Dreams during meditation. Please give advice.

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
white wolf

Dreams during meditation. Please give advice.

Post by white wolf »

Hello forum members. I practice anapanasati meditation. I focus on breathing. I feel pleasure during focusing on the breathing.

Sometimes I am dreaming during meditation. These dreams are vivid dreams. I stay mindful during dreaming. I do not lose mindfullness. Dreams fade away quickly. There was a dream about a forest. There was a dream about food. Sometimes I am dreaming about ugly monsters. Why does my mind going to dream during meditation? Why do I dream about ugly monsters? Do ugly monsters refer to unwholesome aspects of mind? Should I ask the monster to leave me when I see any ugly monster in dream? Thanks.
Last edited by white wolf on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Vara

Re: Dreams during meditation. Please give advice.

Post by Sam Vara »

It sounds like the hindrance of sloth and torpor. You need to sleep more, and during meditation, exert yourself so that you can stay pleasurably with the meditation object. You can also try opening the eyes slightly, or walking meditation.

I don't think the content of the dreams is significant.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Unless you are sleeping, it isn't really dreaming. You can have clairvoyant visions. If you are doing a concentration practice, the visions are not your object so they are distractions. If you are doing insight then note them as seeing and move on. If you want to do clairvoyance, do it as a separate practice. No one can interpret your visions for you. You will just have to compare what you see with what is going on in your life at the time.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Sounds to me like as Sam said, sloth and torpor--is sometimes referred to as "delusion concentration", which is where the mind feels focused but is actually day dreaming and fantasizing. I'd recommend speaking to a meditation teacher in person as this can take some effort to un-stuck.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:38 pm It sounds like the hindrance of sloth and torpor. You need to sleep more, and during meditation, exert yourself so that you can stay pleasurably with the meditation object. You can also try opening the eyes slightly, or walking meditation.

:goodpost:

Been there, done that, fixed it with either or both of the methods Sam Vara suggests.

For a Western understanding of the state you were slipping into - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia which says -
...Threshold consciousness (commonly called "half-asleep" or "half-awake", or "mind awake body asleep") describes the same mental state of someone who is moving towards sleep or wakefulness, but has not yet completed the transition. Such transitions are usually brief, but can be extended by sleep disturbance or deliberate induction, for example during meditation...
:namaste:
Kim
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

it arise and cease they are just mere vision

the thoughts and concepts originating from them also arise and cease with meaning intentionally imagined

whatever comes will go.. nothing good or bad about it...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

white wolf wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:31 pm ugly monster
Very common is the ugly monster sloth & torpor sinking mind. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:38 pm It sounds like the hindrance of sloth and torpor. You need to sleep more, and during meditation, exert yourself so that you can stay pleasurably with the meditation object. You can also try opening the eyes slightly, or walking meditation.

I Agree with the above.

When I do sitting meditation, I keep my eyes open and focused gently towards the end of my nose. I also prefer to meditate outside (weather permitting) or next to an open window.

:anjali:

Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Please try generating metta for the monsters. Accept them completely for who they are and stop judging them. As an experiment.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is the fifth Mara.
The good thing about is you have now defeated four Mara's.
Now you have to go beyond the fifth Mara to face the rest.

https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.p ... ra#p549952
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
white wolf

Post by white wolf »

Thank you everyone for the helpful posts.
white wolf

Post by white wolf »

Inedible wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:00 pm Please try generating metta for the monsters. Accept them completely for who they are and stop judging them. As an experiment.
Could you tell more about this? What is the meaning of the monsters? Do they refer to unwholesome aspects of my mind? Thanks.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Things, people, and beings tend to look different when you reject them and push them away. If you direct metta at those monsters it is possible they will change and stop being monsters. It doesn't work if you try to change them because that is just more trying to make them go away. So I didn't say that part the first time.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

white wolf wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:48 pm Could you tell more about this? What is the meaning of the monsters? Do they refer to unwholesome aspects of my mind? Thanks.
Monsters are very common images in sloth & torpor. No need to take it seriously.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
white wolf

Post by white wolf »

I understand. Thank you.