Terror on dissolution of formationw

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
confusedlayman

Terror on dissolution of formationw

Post by confusedlayman »

I am not able to arouse terror or aversion or eq to impermanance or dissolution of formation...

Can someone tell me how to develop it?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
DooDoot

Re: Terror on dissolution of formationw

Post by DooDoot »

Terror is not something you "arouse". "Terror" occurs naturally, such as the terror of if a King Cobra is looking at you.

What is actually occurring is "you" are unable to dissolve the formation of "I" and you are also unable to clearly see the dissolution of the five aggregates.

Therefore, there is no reason or cause for terror to occur.

Practising guru worship meditation towards SteRo will not cause terror.

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:51 pm Terror is not something you "arouse". "Terror" occurs naturally, such as the terror of if a King Cobra is looking at you.

What is actually occurring is "you" are unable to dissolve the formation of "I" and you are also unable to clearly see the dissolution of the five aggregates.

Therefore, there is no reason or cause for terror to occur.

Practising guru worship meditation towards SteRo will not cause terror.

so terror as feeling comes?

if so we are scared of dissolution or feeling of fear?
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Lots of vipassana descriptions do seem to include a stage where your concentration is very strong and your focus is on appearances dissolving away. The entire world and your body and mind seem to be constantly falling apart at the same time. Nothing feels reliable but the Triple Gem. Refuge takes on a new meaning. It can last for an instant or you can get stuck in it for a long time. Everyone is different. The first requirement is strong concentration.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:34 am we
it is best to master the basics instead of asking questions that have no relevance to what is possible

to repeat: the "I" does not arouse terror. what happens is terror arises when the "I" dissolves
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Inedible wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:28 am Lots of vipassana descriptions do seem to include a stage where your concentration is very strong and your focus is on appearances dissolving away. The entire world and your body and mind seem to be constantly falling apart at the same time. Nothing feels reliable but the Triple Gem. Refuge takes on a new meaning. It can last for an instant or you can get stuck in it for a long time. Everyone is different. The first requirement is strong concentration.
thanks
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Confusion of the effects of insight with cultivation.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 am Confusion of the effects of insight with cultivation.
what? explain?
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:34 pm I am not able to arouse terror or aversion or eq to impermanance or dissolution of formation...

Perhaps you could point us to a sutta where terror is to be developed or 'aroused'. Terror doesn't seem to be a very worthwhile emotion.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

BrokenBones wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:38 am
confusedlayman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:34 pm I am not able to arouse terror or aversion or eq to impermanance or dissolution of formation...

Perhaps you could point us to a sutta where terror is to be developed or 'aroused'. Terror doesn't seem to be a very worthwhile emotion.
visudhimagga in wisdom category
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Just guessing what was meant, but I like to use math classes as a comparison. By the time I was in trigonometry, I'd be watching the teacher fill the chalk board several times just on a single problem. Many of the transformations from one line to the next just seemed magical to me. It could take a long time for the final answer to arrive and it made total sense while the teacher was saying it. But then I'd go home and try to solve the same kind of problem. It didn't just flow for me and it wasn't enough just to know what the answer should be. I still had to do the math for myself or it didn't count.

Maybe I should have just said it is the difference between riding in a car and being the driver. When you are just riding along you can go somewhere hundreds of times and still not be able to find it on your own if you have to drive. It is even harder if you are only just learning to drive and you only have directions to get to a place you have never been. Worse, you aren't talking about the directions. You are talking about how you will feel when you get somewhere and see it for the first time.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

It's amazing how quickly one can totally lose interest in certain threads.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Certain knowledge is the effect of insight. Cultivation only entails doubtful fabrication.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:38 pm Certain knowledge is the effect of insight. Cultivation only entails doubtful fabrication.
so fear will automatically come?
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Does insight automatically come?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.