Spiritual highs and insomnia

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Nobodyisspecial

Spiritual highs and insomnia

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Jack kornfield is one of the only author I know that explains spiritual highs. Sure bransington talks about insomnia as well. Today I wanted to talk about what Jack kornfield teaches and my own understanding of spiritual highs. Meditation leads to spiritual highs. Reading can also increase spiritual highs. Spiritual highs lead to insomnia. Spiritual highs can be reduced by 1) heavy exercise 2) heavy diet, like meat 3) orgasm 4) the next day you usually are over your spiritual high and are ready to do more meditation and reading.

Insomnia is no fun. Being maxed out on a spiritual high where you can't read or meditate anymore is no fun for that day. But climbing the spiritual mountain to enlightenment and arhatship is more fun than the people who climb Mount Everest. It's lonely at the top of the mountain, see you there!
Akashad

Re: Spiritual highs and insomnia

Post by Akashad »

It's an excess of high vibrations in our system.It causes insomnia and lucid dreaming because of excess vibrations.

The more refined we get the more energy we have absorbed.

Just like an atom has to absorb energy to be pushed up to a higher energy level.

Same as us.

The more energy we absorb through meditation unification of mind,celibacy absorption of sexual energy which is very powerful as it creates life,renunciation,restraint the higher our vibrations get.

So we become super refined almost like gods or devas.

THE PROBLEM IS..

We Live on Earth.

The HIGHER YOUR VIBRATION =The More Ungrounded.

So people will sell all their belongings give up everything live in a cave meditating not a care about food or their bodies die blissfully reborn in a higher realm.

These are the kind of people who will walk up to you and talk about psychic powers,and saw this spirit ,Angel's sent me a message,devas came to visit.. etc...their not stable as in not grounded.Their not wrong they may very well experienced these things it's just their not Connected to earth.As in their house is a mess Bill's unpaid material things are bad meditate and God..its not...like...effective for a human birth to have your head up in the clouds all the time.

When you meditate and have like the highest jhanas form I mean..its really hard to look at life and like...give a damn about it.

It just seems so far away and like not even connected to you.

But you HAVE TO cause your on Earth.

So you begin this process of Integration.

So every spiritual practitioner who wishes to stay on earth needs to GROUND themselves.Meaning after you spent hours meditation go do gardening,do exercise release that excess energy.

Because having a super high vibration will mean you no longer resonate with earth vibration and that means you'll be headed to a higher realm soon as your consciousness does not reflect a human rebirth.

Grounding your vibration is important to keep the body healthy.Too high and too low will mean rebirth in the corresponding realm.

People with High Vibration Have A VERY HARD TIME connecting to people on earth.Like you cant explain insights or you sound really crazy...Nikolas Tesla had a very high vibration but people always said he spoke very weird like an alien like you couldn't connect to him.

This excess energy causes so much activity in your dreams..you cant sleep cause you have so much energy to do things.

What I do is go out in nature,exercise,some people bury themselves in the soil,walk bare foot on the earth or I use a stone called hematite which is quite heavy even if it's a small ring and put it under your pillow and it will pull all your energy down.Only problem is with grounding stones if your not used to it you'll get a strong migraine and feel very sleepy.Its unbearable at first but it will pull your energy down and knock you unconscious you wont have crazy lucid vicid dreams or insomnia it will make you feel heavy and tired like the Earth Is Heavy.

Jack Kornfiekd is the only teacher I know who talks about grounding I truly appreciate that.
samseva

Post by samseva »

It would be best to avoid thinking of "spiritual highs," and confusing it with mania.
Nobodyisspecial wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:39 pm Being maxed out on a spiritual high where you can't read or meditate anymore is no fun for that day.
If that's the case, it isn't a "spiritual high" at all.

All states of mind of which there is the hindrance/fetter of restlessness (uddhacca), from over-exertion for example, is an unwholesome state of mind.
“Bhikkhus, when one attends carelessly, unarisen sensual desire arises and arisen sensual desire increases and expands; [85] when one attends carelessly, unarisen ill will arises and arisen ill will increases and expands; when one attends carelessly, unarisen sloth and torpor arise and arisen sloth and torpor increase and expand; when one attends carelessly, unarisen restlessness and remorse arise and arisen restlessness and remorse increase and expand; when one attends carelessly, unarisen doubt arises and arisen doubt increases and expands. Also, the unarisen enlightenment factor of mindfulness does not arise and the arisen enlightenment factor of mindfulness ceases ... the unarisen enlightenment factor of equanimity does not arise and the arisen enlightenment factor of equanimity ceases.”

When one attends carefully, bhikkhus, unarisen sensual desire does not arise and arisen sensual desire is abandoned. When one attends carefully, unarisen ill will … sloth and torpor … restlessness and remorse ... doubt does not arise and arisen doubt is abandoned. Also, the unarisen enlightenment factor of mindfulness arises and the arisen enlightenment factor of mindfulness comes to fulfilment by development … the unarisen enlightenment factor of equanimity arises and the arisen enlightenment factor of equanimity comes to fulfilment by development.”
—SN 46.24
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

Walking meditation before bed will
make it easier for us to fall asleep.
That's (one of) the ways I can sleep
quickly.
:anjali:
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What is spiritual high mean?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

I figure it means that there is too much energy in the body brought on by meditative bliss or overexertion. There are things you can do when this happens. The aim is to reverse the upward energy flow down into the body, and release any excess. While sitting, you can bring your awareness down from the head to the pelvic area and visualise the energy starting to flow down from the top of the crown into the whole area of the body that is in contact with the floor. When you can feel the flow moving downward, from there let it go into the ground (you can visualise roots through which it's released). Off the cushion grounding yoga exercises with awareness in the body before bedtime can help. Long holds of child's pose, or some gentle yin yoga.

However, even if you can't sleep, you can stay mindful and meditate and have a fairly restful night.
Last edited by Dhamma Chameleon on Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Nobodyisspecial wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:39 pm Jack kornfield is one of the only author I know that explains spiritual highs. Sure bransington talks about insomnia as well. Today I wanted to talk about what Jack kornfield teaches and my own understanding of spiritual highs. Meditation leads to spiritual highs. Reading can also increase spiritual highs. Spiritual highs lead to insomnia. Spiritual highs can be reduced by 1) heavy exercise 2) heavy diet, like meat 3) orgasm 4) the next day you usually are over your spiritual high and are ready to do more meditation and reading.

Insomnia is no fun. Being maxed out on a spiritual high where you can't read or meditate anymore is no fun for that day. But climbing the spiritual mountain to enlightenment and arhatship is more fun than the people who climb Mount Everest. It's lonely at the top of the mountain, see you there!
Both people looks con man to me … there is no such things as spiritual high if I’m not wrong
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

I am just reading about spirituality and mania and came across this table. It gives you an idea of how spiritual highs can be a sign of illness, but also of spiritual practice. The line between them is very thin and they can get mixed together. In the end it's about how you manage and learn from the experience.

Veering a little OT, here is an engaging account of how one man's refusal to pathologise his spiritual mania saved his life. A friend is having a spiritual/manic episode so it's on my mind.
Attachments
mania.png
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I recall needing a lot less sleep on meditation retreats. Outside of that environment I'd associate insomnia with psychological issues.
Buddha save me from new-agers!