Why it is difficult to practice loving-kindness?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration

Why it is difficult to practice loving kindness?

1) I have no problem practicing loving-kindness
55%
2) I can't practice Metta because people take advantage of me
10%
3) I can't practice Metta because they can be a threat to me.
5%
4) I can't practice Metta because others are cruel to me
No votes
5) I can't practice Metta because some people do not deserve it.
15%
6) I can't practice Metta because I believe some people do not need it as they are already rich, famous, and powerful
5%
7) I cant practice Metta for other reasons. (Please explain in the comments)
10%

Total votes: 20

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This question is based on the following video.

The Perils of Openhearedness.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Re: Why it is difficult to practice loving-kindness?

Post by Ontheway »

I voted No.2 for the time being. Just try to be honest to myself. Will need to improve but it takes time.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I voted no 1.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Because it is not noble 8 fold path?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:28 am Because it is not noble 8 fold path?
I think it is the second limb or Samma Sankappa.
S. Johann

Post by S. Johann »

Fear of losing ones house, stand, defending ones home-position, justifying it, maintaining it, byāpāda, makes it difficult to develop an all around goodwill. One gained right view, maha metta, tends to leave his stand, home, easy, got certain free, good householder, is possessed by amacchariya and gratitude.

And it's for the ending of taking on stand, that metta is practiced in this Sasana by the teachers disciples.
You may make use of this account as wished for good, it's a cast off one. Password: 12345678. As the good stuff gets usually censured here, good if being quick to find ways out.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

S. Johann wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:01 am Fear of losing ones house, stand, defending ones home-position, justifying it, maintaining it, byāpāda, makes it difficult to develop an all around goodwill. One gained right view, maha metta, tends to leave his stand, home, easy, got certain free, good householder, is possessed by amacchariya and gratitude.

And it's for the ending of taking on stand, that metta is practiced in this Sasana by the teachers disciples.
Anger or ill will (byapada, vyapada): Feelings of malice directed toward others is the opposit of loving-kindness.
Byapada is one of the five hindrances.

https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/five-hindrances
Alino

Post by Alino »

I would add the possibility to answer something like.

- my mind is not enought trained
- my mind is not enought patient
- my mind is not enought energetic
- my mind is not enought clear and bright in order to see clearly
- my mind is not enought calm

Because there is only - "problem is others" - but in deed problem us always in us, never in others.

Imho
confusedlayman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:28 am Because it is not noble 8 fold path?
Brahmaviharas are tools of Right Effort 🙏
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I have difficulty practising loving kindness because it is a relatively rare and under-used state of mind for me. Other types of mental state are dominant, making it hard to access and sustain.
S. Johann

Post by S. Johann »

SarathW wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:19 am
S. Johann wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:01 am Fear of losing ones house, stand, defending ones home-position, justifying it, maintaining it, byāpāda, makes it difficult to develop an all around goodwill. One gained right view, maha metta, tends to leave his stand, home, easy, got certain free, good householder, is possessed by amacchariya and gratitude.

Anger or ill will (byapada, vyapada): Feelings of malice directed toward others is the opposit of loving-kindness.
Byapada is one of the five hindrances.

https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/five-hindrances
Stand/house-defender, yes, one of the five evil friends holding back.

No real metta when still thinking that objects of senses are worthy to desire, as this is the cause of conflict: ones home/stand, good householder.
You may make use of this account as wished for good, it's a cast off one. Password: 12345678. As the good stuff gets usually censured here, good if being quick to find ways out.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

I chose #1 I love doing it, it makes me feel like I'm in heaven!
It's sad that this practice is often viewed as inferior to more popular methods of meditation while in truth it is incredibly powerful. For me, while I noticed small improvements in my happiness, from normal dhamma practice with vipassana and Anapana, when I made metta my main meditation object and resolved to do it as least 3 times a day, It didn't take very long to go from feeling just ok, to feeling really happy most of the time! I highly recommend it! :twothumbsup:
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

My underlying tendencies to anger, cruelty, and ill-will make it difficult to practice metta. Often they arise when I encounter people who need it the most. This sort of thing gets in the way, but it is also why I need it more than other meditations. That's just the way of it.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Metta block is all about self-preservation aka fear of death.

One can't have universal metta as long as one looks on with a mind state of human being.
One has to purposely disengage self being a human being, an entity of limited ability, an entity with dependency on others to live, an entity with obligation to involve with this world.

It is not thinking about a pet or a friend to maneuver the affection, it is to look on from Brahmin's or Godhead's view. Expanded consciousness is the goal. We don't have to puff up the love feeling, the goal is to expand the consciousness. Consciousness expansion is love as ill-will is always a contraction of consciousness.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Jack19990101 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:18 am Metta block is all about self-preservation aka fear of death.

One can't have universal metta as long as one looks on with a mind state of human being.
One has to purposely disengage self being a human being, an entity of limited ability, an entity with dependency on others to live, an entity with obligation to involve with this world.

It is not thinking about a pet or a friend to maneuver the affection, it is to look on from Brahmin's or Godhead's view. Expanded consciousness is the goal. We don't have to puff up the love feeling, the goal is to expand the consciousness. Consciousness expansion is love as ill-will is always a contraction of consciousness.
:goodpost:
Once you learn and practice the Four Noble Truths you naturally develop loving-kindness.
That is why even loving kindness has a near enemy and a far enemy.
S. Johann

Post by S. Johann »

SarathW wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:07 am
Once you learn and practice the Four Noble Truths you naturally develop loving-kindness.
That is why even loving kindness has a near enemy and a far enemy.
Sadhu

And yes, near enemies are the defilements related to holding on house/stand, and far those defilements related to desire another, higher, home/stand.

As one told here, metta is samma saṅkappa, a necessary path element, and increased by right effort.