Deep Absorption in Gold and White Lights During Meditation

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
ranaya

Deep Absorption in Gold and White Lights During Meditation

Post by ranaya »

Dear Dharma Friends,

Hi, I have been doing Samatha meditation for many years and combined it with Vipassana later on. With the deepening of this practise, for few months now, I see a shimmering deep golden light first and then I get absorbed to the clear light of the mind in which our self totally dissolves and the personality totally vanishes.

In my opinion, this totality we experience can be called the Prabassara Chittha, or the true nature of our mind according to the Theravada Buddhism (TB). But what is the right terminology for that shimmering deep, gold light ? What it's called in TB ?

Thanks in advance
Assaji

Re: Deep Absorption in Gold and White Lights During Meditation

Post by Assaji »

Dear Ranaya,
ranaya wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:14 am With the deepening of this practise, for few months now, I see a shimmering deep golden light first and then I get absorbed to the clear light of the mind in which our self totally dissolves and the personality totally vanishes.

In my opinion, this totality we experience can be called the Prabassara Chittha, or the true nature of our mind according to the Theravada Buddhism (TB). But what is the right terminology for that shimmering deep, gold light ? What it's called in TB ?
It's hard to say from such a short description. However, it sounds like you enter a clear light Kasiṇa (totality), and probably the initial nimitta isn't clear and stable - hence it is shimmering and golden.

In Kasiṇa attainments, indeed it may seem that the personality vanishes and our self dissolves.

Congratulations on your attainment, whatever it is!

:anjali:
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Maybe it's the shimmering of the Prabhassara-citta? "Prabhassara" means "radiant, shining forth". Shining is usually golden...
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Wonderful. To my knowledge, the light you see is called the Patibhaga nimitta in Theravada. A counter image of a very calm citta.

When the image and the citta converge together it's called Appana or absorption.

The experience of totality may be called the Mahaggata citta or Jhana citta.

If you are willing, please share more details of your technique etc.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
ranaya

Post by ranaya »

Dear All,

Thanks all for your replies and information.

I'll explain a bit about the whole process.

I started Samatha meditation with keeping a mental image of a Buddha while memorizing 9 great qualities of him. Well this I did long time ago and I was able to keep this mental image for a certain period during meditation. Gradually I felt like me and the object of the meditation became one and finally the object also disappeared (or kind of dissolved) with me.

With this dissolvement, I started to see different types of lights in mind. When witnessing these lights, I certainly felt that the witnessing person also exists. Despite the arousal of subtle thoughts, I also felt deep calmness, very lightweight feeling of my physical body. Could engage in many physical activities without taking a rest and was able to attend into daily activities with a certain peace, equanimity in mind. At this point, despite the clam abiding nature, still the passing and the arising of the thoughts was felt like a burden (while being aware of them). Even though I tried not to get identified with the thoughts, I felt, there's still something to do.

Now with the dissolving of the object, I simply sat down with the calm abiding mind without any fixed objects. So let's say, at this point, now my mind is not abiding in anything. Thoughts are arising and passing, but I started to feel that the witnessing person is also disappearing. I came to realize the dependant nature of the witnessing person and the thought process --> "Had it not been for the subtle identification of the thoughts by the witnessing person, the thoughts wouldn't have arisen at all" (something like that). With the disappearing of this thought witnessing guy, I started to see the glimpses of clear light of the mind and this has deepened gradually. There were few occasions I was totally absorbed in this white light, for a very brief period of time. At this stage, the witnessing person is totally gone, but for a very brief period of time. This was experienced in sleep as well as when I wake up in the morning.

After let's say few months of this phase, then I started to see the shimmering gold light followed by a very intense clear light of the mind. This very intense light is quite distinguishable from the previous brief one, to be honest, non was actually absorbed in it and non came out of it ! This is the best description I can give you to this experience. Either this is experienced by NO ONE or EVERYONE, a feeling like that !

Shifting from gold to clear light looks like below:
https://ibb.co/ZK0Lvf6

But I can tell you for sure, in shimmering gold light, even in that subtlety, I still felt like someone was there. That's why I wonder what could this really be ?

You all can shed some light into this.....

May you all attain the supreme Nibbana in one lifetime _/|\_
Last edited by ranaya on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Sadhu!

Think of the lights as a mental artifact that is giving an indication how stable the mind(citta) is. Shimmering light means citta is not stable enough. More stable the citta, steadier the light. Its the absorbtion in to the clear steady light you want to develop. I think.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

ranaya wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:14 am Dear Dharma Friends,

Hi, I have been doing Samatha meditation for many years and combined it with Vipassana later on. With the deepening of this practise, for few months now, I see a shimmering deep golden light first and then I get absorbed to the clear light of the mind in which our self totally dissolves and the personality totally vanishes.

Thanks in advance
It’s a nimitta. Sounds like you have reached either access concentration or Jhana. These totalities are called Kasinas. They aren’t the true nature of the mind. They are merely impermanent meditative attainments. Don’t fall into the same trap as the ascetics in DN 1.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
ranaya

Post by ranaya »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:18 pm It’s a nimitta. Sounds like you have reached either access concentration or Jhana. These totalities are called Kasinas. They aren’t the true nature of the mind. They are merely impermanent meditative attainments. Don’t fall into the same trap as the ascetics in DN 1.
Did you read my second post ? Perhaps you missed that part !

"After let's say few months of this phase, then I started to see the shimmering gold light followed by a very intense clear light of the mind. This very intense light is quite distinguishable from the previous brief one, to be honest, non was actually absorbed in it and non came out of it ! This is the best description I can give you to this experience. Either this is experienced by NO ONE or EVERYONE, a feeling like that"
Last edited by ranaya on Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

I don’t think you’ll find my opinion all that interesting - but, nonetheless...

I have four distinct meditations that I do. They all rely on chakras and the heart.

A chakra is simply a gathering place for a colour kasina. Most will argue chakras are very “Hindu” “non-Buddhist” concepts. I think a person is foolish if they attempt to calm the muscles and ligatures of the body without (at least) a knowledge of the blue throat chakra.

Ahem. Moving on. The four heart meditations I do are earth kasina; water; fire; and wind kasina.

The earth kasina is associated with the red chakra. The water kasina is associated with the blue chakra. The fire kasina is associated with the white and yellow chakras.

The wind kasina is associated with a clear presence of neither pleasure nor pain (in other words - a state where the body cannot be felt).

When I read what you write - it sounds to me IMO that you are transitioning from what would be my third “jhana” (if I can even call it that) - into my fourth.

So a transition from fire kasina into wind kasina. That would explain the golden radiance as well as the clear purity.

In my experience the lack of a body comes with equanimity - not a complete dissociation of the self. So, I can’t “identify” with what you’re experiencing in all respects.

Nonetheless - it sounds rather delightful. And good for you and thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading about your experience.

My 2 cents 🧐
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I hope you are not mistaken the day light transparent through your eye lids.
You can experience Pabasara citta without Samatha. There are three main categories of Pabasara Citta when you practice Sila Samadhi and Panna.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
ranaya

Post by ranaya »

SarathW wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:45 am I hope you are not mistaken the day light transparent through your eye lids.
You can experience Pabasara citta without Samatha. There are three main categories of Pabasara Citta when you practice Sila Samadhi and Panna.
Thanks for your comment, not at all. This is the way, it happened to me. I am also not saying Samatha is mandatory for reaching out that stage. I can enter into that state whenever I want in meditation. I think we atleast need Jhanic practice to retain in that experience during meditation.
SamanaJohann2

Post by SamanaJohann2 »

ranaya wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:14 am Dear Dharma Friends,

Thanks in advance
Did/does it last? Then just call it: not sure, not secure, good housholder, if looking after hardwood. Not sure, is a good word for it, isn't it?
ranaya

Post by ranaya »

Thanks a lot for sharing your wonderful insight highlighting the link between chakras and jhanas.
Pondera wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:34 am When I read what you write - it sounds to me IMO that you are transitioning from what would be my third “jhana” (if I can even call it that) - into my fourth.
But in this case, in 4th, I have never felt that the self is totally dissolved ! I can also clearly distinguish 3rd and 4th levels since observer is not totally vanished.
Pondera wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:34 am In my experience the lack of a body comes with equanimity - not a complete dissociation of the self. So, I can’t “identify” with what you’re experiencing in all respects.
Btw, the lack of body must definitely be a jhanic experience. I just stated it as an intermediary experience and didn't mean to link it into the Chittha totality.