The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
confusedlayman

Re: Anapanasati and Jhana

Post by confusedlayman »

BrokenBones wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:27 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:43 am
BrokenBones wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:34 am

I'd love to see these suttas.
See buddhas own jhana enlightenment experience... he use the word after emerging from jhana ... also see 4th jhana has only perception of equanimity
No he doesn't and the equanimity is used for further insights.
u cant do insight in 4th jhana as will is lost in 2nd jhana and thinking lost when someone 2nd jhana happens...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Satima00

Post by Satima00 »

SDC wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:27 am
Satima00 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:19 pm
SDC wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:44 pm

It seems Sariputta is doing so in MN 111.
Yes, but since by definition you can't contemplate the disappearance of the jhana factors while still being in it it probably refers to having just emerged .
Yes, I’m not what definition you’re referencing. Perhaps if you have a chance you can say a bit more about it.
I'm referring to the simple fact that jhana is defined by the presence of vitakka, vicara etc. so if you see that "having been they disappear" you are no longer in jhana "by definition". No mystery there.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Satima00 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:09 pm
SDC wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:27 am
Satima00 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Yes, but since by definition you can't contemplate the disappearance of the jhana factors while still being in it it probably refers to having just emerged .
Yes, I’m not what definition you’re referencing. Perhaps if you have a chance you can say a bit more about it.
I'm referring to the simple fact that jhana is defined by the presence of vitakka, vicara etc. so if you see that "having been they disappear" you are no longer in jhana "by definition". No mystery there.
The fact that vitakka-vicara has ceased has no bearing on the presence of mano (mind), dhammā (thoughts) and dhammasaññā (perception of thoughts). What about the “state of concentration” described in AN 10.7?
On one occasion, friend Ānanda, I was dwelling right here in Sāvatthī in the Blind Men’s Grove. There I attained such a state of concentration that I was not percipient of earth in relation to earth; of water in relation to water; of fire in relation to fire; of air in relation to air; of the base of the infinity of space in relation to the base of the infinity of space; of the base of the infinity of consciousness in relation to the base of the infinity of consciousness; of the base of nothingness in relation to the base of nothingness; of the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception in relation to the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception; of this world in relation to this world; of the other world in relation to the other world, but I was still percipient.”
The real key to understanding this description is MN 121, but not really necessary to make the point.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Thao Lah

Post by Thao Lah »

Satima00 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:08 am Hi :anjali: !
My question is whether and how the tetrads of the Anapanasati Sutta relate to the standard account of the progression in the jhanas.
Thank you.
All Buddhist meditation methods use sati as a yellow brick road, and all the methods can lead to the jhanas. Just as if one does away with wrong view, one would be able to cut directly into right view.

This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress. As he attends appropriately in this way, three fetters are abandoned in him: identity-view, doubt, and grasping at precepts & practices."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... index.html
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:56 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:43 am

See buddhas own jhana enlightenment experience... he use the word after emerging from jhana ... also see 4th jhana has only perception of equanimity
u cant do insight in 4th jhana as will is lost in 2nd jhana and thinking lost when someone 2nd jhana happens...
Namaste 🙏 😉

Please see SDC's excellent answer... beyond cessation of perception & feelings there's no room for a shutdown in Buddha's teachings... unless you're saying perception & feeling are not present in fourth jhana.

Re the OP... awareness of breathing continues throughout the sutta.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

BrokenBones wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:01 pm
Namaste 🙏 😉

Please see SDC's excellent answer... beyond cessation of perception & feelings there's no room for a shutdown in Buddha's teachings... unless you're saying perception & feeling are not present in fourth jhana.

I dont need to go by reports ... or just given in book
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:18 am

Namaste 🙏 😉

That's right... you're more than welcome to either make it up as you go along or listen to teachings of commentaries written about commentaries written about...

Have you read the anapanasati sutta or is that off your reading list?
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

BrokenBones wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:34 am
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:18 am

Namaste 🙏 😉

That's right... you're more than welcome to either make it up as you go along or listen to teachings of commentaries written about commentaries written about...

Have you read the anapanasati sutta or is that off your reading list?
It not in my list for most of time...