Meditating on a characteristic of breath

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
YCS

Meditating on a characteristic of breath

Post by YCS »

Hi,
I had a mind that was restless, so I countered it by observing the singularity of purpose of the breath, ie that it is for exchanging air for the body. I found it ratget useful. Can anyone advise what is this type of meditation called, if any?

I wasn't just observing the breathing. I was contemplating it's single purpose to counter the minds running around looking for many mental objects to grasp.

This is not meditating on the air element right, as it isn't about air character within the body.

Thanks for any advice.
pitithefool

Re: Meditating on a characteristic of breath

Post by pitithefool »

YCS wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:14 pm Hi,
I had a mind that was restless, so I countered it by observing the singularity of purpose of the breath, ie that it is for exchanging air for the body. I found it ratget useful. Can anyone advise what is this type of meditation called, if any?

I wasn't just observing the breathing. I was contemplating it's single purpose to counter the minds running around looking for many mental objects to grasp.

This is not meditating on the air element right, as it isn't about air character within the body.

Thanks for any advice.
It sounds like it could be useful. Gratitude for the breath and the life it gives is beautiful. Equanimity towards it being composed of mere elements is also beautiful.

Take the pragmatic approach: Did unwholesome states subside and wholesome states increase? If so, maybe you're on to something.

Remember, craving begets clinging, clinging begets becoming, becoming begets birth.

Keep meditating :twothumbsup: :anjali:
Please note: This profile picture is not actually a picture of the user.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i did my meditation on breathing when i was restless by comparing the internal wind element to the external wind element (the same). i thought of a hurricane and how it can topple large structures. it was an effective meditation. i've also been able to identify the subtle whooshing of in-and-out breathing which makes it easier to pick up next time.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Just call it Adhi citta sikkha. Untrained heart is usually like a weak tottering man. It has to be given a crutch to stand up strait. Theoretically number of ways to straighten out the heart is endless. Some people can converge their mind on just hearing a Dhamma talk or just on sweeping the temple grounds etc. But only some methods lead to deep immersion.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Nice post. I really tried to get (understand) your message

Vipassana can't be reinvented buddy. Just follow the breathe, it's all part of insight meditation. Don't reinvent the wheel!

Calming and controlling the mind, yep that's buddhist meditation, working on mindfulness. Look at your breath in the cold and meditate on it. It is still anapanasati not something new. Good luck with your new cult! Or Buddhist meditation friend.