Seed of dhamma corrupted?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
auto

Re: Seed of dhamma corrupted?

Post by auto »

thepea wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:34 pm
auto wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:54 pm
thepea wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:25 am I’m not following your logic.
A giver in past life doesn’t enter a dhamma centre???
You will have to expand on this please.
language barrier or you just don't want to admit you have not been much generous in the past.
i copy paste
https://suttacentral.net/an5.31/en/sujato wrote: They’d usually use only what they’ve been invited to accept—robes, alms-food, lodgings, and medicines and supplies for the sick—rarely using them without invitation.
I assure you I’m not following what your point is.
Wouldn’t those who were not generous, not enter a dhamma centre?
You seem to be saying the opppsite, and I’m not following.
Are saying that because of my selfishness I entered a dhamma centre, as I need it, vs the unselfish arahant who does not need the dhamma centre?
yes, the kamma of those who were givers in the past won't use without accepting invitation.

I think same principle here in this poem,
https://suttacentral.net/sn9.14/en/sujato wrote: “This water flower has not been given.“Yametaṃ vārijaṃ pupphaṃ,
When you sniff it,adinnaṃ upasiṅghasi;
this is one factor of theft.Ekaṅgametaṃ theyyānaṃ,
Good sir, you are a thief of scent!”gandhatthenosi mārisā”ti.
Dhamma center may have initiative slogans like come do a 10 day retreat, but it is not meant for you specifically.
wrote:To the man who has not a blemishAnaṅgaṇassa posassa,
who is always seeking purity,niccaṃ sucigavesino;
even a hair-tip of evilVālaggamattaṃ pāpassa,
seems as big as a cloud.”abbhāmattaṃva khāyatī”ti.
Its simply the quality of invitation, if there is no special effort that you are invited to accept then there is evil in it.
thepea

Post by thepea »

auto wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:57 pm yes, the kamma of those who were givers in the past won't use without accepting invitation.

Dhamma center may have initiative slogans like come do a 10 day retreat, but it is not meant for you specifically.

Its simply the quality of invitation, if there is no special effort that you are invited to accept then there is evil in it.
I have been told on over 100 separate occasions, that I am welcome to the centre anytime. The only concern was accommodation, and if there was an empty bed. I’m rugged, I sleep in the cabins outdoors when temperature allows.
Now this is revoked?
They have lied to me, and caused harm to me. A reckoning is coming.
Also when I have sat courses there is an over abundance of coughing, sneezing, gurgling, farting, throat clearing. These were all explained to me as sankharas coming to the surface of fellow meditators.
A fit of coughing could manifest and this is normal and may manifest for some time and then pass.
Now they are saying if this persists to pack up and go. This threat alone is an absolute corruption.

Why is it, that I see this with such clarity but the teachers and staff make excuses and accommodations to engrained past practices. So you practice correctly and sankharas come to the surface and boom pack your bags and leave.

Unacceptable!!
Disgraceful!!

Are you saying that the man who came to the dhamma centre with two pockets full of quality soil to donate had a special invitation?
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

thepea wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:24 pm They have lied to me, and caused harm to me.
Your time there doesn't seem to have done any good for you anyway. Maybe you should get your own resources together and go away by yourself for some time. And leave the internet turned off unless you have a medical emergency.

In a year or two it is possible the current global crisis will be over and things will have gone back to the way they were. Then you can return to your favorite places without being rejected for not wearing a face covering. It doesn't even have to be an actual mask. Lots of people here wear cloth wraps that look more comfortable. It just has to cover your nose and mouth to stop moisture from going into the air directly and spreading through the room.

A sneeze can spread virus particles up to 20 feet. Just regular breathing can send them 3 to 4 feet so that is why they are trying to keep people at least 6 feet apart.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Inedible wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:42 pm
thepea wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:24 pm They have lied to me, and caused harm to me.
Your time there doesn't seem to have done any good for you anyway. Maybe you should get your own resources together and go away by yourself for some time. And leave the internet turned off unless you have a medical emergency.

In a year or two it is possible the current global crisis will be over and things will have gone back to the way they were. Then you can return to your favorite places without being rejected for not wearing a face covering. It doesn't even have to be an actual mask. Lots of people here wear cloth wraps that look more comfortable. It just has to cover your nose and mouth to stop moisture from going into the air directly and spreading through the room.

A sneeze can spread virus particles up to 20 feet. Just regular breathing can send them 3 to 4 feet so that is why they are trying to keep people at least 6 feet apart.
Regardless of whether or not this is true or not, personally I’ve done my research as Buddha asks us to do. I know the truth and I understand property, moral responsibility and liability. I see clearly what is going on.

Now I love Mr.G and know beyond doubt that his teaching is genuine in both practice and delivery. I have worked closely with AT’s on course and listened to dealing with many of the obstacles students face on course.
It is the toughest thing for anyone to do, looking at ones past traumas. The course is laid out in a fashion that is tough but fair and it’s always been supportive towards its students in so many subtle ways. Until now!!

You cannot go against every subtle aspect of the program. It tilts from balance to aceticism and that is NOT the middle way!

This could be catastrophic to a student working diligently and then being asked to leave mid way through. Unacceptable, not on my watch. As dhamma servers we give unconditionally to support the students.

Now why is it that I see this with absolute clarity and logic but the staff at centres are ok to twist and sacrifice the pristine purity of the teaching during this time?
We are never to distort the purity of dhamma or its delivery to students. Now old students who have brushed over the rough stuff could operate under these conditions possibly, but what if a deep trauma of rape or submission rears it’s head and the slave rag on your face begins to take on a new meaning and suddenly the urge to remove it comes over you like a storm.
What then???
You are forced to leave?
How do you FORCE this upon students as a karmic storm is in full swing?
It seems buddha was wiser than most and comprehended the evils of Mara and how Mara infiltrated through government via operating licenses and structural safety.

Mara is always trying to end dhamma.
The seed has been corrupted from within.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

I'm just going to be direct. You are overreacting. Put on a mask when you go out like everyone else. When you are offered the vaccine just take it. If you were making any progress on your path it would be helping you to realize that you aren't more important than other people.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Inedible wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:56 pm I'm just going to be direct. You are overreacting. Put on a mask when you go out like everyone else. When you are offered the vaccine just take it. If you were making any progress on your path it would be helping you to realize that you aren't more important than other people.
Is this buddhas teachings, to let others dictate what you do or don’t, what you wear what you dont, what you put in your body what you don’t?
And if you choose, then you are failing on the path?
I don’t think so.
Buddha most likely chose what to eat from his bowl and what to set aside.
And if so why did Buddha even bother to find the end to consent(suffering).
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Well, there was this one time a leprous finger fell in a Bikkhu's bowl and he ate it. This was a part of why a vegetarian diet was not required. They had to eat what they were given.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Inedible wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:43 am Well, there was this one time a leprous finger fell in a Bikkhu's bowl and he ate it. This was a part of why a vegetarian diet was not required. They had to eat what they were given.
No they do not.
That’s ridiculous and has nothing to do with dhamma.
I’ll give you the finger for mentioning that.

A bhikku can eat what the choose to from what is offered.
Choice.
Freedom.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
thepea wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:24 pm Also when I have sat courses there is an over abundance of coughing, sneezing, gurgling, farting, throat clearing. These were all explained to me as sankharas coming to the surface of fellow meditators.
:lol:

That sort of slavish, brain-dead adherence to a superstitious perversion is reason enough to run.

Fast. 🏃‍♂️

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
thepea

Post by thepea »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:29 am Greetings,
thepea wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:24 pm Also when I have sat courses there is an over abundance of coughing, sneezing, gurgling, farting, throat clearing. These were all explained to me as sankharas coming to the surface of fellow meditators.
:lol:

That sort of slavish, brain-dead adherence to a superstitious perversion is reason enough to run.

Fast. 🏃‍♂️

Metta,
Oh C-mon, this is truth,
Sometimes it’s just a bodily function.
But haven’t you ever felt a tickle in your throat in a group dynamic and then a wave of embarrassment comes over you and then you cough, and then you try so hard to stop and not bother everyone that it gets worse and worse.
That’s a sankhara 100%, if you were alone you would cough clear your throat and done, but in the group dynamic it multiplies.

Now I know this method works so I’m not bashing the method, as taught by Mr.G.

My issue is with the leadership decisions made by the organization globally and their adoption of discriminatory tactics to obey Mara and keep their doors open.
That stinks, and it’s going on in most if not all, monasteries globally.
Now I had a teacher who I really connected with in past and early on into this planned event he left the centre.
I had his email on my old phone but it was lost in when I switched to new one, the centre will not give me his number.

I would like to talk to him regarding what is going on.

This rhetoric business about not killing your grandma is the biggest load of divisive marashit this planet has ever come across.

And the corporate maras garment is being used to enslave and destroy the working class.

You ever see the walking dead? We are living it currently.
Don’t get bit.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
thepea wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:24 am Oh C-mon, this is truth
Not according to how sankharas are explained in the Buddha's Dhamma.

I'm sorry if you've been lied to. "Seed of Dhamma corrupted" indeed.

All the best.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
thepea

Post by thepea »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:36 am Greetings,
thepea wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:24 am Oh C-mon, this is truth
Not according to how sankharas are explained in the Buddha's Dhamma.

I'm sorry if you've been lied to. "Seed of Dhamma corrupted" indeed.

All the best.

Metta,
We can disagree.
Mental formations.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings thepea,

Sure, and when you find this elusive non-existent sutta about "sankharas coming to the surface", be sure to share it for the benefit of all. Or Abhidhamma or commentary for that matter.

:toast:

Metta,
thepea

Post by thepea »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 am Greetings thepea,

Sure, and when you find this elusive non-existent sutta about "sankharas coming to the surface", be sure to share it for the benefit of all. Or Abhidhamma or commentary for that matter.

:toast:

Metta,
This isn’t really where I wanted to go with this topic.
But I’m open to discussion.
Perhaps you know how to bundle our previous posts and start a topic on sankharas in general theravada discussion?
I don’t know how to do this.
Sound ok?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings thepea,

If anything, it's more likely we'd merge some of your topics to prevent proliferation of overlapping topics throughout the forum.

But sankharas aside, it's clear that while Theravada Buddhism has the triple gem of the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha... the Goenka equivalent is Goenka / U Ba Khin, Goenka's videos, and a pretty inconsistent pack of Assistant Teachers. I don't think it's a particularly solid foundation for the tradition, and in the absence of a successor to Goenka himself, I expect the tradition to deteriorate, rather than flourish. You may be witnessing the start of that with the things you describe.

If the Buddha predicted decline for his own dispensation, then what hope does Goenka have? How could it be otherwise?

Metta,