The breath as a distraction

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
BrokenBones

Re: The breath as a distraction

Post by BrokenBones »

woodsman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:55 am Hello everyone,

I recently considered the possibility that counting/following and otherwise focussing on the breath might be getting in the way of my sessions developing as they have been in a state of attrition for some time. This conclusion seems to have been correct - instead of seeing the breath as the main focus of my practice I see it now as a means to relax the body and mind before dropping it as a singular focus and allowing the mind to remain open with a peripheral awareness of the breath as a sort of anchor. does this make sense to anyone else?

If so I would appreciate any link s you may have that validates this?

Thanks _/|\_
Makes perfect sense to me. I think that a lot of issues arise from over concentrating and not being open to a whole body/mind experience... that's not to belittle the helpfulness of breath in entering different states, but over the years(centuries) it's been turned into a laser focus type concentration which doesn't compute with the Suttas at all.

Consider the suttas where no meditation object is mentioned at all and the Buddha jumps straight into advising people to do jhana and the jhana similes are given... seems that the main job is to find some gladness associated with the body and work from there... the breath is great as a backdrop to doing this.

Obviously, to be able to find joy within, needs a lot of groundwork beforehand... right view, sila, right effort throughout the day, right thought etc.

As for links... there are several great teachers, each with their own slant on things... it doesn't hurt to experiment and see which approach works best for you... meditation and the inner experience is a very personal and personally perceived experience.

I might perceive and approach practice in one way and you might perceive your practice in a different fashion altogether, whereas in reality we may be doing pretty much the same thing.

As for links, the teachers I'd search out (in no particular order) would be...

Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Ayya Khema
Bhante Sona
Bhante Vimalaramsi
Bhante Gunaratana

I'm having good success with Ayya Khema's teachings at the moment but each of the teachers above demonstrate a profound understanding of the Sutta Jhana's and it boils down to what resonates with you whilst keeping the Sutta's in mind as the overarching authority.

Also, it would be beneficial to listen to talks regarding the whole of the eightfold path and not just focus on meditation. I've found Thanissaro Bhikhu and Ajahn Sona give fine (uplifting) talks.

Whenever the Buddha taught laypeople, it seems his aim was always to calm and gladden the mind of the listeners.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Thank for such comprehensive posts 🙏
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Srilankaputra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 am
The2nd wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:30 pm Watching the breath can be done so as to distract yourself from your situation, it can be done so as to block out the larger reality or the bigger picture, which is not mindfulness.
'Knowing that you are breathing while you are doing things' is an awareness which includes your entire situation rather than 'focussing on the breath' which excludes the bigger picture.
That awareness which is inclusive is required to understand your situation.

You can , as you say, initially focus on the breath as a relaxtion method, but that relaxation technique is not the mindfulness that needs to be developed or anapanasati.
:goodpost:

As i understand, its important to distinguish the kammatthana from the heart, which we are trying to develop. When sati becomes well established in the heart, the quality of indriyasamvara comes to fulfilment and includes collectedness or samadhi. Another quality that arises with sati is Kammaññatā or wieldiness. If one wishes, one can keep awareness on the breath and experience deeper and deeper states of samadhi and/or it can be directed towards investigating the nature of reality.
Some other qualities that are common to all Skilful internal states. Practical understanding of which is very useful in giving rise to and maintaining Skilful internal state.

Alobha - A Cooling sense of detachment. Heart becomes like a lotus leaf.

Adosa - A cooling sense of non-resistance, non-annoyance.

Lahuta- lightheartedness, non-sluggishness.

And some qualities common to all unskilful internal states.

Uddhacca- Restlessness, disquietude.

Moha - Non-clarity

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!