Need Mudita Phrases

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Akashad

Need Mudita Phrases

Post by Akashad »

Hello all,

I've decided to make mudita bhavana(sympathetic joy) my main meditation practice.I will be chilling here for the next decade or so..

I need mudita phrases to work with.
Drop Mudita phrases here.

Thx :stirthepot:
bodom

Re: Need Mudita Phrases

Post by bodom »

"May all living beings be freed from all stress & pain."

From the Brahma Vihara chant.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

"May everyone abide in well-being, in freedom from hostility, in freedom from ill-will, in freedom from anxiety, and may they maintain well-being in themselves.

May all beings be released from all suffering.

And may they not be parted from the good fortune they have attained."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

May I be free from jealousy.
May all living beings not be deprived of the good fortune they have attained.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Mudita of all things mate. You will soon learn that there is little to no material on it's development in the classical litterature apart from the 5th century commentary instruction. Mudita, Upekkha are probably some of the most obscure practices.

Here's some material;
Vb13
And how does a monk dwell with mind accompanied by altruistic joy, suffusing one direction? Just as (he), seeing, may have altruistic joy for a lovely, pleasant person; in the same way he suffuses all beings with altruistic joy.

Therein what is altruistic joy? That which in beings is altruistic joy, act of altruistic joy, state of altruistic joy, altruistic joy that is mental freedom (from jealousy). This is called altruistic joy.
AN6.13
Take another mendicant who says: ‘I’ve developed the heart’s release by rejoicing. I’ve cultivated it, made it my vehicle and my basis, kept it up, consolidated it, and properly implemented it. Yet somehow negativity still occupies my mind.’ They should be told, ‘Not so, venerable! … For it is the heart’s release by rejoicing that is the escape from negativity
It is also worth noting that the chinese agama do not translate it as sympathetic joy and they pin it as simply joy or glad about something 喜

Vsm page 309, suggest a method for development.
One who begins the development of gladness10 should not start with the dear person and the rest; for a dear person is not the proximate cause of gladness merely in virtue of dearness, how much less the neutral and the hostile person. One of the opposite sex and one who is dead are also not the field for it.
85. However, the very dear companion can be the proximate cause for it—one who in the commentaries is called a “boon companion,” for he is constantly glad: he laughs first and speaks afterwards. So he should be the first to be pervaded with gladness. Or on seeing or hearing about a dear person being happy, cheerful and glad, gladness can be aroused thus: “This being is indeed glad. How good, how excellent!” For this is what is referred to in the Vibhaòga: “And how does a bhikkhu dwell pervading one direction with his heart endued with gladness? Just as he would be glad on seeing a dear and beloved person, so he pervades all beings with gladness” (Vibh 274).
86. But if his boon companion or the dear person was happy in the past but is now unlucky and unfortunate, then gladness can still be aroused by remembering his past happiness and apprehending the glad aspect in this way: “In the past he had great wealth, a great following and he was always glad.” Or gladness can be aroused by apprehending the future glad aspect in him in this way: “In the future he will again enjoy similar success and will go about in gold palanquins, on the backs of elephants or on horseback, and so
on.”
Having thus aroused gladness with respect to a dear person, he can then direct it successively towards a neutral one, and after that towards a hostile one.
87. But if resentment towards the hostile one arises in him in the way already described, he should make it subside in the same way as described under loving-
kindness (§§14–39).
He should break down the barriers by means of mental impartiality towards the four, that is, towards these three and himself. And by cultivating that sign, developing and repeatedly practicing it, he should increase the absorption to triple and quadruple jhána in the way already stated under loving-kindness.
Next, the versatility consisting in unspecified pervasion in five ways, specified pervasion in seven ways, and directional pervasion in ten ways, and also the advantages described as “He sleeps in comfort,” etc., should be understood in the same way as stated under loving-kindness.
This is the detailed explanation of the development of gladness.
I am too lazy to do this so I’ve experimented a bit similarly to how i cultivate metta in order to rejoice on the behalf of others and all beings.

I focus on the good deeds & qualities of the past, those in the here & now and those to be inevitably performed & cultivated in the future.

When cultivating metta i wish for all beings to be successful and when cultivating mudita i rejoice in their progression towards the goal.

Ie i will think about the beings in various states and that even the hungry ghosts and beings in hell will inevitably leap onward, having payed their debt they too will be merit-makers, of them currently paying their debt & getting reformed and of them having been merit makers in the past.

I think one can figure out a method that works and stick to that but almost nobody does it because there is a lack of supportive material, peers and clear instructions.
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

User1249x wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:32 pm Mudita of all things mate. You will soon learn that there is little to no material on it's development in the classical litterature apart from the 5th century commentary instruction. Mudita, Upekkha are probably some of the most obscure practices.

I think one can figure out a method that works and stick to that but almost nobody does it because there is a lack of supportive material, peers and clear instructions.

I use my own experiences to support my practice.I tend to see the results of my karma (good or bad )fairly quickly so have been experimenting and verifying the dhamma and so far it is spot on.Some things I do I see more results than others,for example I can practice anapanasati all week and even though I feel peace and calm internally, external circumstances rarely change.If anything it gets more emptier kind of like a hermits life.
But the moment i do metta or brahmaviharas things change so significantly and I have watched this pattern for years.Not only metta,when I was a christian I use to wish others happiness and my life was so much happier so it is definitely tied to this mind state of wanting the best for others and kindness.I believe your mind state creates your experience which is why the brahmaviharas is so important to me.It's basically protective karma.Im not saying bad things cant happen but for some reason I just always manage remain unscathed.

So I tried to practice mudita last month,on and off just to get a flavour of what type of road or path this type of karma leads to (since there is so little material) and within the same month got offered a new job at a major hospital,opportunity to do a graduate program,my boss who prior to this meditation never talked to me suddenly looks at me differently and a random stranger offered to pay for my uni degree because I reminded him of somebody he used to know 30 years ago.This all happened in the span of 3 weeks.Plus other opportunities that took ages to reach.
I also remember a year ago I randomly practiced mudita and out of the blue ran into a celebrity who genuinly enjoyed talking to me about deep spiritual subjects and I had to cut it off because he looked like he would never stop the conversation.which is odd because celebrities are the ones usually who has other things to do but there I was telling him I had to run.He was standing the whole time and it was raining.These are all abnormal events.. my life is so uneventful.

Then I researched mudita.Like what exactly does it get rid off.It gets rid of jealousy.What kind of birth do people who are envious get,they get reborn as uninfluential or powerless.When I talk about birth I also mean what kind of experience are you living through.People think I am talking about the next life but no this is what is so crazy about cause and effect it effects the present life.So I am experiencing first hand the effects of mudita like suddenly just holding a higher position for no goddamn reason.

I just find it mind boggling that practices like mudita are so obscure.The Brahmavhmiharas for some weird reasons is so powerful that even if I made dana or offerings it wouldn't compare I get immediate results with half a second of half effort metta phrase.While making dana the results usually come up a week later or just supports me from a distance.

Brahmaviharas seem to be more of a heavier karma or just carries a lot if weight.Some things I notice are way heavier like getting angry it's almost immediate.

Also when I said anapanasati doesn't bring any results I dont mean it in a bad way.. it does bring results but more like emptiness or emptying your life.Like imagine you were the only human left on a different planet watching what used to be earth in the year 10,001AD like that.Its clearing away your life from phenomenon and bringing you to the primordial stand still.So it does bring results but not the ones that I am needing at this moment which is more to do with a happier joyful life however mundane that seems it's what I need at this point in time.

People have different karma we live on different wavelengths.Some people like the emptiness of anapanasati which more like a solitary emptiness or vippasanna emptiness which is more of non attachment emptiness if that makes sense.And theres others like me who prefer keeping life joyful.We all getting there just different paths.🙏
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Well, i am mudita about things working put for you;)
Brahmaviharas are a legitimate practice so keep at it and keep us updated about your progression, would be good to document your experience if you don't mind to.
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

User1249x wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:34 pm Well, i am mudita about things working put for you;)
Brahmaviharas are a legitimate practice so keep at it and keep us updated about your progression, would be good to document your experience if you don't mind to.
Thanks🙌🙌 I'll commit to half an hour of mudita bhavana for the next 4 weeks and I'll document the results each day 🤗
bodom

Post by bodom »

Akashad wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:02 pm
User1249x wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:34 pm Well, i am mudita about things working put for you;)
Thanks🙌🙌 I'll commit to half an hour of mudita bhavana for the next 4 weeks and I'll document the results each day 🤗
The Brahmaviharas are best practiced off the cushion with our everyday interactions with others. It's easy to spread thoughts of love, compassion, sympathetic joy and equanimity for everyone while sitting in a room by ourselves. The real practice is in how we treat others we are in direct contact with. Especially those who might otherwise push our buttons the wrong way. That's when the rubber meets the road.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

praise others for meritorious actions and this itself is merit
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Laddha-sampattito mā vigacchantu.
Laddha-yasato mā vigacchantu.
Laddha-pasaṃsato mā vigacchantu.
Laddha-sukhato mā vigacchantu.

May they not lose the prosperity they have gained.
May they not lose the repute they have gained.
May they not lose the praise they have gained.
May they not lose the happiness they have gained.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Assaji wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:08 pm Laddha-sampattito mā vigacchantu.

may they not lose good kamma they gained
may they not acquire bad kamma
may they be enlightened
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

Assaji wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:08 pm Laddha-sampattito mā vigacchantu.

🙏🙏🙏 thank you so much.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Isnt that strange , it seems all these quotes posted here are leaning towards metta instead of mudita . Mudita is the joy arises in you anytime you experience someone in goodness or something wonderful is happening .
You always gain by giving
bodhifollower

Post by bodhifollower »

May all living beings not lose the good fortune they have gained.