Internal, External and Internal-External

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
JohnSo

Internal, External and Internal-External

Post by JohnSo »

:anjali:
Hi. In the Maha Satipatthana or Satipatthana Sutta, we constantly saw thr word internal, external and internal-externally. Until today, I am not sure what are they? Do they mean literally or is there a hidden meaning to those words?
With metta, John
SarathW

Re: Internal, External and Internal-External

Post by SarathW »

"And what is the earth property? The earth property can be either internal or external. What is the internal earth property?}[3] Anything internal, within oneself, that's hard, solid, & sustained [by craving]: head hairs, body hairs, nails, teeth, skin, flesh, tendons, bones, bone marrow, kidneys, heart, liver, membranes, spleen, lungs, large intestines, small intestines, contents of the stomach, feces, or anything else internal, within oneself, that's hard, solid, and sustained: This is called the internal earth property. Now both the internal earth property & the external earth property are simply earth property. And that should be seen as it actually is present with right discernment: 'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.' When one sees it thus as it actually is present with right discernment, one becomes disenchanted with the earth property and makes the earth property fade from the mind.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In Buddhism, there are six internal sense bases (Pali: ajjhattikāni āyatanāni; also known as, "organs", "gates", "doors", "powers" or "roots"[2]) and six external sense bases (bāhirāni āyatanāni or "sense objects"; also known as vishaya or "domains"[3]).

There are six internal-external (organ-object) saḷāyatana (Pāli; Skt. ṣaḍāyatana), pairs of sense bases:[note 1][note 2]

eye and visible objects[5]
ear and sound
nose and odor
tongue and taste
body and touch
mind[6] and mental objects[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%80yat ... %20objects.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

JohnSo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:29 am :anjali:
Hi. In the Maha Satipatthana or Satipatthana Sutta, we constantly saw thr word internal, external and internal-externally. Until today, I am not sure what are they? Do they mean literally or is there a hidden meaning to those words?
With metta, John
According to the notes accompanying Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Satipatthana Sutta, "external" here means other people.
Note that the distinction is made for all four frames of reference.
Last edited by Spiny Norman on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:37 am
In Buddhism, there are six internal sense bases (Pali: ajjhattikāni āyatanāni; also known as, "organs", "gates", "doors", "powers" or "roots"[2]) and six external sense bases (bāhirāni āyatanāni or "sense objects"; also known as vishaya or "domains"[3]).

There are six internal-external (organ-object) saḷāyatana (Pāli; Skt. ṣaḍāyatana), pairs of sense bases:[note 1][note 2]

ear and sound
nose and odor
tongue and taste
body and touch
Note that contemplation of the salayatana is one of the "exercises" in the fourth frame of the Satipatthana Sutta.
Last edited by Spiny Norman on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

According to the notes accompanying Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Satipatthana Sutta, "external" here means other people.
Note that the distinction is made for all four frames of reference.
[/quote]

But, the Sutta showsthat The Buddha never ask us to know anyone else body our own body in every breath ???
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

JohnSo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:01 am But, the Sutta showsthat The Buddha never ask us to know anyone else body our own body in every breath ???
You might find it helpful to have a look at some of the previous DW discussions on this topic, eg here:
https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=1122

And a related discussion at Stack Exchange:
https://buddhism.stackexchange.com/ques ... 9365#29365
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:42 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:37 am

ear and sound
nose and odor
tongue and taste
body and touch
Note that contemplation of the salayatana is one of the "exercises" in the fourth frame of the Satipatthana Sutta.
The way I understand this covers under Cittanupassana.