Is there consciousness in Nirodha Samāpatti?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
rhinoceroshorn

Is there consciousness in Nirodha Samāpatti?

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Hello my friends. Help me understand this part of MN43:
"When someone dies, their physical, verbal, and mental processes have ceased and stilled; their vitality is spent; their warmth is dissipated; and their faculties have disintegrated. When a mendicant has attained the cessation of perception and feeling, their physical, verbal, and mental processes have ceased and stilled. But their vitality is not spent; their warmth is not dissipated; and their faculties are very clear. That’s the difference between someone who has passed away and a mendicant who has attained the cessation of perception and feeling.”
https://suttacentral.net/mn43/en/sujato

What does it mean in practical terms? One in Nirodha Samapatti ceased feelings and perceptions, but is also conscious of this state, since the 5 senses are "clear"?
Last edited by rhinoceroshorn on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Re: Is there consciousness in Nirodha Samapatti?

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Another question: can one exit NS at will?
Some sources say you must predetermine the exit time during the 8th jhāna. How does this work? :thinking:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
confusedlayman

Re: Is there consciousness in Nirodha Samāpatti?

Post by confusedlayman »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:02 pm Hello my friends. Help me understand this part of MN43:
"When someone dies, their physical, verbal, and mental processes have ceased and stilled; their vitality is spent; their warmth is dissipated; and their faculties have disintegrated. When a mendicant has attained the cessation of perception and feeling, their physical, verbal, and mental processes have ceased and stilled. But their vitality is not spent; their warmth is not dissipated; and their faculties are very clear. That’s the difference between someone who has passed away and a mendicant who has attained the cessation of perception and feeling.”

What does it mean in practical terms? One in Nirodha Samapatti ceased feelings and perceptions, but is also conscious of this state, since the 5 senses are "clear"?
no concious if im nt wrong sir
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:19 pm
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:02 pm Hello my friends. Help me understand this part of MN43:

no concious if im nt wrong sir
Please provide sutta, commentary, or direct experience account.
How can faculties be clear and you are unconscious at the same time?
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I dont know im not clear im actuaally not that stage..

Im not advance practitoner
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:50 pm I dont know im not clear im actuaally not that stage..

Im not advance practitoner
It's fine, my friend.
I have been reading some threads and this seems to be a confusing topic.

DooDoot made the same question some time ago:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32111

Venerable Dhammanando corrected a translation about this some time ago...
Dhammanando wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:57 pm
cobwith wrote:The mental faculties are very clear.]
Bad translation. If it meant the mental faculty (manindriya) then it would be singular. As indriyāni paribhinnāni is plural, it is the five sense-faculties that are clear.

Bhikkhu Bodhi's endnote:
  • MA says that the faculties during the ordinary course of life, being impinged upon by sense objects, are afflicted and soiled like a mirror set up at a crossroads; but the faculties of one in cessation become exceptionally clear like a mirror placed in a case and deposited in a box.

Nirodha seems to be a very obscure "jhāna". Since it can only be accessed by anāgāmis and arahatas, it's reasonable the uncertainty about it. There are not many of them, let alone many of them who discuss about this openly. :coffee:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Zom

Post by Zom »

Nirodha seems to be a very obscure "jhāna".
Nirodha is actual real nibbana. Consciousness ends there, and because it ends, one becomes anagami or arahant after he achieved that.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I recently read a comment on a quote from Veros 45 from Tao Te Ching ..

I think it helps us understand a little bit about Nibbana ..
Verse 45

Transparency and Quietude act Governing under Heaven

Under heaven it means a manifested world; and Transparency and Quietude correspond, respectively, to Wú Jí and Tài Jí. In the manifested world, the yin yáng polarities act separately, but complementary and not excluding, generating life; in Tài Jí or Unidade, the two polarities are solidly united; and in Wú Jí, where there are no manifestations, the polarities also cease to exist: after uniting in Tái Jí, they change levels and recover characteristics of non-existence, prior to the creation of all manifestations.

Tao Te Ching
Translation and Commentary - Wu Jyh Cherng
:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Zom wrote:
Nirodha is actual real nibbana. Consciousness ends there,
Nirvana means coolness

like rice that has cooled

(not annihilation)
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: from Tao Te Ching
not necessarily from Laozi
Last edited by cappuccino on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Zom wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:21 pm
Nirodha is actual real nibbana. Consciousness ends there, and because it ends, one becomes anagami or arahant after he achieved that.
Please explain how faculties are clear in Nirodha without consciousness.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

When a mendicant has attained the cessation of perception and feeling, their physical, verbal, and mental processes have ceased and stilled. But their vitality is not spent; their warmth is not dissipated; and their faculties are very clear.
Yo cāyaṃ bhikkhu saññāvedayitanirodhaṃ samāpanno tassapi kāyasaṅkhārā niruddhā paṭippassaddhā, vacīsaṅkhārā niruddhā paṭippassaddhā, cittasaṅkhārā niruddhā paṭippassaddhā, āyu na parikkhīṇo, usmā
avūpasantā, indriyāni vippasannāni.
vippasanna

pp. of vippasīdati very clear; pure; bright.

I believe ani is the plural suffix of neutral words.

https://suttacentral.net/define/vippasanna
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Nirodha Samapatti is the cessation of perception and feeling. Not the cessation of experience.

By definition, sense consciousness (as a technical term) has ceased.

This means contact with sense objects is not the case. However the faculties remain (they simply don’t register feeling or perception).

Can one come out at will? In my experience, yes.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Pondera wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:43 pm Nirodha Samapatti is the cessation of perception and feeling. Not the cessation of experience.

This means contact with sense objects is not the case. However the faculties remain (they simply don’t register feeling or perception).

Thank you, Pondera! This was what I needed to know! :hug:

Have you tried to inflict any pain in yourself in NS (not in, but something planned)? You can't feel it, right? You can't move or think, right? It's like turning into a tree, right?
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:56 pm
Pondera wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:43 pm Nirodha Samapatti is the cessation of perception and feeling. Not the cessation of experience.

Thank you, Pondera! This was what I needed to know! :hug:

Have you tried to inflict any pain in yourself in NS (not in, but something planned)? You can't feel it, right? You can't move or think, right? It's like turning into a tree, right?
Well. Let me explain. I suffered intense psychosomatic pain for four years before being released from that and starting a journey into concentration which lasted four months and culminated in my experience of Unbinding.

I spent about half an hour in Unbinding before returning to the world of sense.

If you imagine that your body is really just old karma, the Unbinding of that karma is how we refer to “the cessation of feeling”. In fact you witness your whole body’s karmic fabrication unwind and loosen and eventually unbind. Feeling stops. All perception of “body” is released.

So, although I didn’t inflict any pain on my “body” - there was no “body” to really speak of.

Like a “tree”? Not really. More like a single point in space. You are aware of a few things in Nirodha Samapatti. You are aware that the experience is boundless; you are aware that it is pure and unsullied by perception and feeling; and you are aware that there is no time.

You can stay there as long as you want. After half an hour (conventionally speaking) I decided to draw the infinite potential surrounding me into my mind made body. That was, essentially, the act of will power which ultimately led me back into the sphere of perception and feeling.

I’ve experienced this ONCE. And although I’m aware of the path to follow in order to arrive at that destination again; It is a gradual path which I am currently developing.

Haven’t got back to that place quite yet. :twothumbsup:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded