Karuna Bhavana Phrases

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Akashad

Karuna Bhavana Phrases

Post by Akashad »

Hello all,

I need Karuna phrases.

I looked online but it seems to be mixing it with metta bhavana phrases.

I know that metta bhavana wishes others happiness and karuna bhavana wishes others to be free from suffering so all I got is:

"May you be free from suffering".

Shoul I start getting more specific like:

Free from illness.
Free from war.
Free from oppression.
Free from violence.
Free from poverty.
Free from depression.
Free from hatred.
Free from cruelty.

Any advice?

Thanks🙏
Assaji

Re: Karuna Bhavana Phrases

Post by Assaji »

Hello Akashad,

Yogāvacara’s manual (p. 73) explains the direction of compassion (karuṇā) as:
Alābhā pamuñcantu ayasā pamuñcantu nindā pamuñcantu dukkhā pamuñcantu sabbe sattā, sattā averā hontu abyāpajjhā hontu anighā hontu sukhī attānam pariharantu.

May all creatures be free from loss, free from ill-repute, free from blame; may all creatures be free from suffering; may all creatures be free from hatred, free from oppression, free from trouble, may they take care of themselves and be happy.
:anjali:
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

Assaji wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:33 am Hello Akashad,

Yogāvacara’s manual (p. 73) explains the direction of compassion (karuṇā) as:
Alābhā pamuñcantu ayasā pamuñcantu nindā pamuñcantu dukkhā pamuñcantu sabbe sattā, sattā averā hontu abyāpajjhā hontu anighā hontu sukhī attānam pariharantu.

May all creatures be free from loss, free from ill-repute, free from blame; may all creatures be free from suffering; may all creatures be free from hatred, free from oppression, free from trouble, may they take care of themselves and be happy.
Thank you so much this was very helpful. The phrases really did generate compassionate feelings thanks🙏🙏
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Metta and karuna feelings also different
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

I think that many of the metta phrases will work for karuna, the difference being that you first bring to mind the first noble truth of dukkha. I think this deep recognition of the pervasiveness of dukkha can by itself bring forth karuna.
If you begin with someone you truly care for, recognize that they are subject to the inevitable pains and sorrows of existence (perhaps you know of their specifics) and that they are also subject to the dukkha they create for themselves. From that initial awareness, some sincere phrases could be:
May you find relief and comfort.
May you not suffer unnecessarily from your pains and sorrows.
May you come to know true peace and ease.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Thanks for all the metta or compassion prayers.

Almost sound like you need a buddhist prayer book

Enlightenment in Theravada is more about the individual and his liberation than saving all beings. What do you think?

In the mood for prayer? In the mood for helping others? Can all beings fit in nibbana? Are we working to cross the stream, to get to the other side of suffering or are we trying to heal the world that is dying anyway no matter what we do? Thanks for the post.