Question on noting during meditation

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Ryan95227

Question on noting during meditation

Post by Ryan95227 »

Walking Meditation

I've read various instructions on walking meditation and these all seem to differ in their ways of noting. For instance, the famous video on mahasi style noting of walking meditation have you note the "lifting... moving... moving forward... placing... touching" The book "In this Very Life" has you simply note note "lifting...moving...placing." And when I'm walking it seems like I have to note a lot more since I can realize various points of sensation during my walking. I note it as following: "intending to lift... lifting lifiting... moving moving... placing...touching. I'm not sure if my full awareness of various sensations should ALL be followed by noting? For example, when one starts lifting and notices lifting and the lifting sensation following it should one simply note lifting constantly until it transitions into moving?

Rise and Fall of abdomen

This is also same as above. Manual of insight has me noting "rising... falling" followed by "rising... sititng.. falling" One can be pretty flexible with it. The book In this very life has you note "rising... rising... falling...falling" Not sure what method I should employ. I'm currently noting "rising... rising...falling...falling," trying to note the sensations arising throughout the entire process of rising and falling.

What is the important takeaway? Am I doing it correctly? Should the noting follow the awareness of each sensations that you can be aware of? (sensation of lifting => lifting lifting UNTIL it transitions into moving?
bodom

Re: Question on noting during meditation

Post by bodom »

Please keep this advice from Sayadaw U Pandita in mind:
In making the verbal label, there is no need for complex language. One simple word is best. For the eye, ear, and tongue doors we simply say, “Seeing, seeing… Hearing, hearing… Tasting, tasting.” For sensations in the body we may choose a slightly more descriptive term like warmth, pressure, hardness, or motion. Mental objects appear to present a bewildering diversity, but actually they fall into just a few clear categories such as thinking, imagining, remembering, planning, and visualizing. But remember that in using the labeling technique, your goal is not to gain verbal skills. Labeling technique helps us to perceive clearly the actual qualities of our experience, without getting immersed in the content. It develops mental power and focus. In meditation we seek a deep, clear, precise awareness of the mind and body. This direct awareness shows us the truth about our lives, the actual nature of mental and physical processes.
http://www.aimwell.org/inthisverylife.h ... Meditation

While I don't personally use the noting in my meditation practice anymore I found the above helpful when I was experimenting with it in the past.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
robertk

Post by robertk »

Satipatthana is essentially the development of the perception of anatta - other things are something else.

So yes satipatthana is breaking down the idea of a whole, seeing that there are only elements. Which is what I imagine this burmese method is attempting to do: But, as I see it, satipatthana is not a technique, sati is a conditioned element- not under anyone's control.
more here
viewtopic.php?t=15952
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

The noting is just an aid, whatever aids you to concentrate and see experience in minute detail is fine.

Generally simpler noting two or three step is recommended when you are starting and/or concentration is poor, more complex noting five or six step when you've got some momentum going and concentration is good.

Don't get hungup on the technique, whatever helps you to stay with it and see the flow of mental and physical activity is fine.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Hey Ryan 95227,

Thank you for your post. I have read manual of insight almost twice completely. I interpreted the noting taught by Mahasi Sayadaw as a teaching that was peculiar and did not necessarily represent the entirety of Theravada Buddhism nor the Pali Canon, right? Did the Sayadaw just repeat the Canon? I don't think so? Anyway mindfulness is not narration!! Just keep silent without all the verbal dialogue. I have heard Mahasi even taught dry insight. It sounds like he did not even know the way to absorption.

In other perspectives, noting leads to being in the moment. How can you be mindful if you are not aware of noting reality? Just don't make it a dialogue!