Ajahn Lee's method

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Kjigme

Ajahn Lee's method

Post by Kjigme »

There is one method (Method # 1) by Ajahn Lee that I find quite interesting but I need further guidance. To a certain point I can follow the instructions in the book but by the end of it I feel a bit lost. Are there any resources in this forum or outside of it which could help to deepen my understanding and practice of this method?

We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Buddha, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!
We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Dhamma, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!
We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Sangha, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!

Ratana Sutta
Mr. Seek

Re: Ajahn Lee's method

Post by Mr. Seek »

I worked with #1 extensively before an year or so but stopped. Did research beforehand, like you. It's powerful stuff. Didn't like #2, but #1 was my jam, used to do it almost all day long, on and off the cushion, during work, etc. Still have his book on it printed, and another one, and a book of his teacher's discourses, Ajahn Mun. Have read all of their literature as translated by Thanissaro.

There are alternatives out there--safe, simple meditation practices, perhaps quite suitable for solo practicioners.

What specific points in the instructions do you feel lost in? Be specific so that I can know what to comment on, and if I can, want and or should comment on it.

Doubt you'll find any detailed guidance on the web. Most folks prefer #2, and most folks don't go hardcore. When I researched #1 on the web, like you, I found nothing of particular value in terms of actual instruction. To a degree, Ajahn Lee's instructions are probably sufficient, I guess. Are they vague at times? Yes, probably, for good reasons too.
Last edited by Mr. Seek on Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Kjigme wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 pm There is one method (Method # 1) by Ajahn Lee that I find quite interesting but I need further guidance. To a certain point I can follow the instructions in the book but by the end of it I feel a bit lost. Are there any resources in this forum or outside of it which could help to deepen my understanding and practice of this method?

Thanissaro talks about them extensively in his writings and Dhamma talks. There are plenty of guided meditations on his website here:

https://www.dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

bodom wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:53 pm
Kjigme wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 pm There is one method (Method # 1) by Ajahn Lee that I find quite interesting but I need further guidance. To a certain point I can follow the instructions in the book but by the end of it I feel a bit lost. Are there any resources in this forum or outside of it which could help to deepen my understanding and practice of this method?

Thanissaro talks about them extensively in his writings and Dhamma talks. There are plenty of guided meditations on his website here:

https://www.dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html

:anjali:
Thank you :) . I will check them out. :namaste:
We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Buddha, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!
We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Dhamma, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!
We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Sangha, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!

Ratana Sutta
Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

Mr. Seek wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:34 pm I worked with #1 extensively before an year or so but stopped. Did research beforehand, like you. It's powerful stuff. Didn't like #2, but #1 was my jam, used to do it almost all day long, on and off the cushion, during work, etc. Still have his book on it printed, and another one, and a book of his teacher's discourses, Ajahn Mun. Have read all of their literature as translated by Thanissaro.

There are alternatives out there--safe, simple meditation practices, perhaps quite suitable for solo practicioners.

What specific points in the instructions do you feel lost in? Be specific so that I can know what to comment on, and if I can, want and or should comment on it.

Doubt you'll find any detailed guidance on the web. Most folks prefer #2, and most folks don't go hardcore. When I researched #1 on the web, like you, I found nothing of particular value in terms of actual instruction. To a degree, Ajahn Lee's instructions are probably sufficient, I guess. Are they vague at times? Yes, probably, for good reasons too.
"...Let the refined breath in the brain spread to the lower parts of the body.

When you reach this point you may find that the breath starts giving rise to various signs (nimitta), such as seeing or feeling hot, cold, or tingling sensations in the head. You may see a pale, murky vapor or your own skull. Even so, don't let yourself be affected by whatever appears. If you don't want the nimitta to appear, breathe deep and long, down into the heart, and it will immediately go away.

When you see that a nimitta has appeared, mindfully focus your awareness on it — but be sure to focus on only one at a time, choosing whichever one is most comfortable. Once you've got hold of it, expand it so that it's as large as your head. The bright white nimitta is useful to the body and mind: It's a pure breath that can cleanse the blood in the body, reducing or eliminating..."

1- After moving your attention from the 4th to the 3rd base repeatedly then he tells us to "Let the refined breath in the brain spread to the lower parts of the body." My doubt is do I visualize the refined breath spreading to the lower parts of the body? I can sense the refine breath in the brain but the spreading is not so clear.

2- "Once you've got hold of it, expand it so that it's as large as your head. " The nimitta might be noticed but sometimes not, so do I continue with the exercise or do I start from the beginning if I don't notice any nimitta? and if I continue without noticing any nimitta do I visualize it in order to proceed?

I would like to find a teacher, but I'm assuming that only Ajahns that practice this method can help me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ratana Sutta
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

That's quite far in. IMO, I don't think you need to visualize. The sensations, nimittas, and so forth would appear on their own if there are satisfactory conditions--if the meditation is deep and or stable enough, etc. But that's just what I think.
Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

Yeah. I definitely need some guidance.Anyway thanks for your input.

Ratana Sutta
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

If you've reached that far in into the method, and if you're stable in it, I doubt you need guidance, or can even find it. Lee's similes in the text are quite helpful in this regard.

Good luck and cheers.
arkaprava

Post by arkaprava »

Hello Kjigme, If you are in USA, you can do any of the following things to contact Wat Metta :

Mailing address for letters and packages sent by the US Post Office
Metta Forest Monastery
P.O. Box 1409
Valley Center, CA 92082-1409

Street address for any packages sent by UPS or FedEx
Metta Forest Monastery
13560 Muutama Lane
Valley Center, CA 92082

Telephone
P: (619) 813-8461
H: Every day: 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Otherwise, you can perhaps use [email protected] to ask a question.
Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

arkaprava wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:30 am Hello Kjigme, If you are in USA, you can do any of the following things to contact Wat Metta :

Mailing address for letters and packages sent by the US Post Office
Metta Forest Monastery
P.O. Box 1409
Valley Center, CA 92082-1409

Street address for any packages sent by UPS or FedEx
Metta Forest Monastery
13560 Muutama Lane
Valley Center, CA 92082

Telephone
P: (619) 813-8461
H: Every day: 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Otherwise, you can perhaps use [email protected] to ask a question.
Thank you :namaste:

Ratana Sutta
Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

Mr. Seek wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:59 am If you've reached that far in into the method, and if you're stable in it, I doubt you need guidance, or can even find it. Lee's similes in the text are quite helpful in this regard.

Good luck and cheers.
Thanks!
:namaste:

Ratana Sutta
Tennok

Post by Tennok »

Venerbale Thanissaro has many guided meditations. And his book "With each and every breath" is very detailed. His teacher was a disciple of Ajahn Lee. Perhaps it could help you with some new ideas.