Samadhi Practice Causes No Thoughts

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Akashad

Samadhi Practice Causes No Thoughts

Post by Akashad »

Hello everyone,

I have a question.I'm not super religious but I've been practicing samadhi meditation /staying with the breath for 12 years and 6 years ago I noticed my thoughts gradually stopped and it hasn't come back.

The reason I'm asking is I recently stumbled on my journals from high school and I remembered I use to have this narrator or voice in my head.I don't know if it's a dream but there WAS someone that talks in your head.Your inner voice.Like the voice just comments about everything.. when you embaress yourself it says stuff like Oh your so stupid!...etc.or it just comments about random stuff...I dont remember if it ever happened and the only reason I remember is because I went through my journal and I was writing about how my inner critic just makes me feel worse..??

.....Inner Who??

I have thoughts if I am WILLING myself to think OutLoud like if I am doing metta meditation like May you be Free from Suffering and I am saying that phrase outloud in my head...

But i dont have that running commentary and could anyone please give me insight as to whether thoughtless awareness is a byproduct from samadhi meditation is it permanent...I dont remember the inner critic voice anymore but vaguely remember it was once a part of my life..

Also do you have this experience???Is it linked to samadhi practice?
Thank you🙏
samseva

Re: Samadhi Practice Causes No Thoughts

Post by samseva »

It's difficult to say if it is directly related to it, but not having constant thoughts and verbal thinking is definitely something positive—which can happen from developing one's practice.
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Hi Akashad,

That is a very interesting post. I really appreciate your post. Here is a few comments.

1) I don't think the state of thoughtlessness is permanent if you have not attained the cessation of consciousness.
It sounds like you are really getting deep and theoretical with your meditation. That is very good. You are probably beyond many western dhamma teachers or nearly all teachers.

2) like I said everything is impermanent. But full enlightenment is I think a bit static. Meaning could paranibbana be another eternalism doctrine? I guess not?

3) learn to live without the narrator. Just try to get use to life without a inner critic, you might enjoy that. Like I said you are beyond many meditators in spiritual transformation. You are beyond your own understanding. That is good, it's called exploration. Keep up the good practice and just find ease in being quiet and alone with no sense of self. Look my friend, you just need to realize you are almost close to the other side of the stream of suffering and social influence. The other side of the stream is nibbana. Just realize that and find ease being beyond in social norms and ordinary states of mind.

I don't have this experience in the same way you do. I still have an inner voice and a lot of other voices of mental health problems within psychosis my friend. It's definitely the phenomenon of Samadhi practice. Six years of silence? What does the sattipathana sutra say? 7 years maximum before you reach enlightenment. It kind of sound like it only took you six. You are not like how you use to be. Just adjust to the altered state and once your comfortable in your mental state is there any suffering left?
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

mind voice will be off from second jhana or to one who can direct mind to nibbana outside meditation by perceiving signless.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...