Correct practice of mindfulness of body movements for the sake of arising wisdom.

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
nutmegtree

Correct practice of mindfulness of body movements for the sake of arising wisdom.

Post by nutmegtree »

I would like to share this essay, which is based on some important pieces of guidance from a wise kalyanamitta, Ajahn Dhammarakkhito. His advice was and is of very great value in my practice. I hope it may be likewise for others.

The article is here: https://believeinwhatyousee.com/2021/01 ... the-body/
A small extract
We can ask ourselves this simple question: can the body act by itself?
Is it possible for the body to form movements without a mind?
The body is made of organic matter; bones, flesh and blood, it knows nothing and can do nothing by itself.
What makes it to move ? Exactly this is the place to try to be aware, right at the moment that the action is formed, which happens in the mind.
Movement in itself is not significant. A tree moves in the wind, a dead fish can be carried along by the current of the river.

But what makes a fish go against the stream?

We need to find this element, become aware at this point.
SarathW

Re: Correct practice of mindfulness of body movements for the sake of arising wisdom.

Post by SarathW »

You must be able to see the Four Satipathana in every movement of your body.
That is what arises wisdom.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Re: Correct practice of mindfulness of body movements for the sake of arising wisdom.

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm You must be able to see the Four Satipathana in every movement of your body.
I cannot understand what is written above. Please explain further. Thank you
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:18 pm
SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm You must be able to see the Four Satipathana in every movement of your body.
I cannot understand what is written above. Please explain further. Thank you
Every movement of your body has Kaya, Vedana, Citta, and Dhamma.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

nutmegtree wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:40 am I would like to share this essay, which is based on some important pieces of guidance from a wise kalyanamitta, Ajahn Dhammarakkhito. His advice was and is of very great value in my practice. I hope it may be likewise for others.

A small extract
Yes. The heart beats on its own, breathing occurs without any conscious effort. So when "body" is mentioned, which part is being referred to?
Heart, lungs, brain, rib cage, diaphragm, etc. What is the body? Why do you assume 'a body'? Merely a heap of sheer constructions.

Why now do you assume 'a being'?
Mara, have you grasped a view?
This is a heap of sheer constructions:
Here no being is found.

It's only suffering that comes to be,
Suffering that stands and falls away.
Nothing but suffering comes to be,
Nothing but suffering ceases.

Yes. When parts of the brain is stimulated, the body is capable of complex movements. Also the deep tendon reflexes for the most part occur without conscious participation.

The body is made of organic matter; bones, flesh and blood, it knows nothing and can do nothing by itself.
Your immune system has its own intelligence and can mount its defence against viruses for the most part. But sometimes it is stupid to attack its own self.

What makes it to move ? Exactly this is the place to try to be aware, right at the moment that the action is formed, which happens in the mind.
Most movements are actually non -intentional but occasionally one can spot the "intentions" before the movement.

Movement in itself is not significant. A tree moves in the wind, a dead fish can be carried along by the current of the river.

:anjali:
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:26 pm Every movement of your body has Kaya, Vedana, Citta, and Dhamma.
Sounds very theoretical, like saying every movement of your body has God.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
kantilal

Post by kantilal »

nutmegtree wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:40 am I would like to share this essay, which is based on some important pieces of guidance from a wise kalyanamitta, Ajahn Dhammarakkhito. His advice was and is of very great value in my practice. I hope it may be likewise for others.

A small extract

Very grateful for your post, the related article and directing to a very good website, where similar articles are there
Was really insightful🙏🏻