Meditation timer

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
simsapa

Meditation timer

Post by simsapa »

Hi all, how do you all time your meditation sessions? A normal timer is loud and you can't easily add time without interrupting your session. I'm looking for something that is preferably mechanical or solar-powered.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Meditation timer

Post by DNS »

simsapa wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 am Hi all, how do you all time your meditation sessions? A normal timer is loud and you can't easily add time without interrupting your session. I'm looking for something that is preferably mechanical or solar-powered.
I don't like alarms because they can disturb your meditation or you end up anticipating the alarm going off and keep checking your watch. I prefer the grandfather clocks (not sure if that's what they are called any more though) that have the chimes every 15 minutes. Typically there are 2 chimes at the quarter-hour, 4 chimes at the half-hour, 6 at the three-quarter hour and then the full "song" at the top of the hour. And then that way you could sit for 15 minutes or more without checking your watch or being disturbed by an alarm.
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

I can't say I have one of those! I usually meditate in nature.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I have an app on my phone called "Seconds Pro", which I also use for exercise. It plays a non-jarring single gong sound and you can have multiple preset duration's.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

I just use look at the time normally. or sometimes i use apps. Insight timer has one of the best generic meditation timers imo. i literally just ignore everything else that app offers and just use the timer.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
skandha

Post by skandha »

Over many years I have tried different ways of timing my meditation sessions but I always go back to an Android app called Meditation Helper Plus - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... p&hl=en_AU. By today's standards it doesn't have the fanciest user interface but it does the job. Also it doesn't have other distracting features like social media etc. The one feature that I absolutely love about the Meditation Helper Plus app is you can have the alarm (gong sound) go off at different times and keep a log of the time spent for that session. For eg. my typical session may involve 10 minutes of Anapanasati followed by at least 50 minutes of Vedanupassana, I may then continue as long as I like and finally ending with a few minutes of Metta. So the first alarm will go off at 10 minutes, another at 50 minutes, I then decide to continue for another 10 minutes followed by 3 minutes Metta and I finally end the session on the app. Since this is an open ended session, the app will log the entire session with a total of 73 minutes. My goal in this instance is to get at least 60 minutes of meditation and more if I feel like it. I used to think that this preoccupation of time is not necessary but after experimenting with different ways of practice, I feel that the habit of putting in the hours in meditation is beneficial. At the same time I don't need to keep looking at the watch to know when I should stop, so that I can attend to other duties in my schedule. Another benefit of practicing this way is that you have the discipline to follow through with a planned meditation session and just end when you feel like it.
A true master of knowledge has passed beyond all that is known and become dispassionate towards all vedanās.
- Sn 529
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

I prefer timers that are not in other devices. Just an old-fashioned one.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Insight Timer app
skandha

Post by skandha »

simsapa wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:37 pm I prefer timers that are not in other devices. Just an old-fashioned one.
I hear you. If I were able to find a dedicated timer device with the features I need I would get it. I have settled for just using my phone app for the moment because it has all the features I need and I was just making use of what I already have, but my main qualm about using a smart phone is the connection to the internet and the distractions of other apps in the same device. The internet and the other apps may seem like only a small distraction but I still don't trust myself in the battle against Mara!! :D
A true master of knowledge has passed beyond all that is known and become dispassionate towards all vedanās.
- Sn 529
TLCD96

Post by TLCD96 »

[Bumping for the benefit of others]

I don't know about natural or solar powered timers, but I would suggest looking into the Motivaider. It's fairly expensive, but this is used in the hall at Abhayagiri and it's dead quiet (I believe the leading monk sets it to vibrate after an hour). Iit seems to be designed to be a sort of external reminder for psychological training purposes (e.g. sati).

I've personally been using a "gymboss" vibrating timer for a while; while it's cheaper and works just fine, it's loud and the construction isn't very high quality (malfunctioning buttons, sometimes stops vibrating and needs a hard reset).
All of us are bound by birth, aging, and death.
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

I literally use one of those dollar store kitchen timers. It's cheap and if I lose it, I'm not missing much. The alarm is a little loud but it doesn't really bother me all that much.
Please note: This profile picture is not actually a picture of the user.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

What's the purpose of timing a meditation? Is it used when one has limited time to meditate and needs to leave for work or something? Shouldn't meditation be done secluded and without any worries (like when not having enough time to meditate)?
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I use this timer.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”