Posture

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
pitithefool

Re: Posture

Post by pitithefool »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:08 am
I used to meditate for at least 8 hours per day, including :

1. sitting on the floor in Thai swastika posture (where both legs are folded in the same direction; thus one ankle in the groin and one ankle to the side) for over 2 hours.

2. standing meditation in one spot for 90 minutes

3. sitting on a backless stool for many hours

cross-legged with spine not erect will not be better than the above
No I don't think it would necessarily be an improvement but they are all sort of variations an the theme of good posture, which you pointed out earlier should be observed. That study actually backs up the view that it's beneficial to have an erect posture and not lean the back on a tree, as you've recommended.
Please note: This profile picture is not actually a picture of the user.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

pitithefool wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:15 am ....
Forced cross-legged posture can harm the body and breathing. Hip-flexor muscles directly control the diaphragm (that breathes). Take care fondling with Hindu yoga.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:21 am
Take care fondling with Hindu yoga.

I can't do full lotus, no way. I'm pretty convinced (I'm a white westerner) that it would result in damage to my meniscus after maybe 20 minutes. I'm limited to half lotus, burmese or my trusty seiza bench.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Attaining the correct posture is actually a type of intelligence(body intelligence, that can be learned) . If the spine can be maintained erect without much muscular compensation, just gravity doing its job, it will be a huge stress off the mind. Just sitting can be a pleasure.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
frank k

Post by frank k »

I wrote a book on the topic here:
https://lucid24.org/misc/qigor/eight-pi ... ndex.html

Even if one isn't aiming for lotus, a bunch of exercises I describe and video are going help limber you up and improve whatever sitting posture you are shooting for.

And be sure to read the section of that article under:
🏃📐 ujuṃ kāyaṃ: proper way to straighten spine

-------------------------------

If you can do jhana, and enough of your energy channels are opened up, sitting straight will be effortless, and maintainable for hours easily.
It will feel like those self inflating thin camping air mattresses. When you do pacify / passaddhi, the relaxation supercharges the qi flow and forces that permeated everywhere, and you literally just feel like a balloon inflating by itself.

But until that time, doing yoga and mobility exercises intelligently will soften you up to accelerate the process.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

frank k wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:17 pm I wrote a book on the topic here:
Thank you Frank :D