Walking meditation

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Srilankaputra

Re: Walking meditation

Post by Srilankaputra »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:35 am And the general idea is, I think, that of mastery; that one can train oneself to get better and better, and increase the hit-rate.
That's very interesting. Kind of mirrors a question that I have been asking myself. Why is it hit and miss? The answer I could come up with is, there is still a degree of fumbling in the dark.
Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
Interesting quote. One could say this is talking about mastery. I think it's also talking about understanding(pañña). Coming to such a level of understanding regarding the subtleties of one's work that it hardly goes wrong.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Srilankaputra wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:56 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:35 am And the general idea is, I think, that of mastery; that one can train oneself to get better and better, and increase the hit-rate.
That's very interesting. Kind of mirrors a question that I have been asking myself. Why is it hit and miss? The answer I could come up with is, there is still a degree of fumbling in the dark.
Agreed. It might be that the technique is still being improperly practised; or it might be that old kamma fruits at different unpredictable times, and leads to our efforts having mixed results.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:55 pm
Srilankaputra wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:56 pm
Agreed. It might be that the technique is still being improperly practised; or it might be that old kamma fruits at different unpredictable times, and leads to our efforts having mixed results.
Agree, I was thinking more in terms of opposing forces at work in a given instance or meditation session. For example,
This venerable one does not understand in such a way that he would have no hatred; thus hatred overcomes him and persists.

nāyamāyasmā tathā pajānāti yathā pajānato doso na hoti, tathāhimaṁ āyasmantaṁ doso abhibhuyya tiṭṭhati
Truly growing to the level of being an island to oneself.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!