between how I see myself and how I see the people around me. I'm realizing that it isn't good enough to just keep working on the breath object without at least trying to generate some metta on the side.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

5 hinderance off is due to non-attention of data from 6 sence? this leads to equnimity? from there what to do?
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:53 am 5 hinderance off is due to non-attention of data from 6 sence? this leads to equnimity? from there what to do?
Pass the equanimity on to others. The more you teach the Dharma to other people the more you will advance yourself. In fact it is the fastest way to advance. Then save others, that will save you more than anything else can. Om. Walk the Bodhisattva Path.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Mahabrahma wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:47 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:53 am 5 hinderance off is due to non-attention of data from 6 sence? this leads to equnimity? from there what to do?
Pass the equanimity on to others. The more you teach the Dharma to other people the more you will advance yourself. In fact it is the fastest way to advance. Then save others, that will save you more than anything else can. Om. Walk the Bodhisattva Path.
Hi, i am talking about access conc.. but u are talking about outward things.. i am focused on inward atm.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Your relationship with the five hindrances is not just for seated meditation. Mindful attention to how your mind moves from one thing to another can be applied in regular activity. Daily life is full of opportunity to practice with the hindrances.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Inedible wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:00 am Your relationship with the five hindrances is not just for seated meditation. Mindful attention to how your mind moves from one thing to another can be applied in regular activity. Daily life is full of opportunity to practice with the hindrances.
thanks but i want to know what technique other do for meditation? escpeacially for 5 hinderance escape?
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:47 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:47 am
Hi, i am talking about access conc.. but u are talking about outward things.. i am focused on inward atm.
The outward world is affecting your inward world. To grasp your own Spiritual Mastery of yourself, you're going to have to change the whole world. And when you change inside, the outside will transform too.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Speaking for myself, the only difficult thing about the five hindrances is recognizing when they are present. After that, the rest tends to be easy. Except for sloth and torpor. Or lethargy. Or however you want to translate it. I'm still on the object without distraction, but the awareness becomes dull and the ability to know it is happening goes away. Worse, it can feel really good.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ok i am able to keep body still.. now should i focus on attention to my object till piti sukha arise?