Compare Anuruddhamahāvitakka sutta AN 8.30 & MA 74

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
starter

Compare Anuruddhamahāvitakka sutta AN 8.30 & MA 74

Post by starter »

AN 8.30: https://suttacentral.net/an8.30/en/sujato

Eight thoughts of a great person:

“This dhamma is for those of few desires, not for those of many desires. “appicchassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo mahicchassa;

It’s for the contented, not those who lack contentment. santuṭṭhassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo asantuṭṭhassa;

It’s for the secluded, not those who enjoy company. pavivittassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo saṅgaṇikārāmassa;

It’s for the energetic, not the lazy. āraddhavīriyassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo kusītassa;

It’s for the mindful, not the unmindful. upaṭṭhitassatissāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo muṭṭhassatissa; [... He has utmost mindfulness and alertness/meticulousness, and can remember and recall what was said and done long ago". Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu satimā hoti paramena satinepakkena samannāgato, cirakatampi cirabhāsitampi saritā anussaritā.]

It’s for those with immersion, not those without immersion. samāhitassāyaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo asamāhitassa; [He has the four jhanas.]

It’s for the wise, not the witless.”paññavato ayaṃ dhammo, nāyaṃ dhammo duppaññassā”ti. [He possesses the insight that discerns arising and passing away, which is noble and penetrative and leads to the complete destruction of suffering.]

This Dhamma is for one who delights in non-proliferation, who takes delight in non-proliferation, not for one who delights in proliferation, who takes delight in proliferation.
‘nippapañcārāmassāyaṃ dhammo nippapañcaratino, nāyaṃ dhammo papañcārāmassa
papañcaratino’ti.

“When, Anuruddha, you reflect on these eight thoughts of a great person, then, as much as you wish, secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, you will enter and dwell in the first jhāna, ... the fourth jhāna, ..."

MA 74: https://suttacentral.net/ma74/lzh/taisho

My translation is in the parentheses (Ven. Analayo's translation analayo2013_lecture_05_notes https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/an ... -2013/8289 is referenced).

0541a10 … “若汝成就 此大人八念者,汝必能離欲、離惡不善之 法,至得第四禪成就遊。...”

0541c07 佛言:「大人八念者,謂道 從無欲,非有欲得。道從知足,非無厭得。道 從遠離,非樂聚會,非住聚會,非合聚會 得。道從精勤,非懈怠得。道從正念,非邪念 得。道從定意,非亂意得。道從智慧,非愚癡 得。道從不戲、樂不戲、行不戲,非戲、非樂戲、 非行戲得。

[The eight thoughts of a great man are:
This Dhamma is attained through having no desires, not through
having desires."
(2) "... through contentment, not through discontent."
(3) "... through seclusion, not through rejoicing in company,
dwelling in company, being together with company."
(4) "... through effort, not through indolence."
(5) "... through right mindfulness, not through wrong mindfulness."
(6) "... through a concentrated mind, not through a distracted mind."
(7) "... through wisdom, not through delusion.
(8) 'This Dhamma is attained through non-proliferation, delighting in non-proliferation, and practicing non-proliferation, not through proliferation, not through delighting in proliferation, not through practicing proliferation.

0541c13「云何道從無欲,非有欲得?謂比 丘得無欲,自知得無欲,不令他人知我無 欲,得知足、得遠離、得精勤、得正念、得定 意、得智慧、得不戲;自知得不戲,不欲令 他知我無欲,是謂道從無欲,非有欲得。

0541c17「云 何道從知足,非無厭得?謂比丘行知足,衣 取覆形,食取充軀,是謂道從知足,非無 厭得。

0541c20「云何道從遠離,非樂聚會,非住聚會, 非合聚會得?謂比丘行遠離,成就二遠離, 身及心俱遠離,是謂道從遠離,非樂聚會, 非住聚會,非合聚會得。

0541c23「云何道從精 勤 ,非 懈怠得?謂比丘常行精進,斷惡不善,修諸 善法,恒自起意,專一堅固,為諸善本不捨 方便,是謂道從精勤,非懈怠得。

0541c26「云何道從 正念,非邪念得?謂比丘觀內身如身,觀內 覺、心、法如法,是謂道從正念,非邪念得。 [My translation: "How is this Dhamma attained through right mindfulness, not through wrong mindfulness? It is that a monk contemplates the
body in the body as body, contemplates the feeling in the feeling as feeling ... the states of mind ... mental phenomena as mental phenomena
... ]

0541c28「云 何道從定意,非亂意得?謂比丘離欲、離惡 不善之法,至得第四禪成就遊,是謂道從 定意,非亂意得。

0542a02「云何道從智慧,非愚癡得? 謂比丘修行智慧,觀興衰法,得如是智,聖 慧明達,分別曉了,以正盡苦,是謂道從智 慧,非愚癡得。["How is this Dhamma attained through wisdom, not through delusion? It is that a monk dwells developing wisdom, contemplating the rise and fall of Dhammas (five aggregates ...), attaining such wisdom that is noble and penetrating, discriminating and comprehending, for the complete destruction of suffering.]

0542a05「云何道從不戲、樂不戲、行不 戲,非戲、非樂戲、非行戲得?謂比丘意常滅 戲,樂住無餘涅槃,心恒樂住,歡喜意解,是謂 道從不戲、樂不戲、行不戲,非戲、非樂戲、非 行戲得。["How is the Dhamma attained through non-proliferation,
delighting in non-proliferation, and practicing non-proliferation, not through proliferation, not through delighting in proliferation, not through practicing proliferation? It is that a
monk's mind constantly extinguishes proliferation and enjoys
abiding in remainderless Nibbana, his mind continuously delights in
this abiding, rejoicing in mind liberation. ..."]

In addition to some minor differences, I translated "道" as "Dhamma", not as "path" as Ven. Analayo did.

MA 74 seems to make more sense for our practice than the current translations of AN 8.30.

Metta,

Starter
confusedlayman

Re: Compare Anuruddhamahāvitakka sutta AN 8.30 & MA 74

Post by confusedlayman »

why u say dhamma is not path? what is meaning of path? if dhamma is not path, what you call it?
Last edited by DNS on Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Only quote the part you are responding to
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
starter

Post by starter »

I did not say "Dhamma is not path". I only chose "Dhamma" instead of "Path" to translate "道”. The Dhamma is not only the path, but also the other three noble truths.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am
Can you edit your above post please so that you don’t quote the whole text in question. It makes for awful reading.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
coconut

Post by coconut »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:00 pm
Can you edit your above post please so that you don’t quote the whole text in question. It makes for awful reading.
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:37 pm I think he was trying to say something along the lines of don’t have the aversion to block them and the problem disappears.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

coconut wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:37 pm I think he was trying to say something along the lines of don’t have the aversion to block them and the problem disappears.
I don’t know why you are posting that? I was explaining what I thought was SDC’s position there, not my own. It’s also against the rules to quote like that, I believe (the long post of confusedlayman).
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

]

why u say dhamma is not path? what is meaning of path? if dhamma is not path, what you call it?
[/quote]

I am unable to edit the previous post.. so i post here same query without quote of OP
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
coconut

Post by coconut »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 pm
coconut wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 pm

I don’t know why you are posting that? I was explaining what I thought was SDC’s position there, not my own. It’s also against the rules to quote like that, I believe (the long post of confusedlayman).
its hard to clean up posts on mobile, and usually breaks the quotes