Difference between Mahasi Sayadaw and Ledi Sayadaw techniques

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Chula

Difference between Mahasi Sayadaw and Ledi Sayadaw techniques

Post by Chula »

I am aware of the meditation techniques taught by Mahasi Sayadaw and Ledi Sayadaw through second-hand means of friends and family, so I haven't really researched their differences in detail.

I know that the "Vipassana" method popularized by Goenka was taught to him by a student (of a student) of Ledi Sayadaw. How is this different from the "Mahasi method"? Or are they essentially the same?
mikenz66

Re: Difference between Mahasi Sayadaw and Ledi Sayadaw techniques

Post by mikenz66 »

Quite a bit different in detail.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=22429

I gave a link here: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=25644 to a number of talks that discuss the teachings of various Thai and Burmese teachers. The talks include some short guided meditations, which might be helpful to those wanting to try out the variety of approaches that have flourished in the past century or so. Goenka is discussed in the U Ba Khin talk. U Ba Khin was his teacher.

:anjali:
Mike
Prameya

Post by Prameya »

Well there is a difference in the initial stages...after the stage of Bhanga nāna this technique or that doesn't make any difference. I am borrowing some of this words from Goenkaji himself...he didn't mention Venerable Mahasi Sayadow's name in that...but i remember him saying this...I am from India and he said something similar to what i previously stated during a talk to Psychiatrist in a q n a that follows.Just choose a path that suits u and follow it diligently.Read about Angarika Munindra...he trained in both the traditions.
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Chula wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:03 pm I am aware of the meditation techniques taught by Mahasi Sayadaw and Ledi Sayadaw through second-hand means of friends and family, so I haven't really researched their differences in detail.

I know that the "Vipassana" method popularized by Goenka was taught to him by a student (of a student) of Ledi Sayadaw. How is this different from the "Mahasi method"? Or are they essentially the same?
You can read works by Ledi Sayādaw here: http://aimwell.org/ledi.html and the Mahasi Sayādaw here:
http://aimwell.org/mahasi.html
kantilal

Post by kantilal »

Both are different paths towards the same goals.
There are various meditation techniques described in Satipattana Sutta. The buddha prescribed techniques based on techniques suited for different people.All traditions are derived from Satipattana sutta

The Ledi Sayadaw tradition uses anapana and then focusses on the sensations and the body scan method to observe the sensations and be equanimous towards pleasant unpleasant sensations.More stress is on formal sittings.

The Mahasi Sayadaw technique uses observing of movement of abdomen and involves meditation on postures of body,walking meditation, observing and continous mental noting of what is being observed.
One advantage of this meditation is that it can be done through out the day while carrying routine activities along with formal sittings. Many books are available

As mentioned in one of the posts Ven. Anagarika Munindra one of the most important Vipassana teachers in the last century who taught it to present generation of big names in Vipassana in US, was initially trained in Mahasi technique. He also did undergo training in Ledi Sayadaw tradition and multiple techniques in Vipaasana in Burma
His recorded talks are available on Dharmaseed.com
A good book giving details of both techniques and other techniques will be helpful; Living dharma , teachings and meditation instructions from 12 Theravada masters by Jack Cornfied
skandha

Post by skandha »

kantilal wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:25 pm
The Ledi Sayadaw tradition uses anapana and then focusses on the sensations and the body scan method to observe the sensations and be equanimous towards pleasant unpleasant sensations.More stress is on formal sittings.
The above is especially applicable to the tradition from the disciple of Ledi Sayadaw, that is Saya U Thet. Ledi Sayadaw approved of this specific technique and sequence made popular by Saya U Thet, who is reputed to be layman non-returner.

In the writings of Ledi Sayadaw, he does not seem to put special focus on the sensations. There is also a discovery of personal notes of Ledi Sayadaw after he died, where he noted down that he had full mastery of all 4 jhanas and the 4 immaterial attainments. So it seems that Ledi Sayadaw is not a follower of the dry insight approach like Mahasi Sayadaw.
A true master of knowledge has passed beyond all that is known and become dispassionate towards all vedanās.
- Sn 529