Acupuncture and Vipassana

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
criss284

Acupuncture and Vipassana

Post by criss284 »

Hi, I want to ask if Acupuncture is compatible with Vipassana? I ask because I don't know how acupuncture works and whether or not it involves energy channeling etc. Thanks for your assistance, Chris
dharmacorps

Re: Acupuncture and Vipassana

Post by dharmacorps »

You don't need to know how a health treatment specifically works in order for it to be effective and appropriate. Even scientists don't understand why some medications work, yet they do. I think acupuncture is the same, it seems to help but there isn't a lot of clarity as to why or how exactly. Unless acupuncture disturbs your meditation or something I think you're fine.

Of course, it depends on what you are trying to use acupuncture for. If someone tells you they can cure you of heart disease or cancer by acupuncture, you should run, not walk away. If it is for minor pain or some sort of minor chronic thing dealing more with comfort, its probably OK. Just be sure you understand the limitations.
Last edited by dharmacorps on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

criss284 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm Hi, I want to ask if Acupuncture is compatible with Vipassana? I ask because I don't know how acupuncture works and whether or not it involves energy channeling etc. Thanks for your assistance, Chris
It’s woo. A waste of time and money.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

criss284 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm Hi, I want to ask if Acupuncture is compatible with Vipassana? I ask because I don't know how acupuncture works and whether or not it involves energy channeling etc. Thanks for your assistance, Chris
I've had acupuncture in the past, from a Tibetan doctor who had been working at a hospital in China. It was for an extremely painful knee injury - and the results were excellent. At that time I also continued my daily meditation sessions as usual.

However, I've no idea what you meant about vipassana meditation in particular, sorry.
Ceisiwr wrote:It’s woo. A waste of time and money.
Definately not in my own experience of acupuncture.

:anjali:
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:13 pm
It’s woo. A waste of time and money.
That's been my experience too.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I have taken Acupuncture treatment few times with not much help.
The way I see is acupuncture treatment is for the body like massage or medicine etc.
The Vipassana is for the mind.
So there is no harm to practice Vipassana while you take acupuncture treatment.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
criss284

Post by criss284 »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:52 pm You don't need to know how a health treatment specifically works in order for it to be effective and appropriate. Even scientists don't understand why some medications work, yet they do. I think acupuncture is the same, it seems to help but there isn't a lot of clarity as to why or how exactly. Unless acupuncture disturbs your meditation or something I think you're fine.

Of course, it depends on what you are trying to use acupuncture for. If someone tells you they can cure you of heart disease or cancer by acupuncture, you should run, not walk away. If it is for minor pain or some sort of minor chronic thing dealing more with comfort, its probably OK. Just be sure you understand the limitations.
Thank you for your reply. My question isn't about how acupuncture works but how it affects Vipassana practice. For example Reiki works but it isn't recommended to use it if you are doin vipassana, and I know from past experience some people who had reiki have ended pretty messed up with their meditation. I was wonderin if it was a similar thing with acupuncture.
I should have stated that his question is actually directed at Vipassana teachers only. Thanks again for your input.
criss284

Post by criss284 »

Aloka wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:57 pm
I've had acupuncture in the past, from a Tibetan doctor who had been working at a hospital in China. It was for an extremely painful knee injury - and the results were excellent. At that time I also continued my daily meditation sessions as usual.

However, I've no idea what you meant about vipassana meditation in particular, sorry.
Ceisiwr wrote:It’s woo. A waste of time and money.
Definately not in my own experience of acupuncture.

:Aloka: Thank you for your reply. Every meditation has it's own peculiarity so I some meditations are working with energy channeling and others may not be (like Vipassana) for example.
criss284

Post by criss284 »

SarathW wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 am I have taken Acupuncture treatment few times with not much help.
The way I see is acupuncture treatment is for the body like massage or medicine etc.
Thanks for your feedback SarathW. The way I see it is that Vipassana is for both mind and body because the two are so closely interconnected, that's where my question arises from. Thanks again
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

criss284 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 am I have taken Acupuncture treatment few times with not much help.
Thanks for your feedback SarathW. The way I see it is that Vipassana is for both mind and body because the two are so closely interconnected, that's where my question arises from. Thanks again
I know where your confusion come from.
Vipassana does not talk about arising Kundalini like in Hinduism.
Even if that is the case you can't arise Kundalini by acupuncture.
This is like trying to attain bliss by using drugs.
Obviously you can't practice Vipassana or Jhana while you taking drugs.
But I do not think the same apply to acupuncture.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
criss284

Post by criss284 »

SarathW wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:01 am
criss284 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 am
I know where your confusion come from.
Vipassana does not talk about arising Kundalini like in Hinduism.
Even if that is the case you can't arise Kundalini by acupuncture.
This is like trying to attain bliss by using drugs.
Obviously you can't practice Vipassana or Jhana while you taking drugs.
But I do not think the same apply to acupuncture.
Great answer to help clarify things for me. Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu! :anjali:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

criss284 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pmHi, I want to ask if Acupuncture is compatible with Vipassana?
Hello Criss

My impression is your idea of "vipassana" may be different to mine. What do you mean by "vipassana"? Thanks
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:13 pmI ask because I don't know how acupuncture works and whether or not it involves energy channeling etc.
I have had lots of acupuncture in the past for great benefit with one of the most renowned acupuncturists in my country. Acupuncture will not hinder samadhi based vipassana. Acupuncture works directly & holistically with the breath. Acupuncture certainly involves opening up energy channels; however i imagine a skilled acupuncture has some control over the degree to which this is done.
criss284 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:35 am For example Reiki works but it isn't recommended to use it if you are doin vipassana, and I know from past experience some people who had reiki have ended pretty messed up with their meditation. I was wonderin if it was a similar thing with acupuncture.
Generally, the efficacy of most complementary medicine depends on the skill of the practitioner. After watching the video below, I imagine Reiki would operate on similar principals to acupuncture. This said, if Reiki and Acupuncture "mess up" a person, this is due to the treatment releasing into consciousness the underlying defilements or neuroses of the patient.

For example, many people do not like Acupuncture because when they are needled and must lie alone in a room for 30 or 60 minutes, the needling will open their body & mind up emotionally and they feel tense, unhappy, emotional or cry.

For example, my acupuncture was for some serious physical issues however physical issues also cause the accumulation of frustration and even sadness. Therefore, often during acupuncture, i had a lovely cry of relief as things moved into the right place on the table and the pain released.

In summary, acupuncture can certainly cause underlying buried emotions to arise into consciousness. Therefore, the patient should probably discuss any underlying emotional or mental health issues with the acupuncturist. This said, i have a friend with mental health issues and she visits an acupuncturist for this very purpose, whose treatment helps her sleep much better. To repeat, generally, the efficacy of most complementary medicine depends on the skill of the practitioner. :smile:

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:13 pm
It’s woo.
More like wu wei.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

criss284 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm Hi, I want to ask if Acupuncture is compatible with Vipassana?
You could try consulting Dr Claudia Pillat. She's an Austrian vipassanā teacher who for two decades was in charge of pain management for cancer patients at a hospital in Vienna. Acupuncture was part of her repertoire of treatments and she's also been known to use it on painstricken meditators during retreats.

https://www.vipassana.at/%C3%BCber-mich/
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
criss284

Post by criss284 »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:42 am
criss284 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm Hi, I want to ask if Acupuncture is compatible with Vipassana?
You could try consulting Dr Claudia Pillat. She's an Austrian vipassanā teacher who for two decades was in charge of pain management for cancer patients at a hospital in Vienna. Acupuncture was part of her repertoire of treatments and she's also been known to use it on painstricken meditators during retreats.

https://www.vipassana.at/%C3%BCber-mich/
Thank you for the link Dhammanando. It's very helpful