Jhana

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
nirodh27

Re: Jhana

Post by nirodh27 »

@Mikenz66

That will be a looooooong read, thank you very much!

@Dhammananado

Let my skin and sinews and bones dry up, together with all the flesh and blood of my body! I welcome it! But I will not move from this spot until I have read all the links that you gave me! :smile: :smile:

Yes is it true, the starting practice doesn't have this problem and my practice is all about mantaining Sila and removing, softening and understanding how the hindrances can be abandoned by the skillfull use of Sati and Wisdom. But this process has already do a lot for me and a lot of self-suffering and unsatisfactoriness is gone, what I need I think to progress is to give the mind the spiritual Sukha of Jhana that can counter the need for strong sensual pleasures and incline the mind to renunciation and equanimity. This is clearly stated in the texts, not even the Buddha renounced sensual pleasures before the Jhanas. I need to let the mind sees that it can be perfecly satisfied without resorting to sensual pleasures to let her evaluate more and more the possibility and the beauty of renunciation to the worldy dharmas and the attachment to the self. It's not that "I" want pleasure, but I think that the mind will greatly benefit from it because when I get it I became more compassionate, more alert, more prone to help other people and able to do Dhamma-work. There's an element of self still there of course, but it truly softened a lot in this 5 years of practice.

The mode of practice that the Petakopadesa and Frankk seems to suggest (to deliberately think, mantain and nourish kusala thoughs of renunciation, non-aversion and non-cruelty/violence after the momentary abandonment of the hindrances) really attracts me more and seems more doable than the Ajahn Bhram "bliss out" (hope not to be disrespectful) mode of the Jhanas in which you concentrate on a single point. But my faith is in the Buddha, and I don't want to practice a thing that is far from his teaching. It seems to me that this "thinking" type of Jhana is also a practice that is more infused by wisdom, since you can't fool yourself, when you get pleasure from renunciation it means that you see impermanence and you understand that the "spiritual curry" (like in the parable of the Cook in the Samyutta) is really the best and more reliable. Lot of work to be done, lot of reading is needed, maybe I will change my opinion in the next weeks and I'll became a big Sujato follower :D

Thank you!

@DooDoot

Hi DooDoot,

I think that you refer to MN43 and I'm sure that you're aware of the arguments of Leight Brasington (to be clear: I don't think that Light Jhanas are in the suttas or something even remotely teached by the Buddha) and Keren Arbel (which I think simply restates and expand the arguments of Martin Stuart-Fox and Govid Chandra Pande) about MN43. The full argument has to be found in their respective books, but here is a summary:

http://www.leighb.com/jhana_4factors.htm

I think that you can read full argument here thanks to Google Books, don't know if it works:

https://books.google.it/books?id=UjolDw ... na&f=false

https://books.google.it/books?id=GHMDCw ... na&f=false

I actually tend to buy those argument, but my guess is that it can only be a % thing, like in the NT philological studies. Maybe MN43 is the true word of the Buddha, maybe is a later addition. A serious and rigorous philological work is needed, but I feel it would be from very hard to impossible to settle the question. First, because even irreproachable studies must face the weight of tradition, the study of NT of John P. Meier about the "brothers of Jesus" is 100% correct by any standard of logic and demonstrates that Jesus had brothers, but the tradition and the dogma still says that the texts says that Jesus doesn't have brothers. The weight of tradition is also the weight of masters that we respect and love. To dismiss the masters it means also to be alone in the forest, with only the text in your help and with doubt still lingering as an hindrance. So It is a move that must be pondered wisely. I truly understand the people who are not keen to to discuss matters about practice like this one or that take a very strong position about those matters, because having doubts about the practice leads to the failure of that practice.

Also, the other problem is the acceptance of the validity of a certain text and the % of historicity, autenthicity, proximity to the Buddha's time and risk of corruption that one gaves to one text or the other. The Nikayas has the advantage that they are written in the language of the Buddha, so they didn't had a risky process of translation like the agamas. Still, the agamas can shed some light on the Nikayas because if they both say the same thing, we have two sources lined up and we can gladly say that this passage can get some more historical weight or historical proximity to the Buddha or at least to a point in which the two traditions not yet diverged. If the passages says a different thing, a cumulative, yet almost always imperfect, argument can be made to understand which one is probably the authentic one.

If one takes Nikayas as the only authority the result will be different than one that takes into account the agamas parallels. If you take MN19 as a proof that in first Jhana there's no thinking (a reading that sometimes is contested, for example here: http://blog.buddha-vacana.org/why-vitak ... -in-jhana/) you have your points, but when you see that in the parallel of MN19 you find that it is the second Jhana, arguments like the ones of Frankk can be made. Maybe the agamas are wrong, Maybe the agamas are right and the Nikayas are wrong. So you have to make a global argument that takes into account historicity and philology and the whole teaching as is presented in the Pali Canon and the whole teaching that can be construed by the comparison between Nikayas and Agamas to find the crucial, more authentic foundations of the Dhamma, not a thing that I can do by myself. I just want to understand how to practice effectively and how far can I go as a lay follower :D
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

nirodh27 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm Leight Brasington Keren Arbel Martin Stuart-Fox and Govid Chandra Pande John P. Meier
Thanks but i have no interest in the above.
nirodh27 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pmMaybe MN43 is the true word of the Buddha, maybe is a later addition.
MN 43 is true dhamma. As for what is later addition or original, we have no evidence. MN 19, MN 4, all of the stock suttas about the Three Knowledges, say the Buddha had ekaggata citta to produce the 1st jhana. If Leight Brasington Keren Arbel Martin Stuart-Fox and Govid Chandra Pande John P. Meier do not agree with this, they are wrong.
nirodh27 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pmreally attracts me more and seems more doable than the Ajahn Bhram "bliss out" (hope not to be disrespectful)
"Doable" is not necessarily true or real. Kind regards. Best wishes. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
nirodh27

Post by nirodh27 »

@Doodot
MN 43 is true dhamma. As for what is later addition or original, we have no evidence.
I tried to provide you that evidence. If you refuse to consider the arguments of those people, no discussion can start about that of course. I accept it.
MN 43 is true dhamma.
"Doable" is not necessarily true or real. Kind regards. Best wishes.
That is certainly correct that "doability" is not necessarily "true", but, hoping not to be disrespecful, even what you say is true is not necessary true or real, simply because you say so. In a discussion arguments must be made in support of that statement and there are arguments against what you say that takes into consideration also MN19 and MN4. Of course, like I've tried to convey, different opinions on the reliability, authenticity and authority of the starting sources can stop any discussion. This seems to be the case.

I'm here in this forum precisely and only to be refuted and convinced to the contrary or to gain a more balanced view. The links suggested by Dhammanando and Mikenz seems to be very promising. But here the discussion simply cannot start. I hope that someone else will pick up that "challenge".

Best wishes and have a good day and a good practice!
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

nirodh27 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:31 am @Doodot
MN 43 is true dhamma. As for what is later addition or original, we have no evidence.
I tried to provide you that evidence. If you refuse to consider the arguments of those people, no discussion can start about that of course. I accept it.
MN 43 is true dhamma.
That is certainly correct that "doability" is not necessarily "true", but, hoping not to be disrespecful, even what you say is true is not necessary true or real, simply because you say so. In a discussion arguments must be made in support of that statement and there are arguments against what you say that takes into consideration also MN19 and MN4. Of course, like I've tried to convey, different opinions on the reliability, authenticity and authority of the starting sources can stop any discussion. This seems to be the case.

I'm here in this forum precisely and only to be refuted and convinced to the contrary or to gain a more balanced view. The links suggested by Dhammanando and Mikenz seems to be very promising. But here the discussion simply cannot start. I hope that someone else will pick up that "challenge".

whats different between deep sleep and neither perception nor non perception and what difference between deep sleep where there is no awareness of anything vs cessation of conciousness and feeling? i mean the differenct in first personal expeirecne while one is in there?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
nirodh27

Post by nirodh27 »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 am
nirodh27 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:31 am @Doodot
MN 43 is true dhamma.

whats different between deep sleep and neither perception nor non perception and what difference between deep sleep where there is no awareness of anything vs cessation of conciousness and feeling? i mean the differenct in first personal expeirecne while one is in there?
If you're asking me, I don't have the slightest idea :) and all my research goes into the abandonment of the hindrances, Satipatthana and the four Jhanas. I don't know how arupas can help me in the quest to end suffering/stress/unsatisfaction and I think everyone agrees that you can get enlightened without them. I think that the Nikayas speaks about cessation of perception and feeling btw and I think it is a big difference.
DeadBuddha

Post by DeadBuddha »

DooDoot wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:20 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 amwrong.
not wrong
confusedlayman wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 amshow me sutta
i already did - MN 19
confusedlayman wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 am speak from personal experience
Irrelevant. My personal experienced could be a lie or delusional. You cannot verify my personal experience therefore your suggestion is utterly ridiculous and definitely the wrong path.
MN 19 wrote:... [ordinary verbal] thinking & pondering a long time would tire the body. When the body is tired, the mind is disturbed; and a disturbed mind is far from concentration.' So I steadied my mind right within, settled, unified & concentrated it. Why is that? So that my mind would not be disturbed.

Unflagging persistence was aroused in me and unmuddled mindfulness established. My body was calm & unaroused, my mind concentrated & single. Quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful mental qualities, I entered & remained in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Hello,

May I say that in MN 19, the Buddha does not explicitly say that "jhana cannot happen if thinking & pondering are present".
So your assertion is not based on an explicit statement in the sutta.

I think your assertion is based on the intellectual reasoning that "if the Buddha says that doing thinking & pondering for a long time puts the mind away from concentration, then jhana cannot exist with thinking & pondering".
For me, there is a logically unjustified leap between premise and conclusion ; for me, this is intellectual speculation.

I also note that the Buddha does NOT say:
thinking & pondering a long time would tire the body. When the body is tired, the mind is disturbed; and a disturbed mind is far from concentration.’ So I steadied my mind right within, settled, unified, concentrated it & suppressed thinking & pondering.
By the way, even if we say that "thinking & pondering for a long time takes us away from concentration", this doesn't necessarily mean that "thinking & pondering for a long time can never, under any circumstances, exist at the same time as jhana".
To make you understand, it's quite possible that thinking & pondering for a long time takes us away from concentration, but if the meditator decides to calm his mind, unify it and concentrate it, then these conditions mean that thinking & pondering for a long time is no longer incompatible with jhana.

I also notice that in your quotation from the sutta, you forgot to specify "(...)" between "would not be disturbed" and "Unflagging persistence", because in truth, the two paragraphs do not follow directly on from each other.
This is important. Why does it matter?
Because between the two, there's this:
"Whatever a monk keeps pursuing with his thinking & pondering, that becomes the inclination of his awareness. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with renunciation, abandoning thinking imbued with sensuality, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with renunciation. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with non-ill will, abandoning thinking imbued with ill will, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with non-ill will. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with harmlessness, abandoning thinking imbued with harmfulness, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with harmlessness.

"Just as in the last month of the hot season, when all the crops have been gathered into the village, a cowherd would look after his cows: While resting under the shade of a tree or out in the open, he simply keeps himself mindful of 'those cows.' In the same way, I simply kept myself mindful of 'those mental qualities.'
So you see that after saying that thinking & pondering can lead away from concentration, before talking about jhana, the Buddha talks about thinking & pondering again (while using the cow comparison to show that we must first understand the ineffectiveness of bad thoughts and the effectiveness of good thoughts in order to cultivate good thoughts through thought control, and then let go of this thought control while quietly enjoying the effectiveness of these good thoughts that we are monitoring).
And yet, in the meantime, the Buddha doesn't even criticize thinking & pondering in any way, nor does he talk about the disappearance of thinking & pondering, and yet he goes on to explain that his mind is concentrated, tranquil, vigilant, etc., and then talks about jhana.

This shows how MN 19 is not talking about "the disappearance of thinking & pondering for jhana".

Besides, this passage is translated as follows by other translators, and these translations say that in the passage translated by Ven. Thanissaro, we are still thinking & pondering.:

-
If they often think about and consider thoughts of renunciation, they’ve given up sensual thought to cultivate the thought of renunciation. Their mind inclines to thoughts of renunciation. If they often think about and consider thoughts of good will … their mind inclines to thoughts of good will. If they often think about and consider thoughts of harmlessness … their mind inclines to thoughts of harmlessness.
(Ven. Suajto)

-
“Bhikkhus, whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. If he frequently thinks and ponders upon thoughts of renunciation, he has abandoned the thought of sensual desire to cultivate the thought of renunciation, and then his mind inclines to thoughts of renunciation. If he frequently thinks and ponders upon thoughts of non-ill will…upon thoughts of non-cruelty, he has abandoned the thought of cruelty to cultivate the thought of non-cruelty, and then his mind inclines to thoughts of non-cruelty.
(Ven. Bodhi)

-
“Monks, whatever a monk frequently thinks about and considers becomes the inclination of his mind. Monks, if a monk frequently thinks about and considers thoughts of renunciation, then sensual thoughts are abandoned, thoughts of renunciation become frequent, and his mind inclines towards thoughts of renunciation. Monks, if a monk frequently thinks about and considers thoughts of non-aversion… thoughts of non-cruelty, then thoughts of cruelty are abandoned, thoughts of non-cruelty become frequent, and his mind inclines towards thoughts of non-cruelty.
(Ven. Suddhāso)

-
Monks, according to whatever a monk ponders and reflects on much his mind in consequence gets a bias that way. Monks, if a monk ponder and reflect much on thought of renunciation he ejects thought of sense-pleasures; if he makes much of the thought of renunciation, his mind inclines to the thought of renunciation. Monks, if a monk ponder and reflect much on the thought of non-malevolence… of non-harming, he ejects thought of harming. If he makes much of the thought of non-harming his mind inclines to the thought of non-harming.
(I.B. Horner)
kavak

Re: goalposts have moved?

Post by kavak »

PeterC86 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:39 pm
kavak wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:29 pm
PeterC86 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:05 pm

Like almost everyone.
So do you prefer my interpretation or their's?
Nevermind, I thought with your previous post you were responding to a post of mine.

All the best to you.
What is the proof if someone has achieved jhana?
Hypocrite!!!
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

kavak wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:57 pm What is the proof if someone has achieved jhana?
It’s just calm
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:19 pm
kavak wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:57 pm What is the proof if someone has achieved jhana?
It’s just calm
What kind of calm? Kitties can be calm too!

I don't see why kitties can't achieve Jhana. ;)
Attachments
il_794xN.4215982148_bv2x.jpg
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:50 pm What kind of calm?
The deliberate kind
Coaching
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:54 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:50 pm What kind of calm?
The deliberate kind
What is Nibbana? Because I need a way for kitties to achieve that too.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
kavak

Post by kavak »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:19 pm
It’s just calm
No it's not. With jhana also comes superpowers.
Hypocrite!!!
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

kavak wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:58 pm With jhana also comes superpowers.
Calm is difficult in our time
Coaching
kavak

Post by kavak »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:59 pm
kavak wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:58 pm With jhana also comes superpowers.
Calm is difficult in our time
Not if you're in a remote hideout surrounded by hippies.
Hypocrite!!!
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

kavak wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:01 pm Not if you're in a remote hideout surrounded by hippies.
:shrug:
Coaching