Piti and heat

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Akarapat82

Piti and heat

Post by Akarapat82 »

I am from Thailand and I am currently practicing Anapanasati 16. First I take long breath and then the breath gets shorter and shorter. When it gets very short and I can notice the breath very well, Piti will arise and breath will disappear (can no longer feel it). Two types of Piti happen to me. One is what westerner called "brain orgasm" (the tingling feeling felt inside the head). It can be very strong. Second is fulfilling rapture which pervade all over my body.

The problem is that my fulfilling rapture is hot. I talked to my dhammar friends in Thailand and they say that it should be cold because Thailand is hot so it must be cold to achieve sukha, and further suggest to me that I should adopt the 8 Sila into my life. Heat can be manifestation of lust, and I should try to reduce that.

Do you guys who attend "fulfilling rapture" experience it as hot or cold pervasiveness? And are you from hot or cold regions?
confusedlayman

Re: Piti and heat

Post by confusedlayman »

Akarapat82 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:40 am I am from Thailand and I am currently practicing Anapanasati 16. First I take long breath and then the breath gets shorter and shorter. When it gets very short and I can notice the breath very well, Piti will arise and breath will disappear (can no longer feel it). Two types of Piti happen to me. One is what westerner called "brain orgasm" (the tingling feeling felt inside the head). It can be very strong. Second is fulfilling rapture which pervade all over my body.

The problem is that my fulfilling rapture is hot. I talked to my dhammar friends in Thailand and they say that it should be cold because Thailand is hot so it must be cold to achieve sukha, and further suggest to me that I should adopt the 8 Sila into my life. Heat can be manifestation of lust, and I should try to reduce that.

Do you guys who attend "fulfilling rapture" experience it as hot or cold pervasiveness? And are you from hot or cold regions?
I dont know about temperature because it is just perception...

btw.. how do you make rapture spread to body?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Akarapat82 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:40 am The problem is that my fulfilling rapture is hot. I talked to my dhammar friends in Thailand and they say that it should be cold because Thailand is hot so it must be cold to achieve sukha, and further suggest to me that I should adopt the 8 Sila into my life. Heat can be manifestation of lust, and I should try to reduce that.
I think those friends don't really know what they're talking about. Saying the piti should be cool, sounds like bad logic, not real meditation experience.

Everybody's meditation is different; even a senior Ajahn's advice can be wrong for a different person.
8 sila precepts is useful of course.
For me it is warm, not hot, not cool.
I was in a very hot part of Australia (40°c) and the piti was still warm.
Just continue. Don't try to make the piti feel like anything, just work with what you get.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Akarapat82 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:40 am I am from Thailand and I am currently practicing Anapanasati 16. First I take long breath and then the breath gets shorter and shorter. When it gets very short and I can notice the breath very well, Piti will arise and breath will disappear (can no longer feel it). Two types of Piti happen to me. One is what westerner called "brain orgasm" (the tingling feeling felt inside the head). It can be very strong. Second is fulfilling rapture which pervade all over my body.

For me, it’s “dead”. The nervous energy in my brain stops and all feeling from my arms and legs retract and disappear. At this point I get the tingling sensation associated with “piti”.

For me, the transition from piti to sukkha involves letting go of the “root chakra”. That’s the red collected energy at the base of the spine. The same place where the orgasm is initiated.

I don’t feel an orgasm when I release energy from that area. But piti relaxes all my muscles. That root chakra opens. My heart floods with red light. And my mind grows tranquil as it lets go of red light.

Sukha then follows.

It sounds like you’re doing things right. Perhaps just focus a little more on relaxing your inner thigh muscles when you start to achieve piti.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded