path and non path

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
confusedlayman

path and non path

Post by confusedlayman »

if someone is angry, if they do metta they will be rid of anger but it has nothing to do with buddhas teaching or 4 noble truth

anything that is originated is non path irrespective of how blissful experience they give?

creation of thought with I preset vs knowing how it is created and ends ... its only ignorant creating of I thought and how it cease will help us get right VIEW
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Re: path and non path

Post by SarathW »

Pathe is the Noble Eightfold Path.
All other paths are Just the Eightfold Path or the non Path.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:50 am if someone is angry, if they do metta they will be rid of anger but it has nothing to do with buddhas teaching or 4 noble truth
the above sounds wrong. The practise of non-will (metta) is the practise of the 4th noble truth or the 2nd factor of the Path
And what is right thought?
Katamo ca, bhikkhave, sammāsaṅkappo?

It is the thought of renunciation, good will, and harmlessness.
Yo kho, bhikkhave, nekkhammasaṅkappo, abyāpādasaṅkappo, avihiṁsāsaṅkappo—

https://suttacentral.net/sn45.8/en/sujato
:alien:
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:50 amanything that is originated is non path irrespective of how blissful experience they give?
The above sounds wrong in at least two ways. It does not specify what Pali word is being referred to by the English "originated"; and (ii) does not appear to acknowledge The Path is "conditioned". For example, SN 47.42 says the Path is "originated"
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:50 amcreation of thought with I preset vs knowing how it is created and ends ... its only ignorant creating of I thought and how it cease will help us get right VIEW
the Path is giving up craving. when craving is given up, the mind develops samadhi and the "I" thought will dissolve in samadhi. It appears attempting to use the conceptual intellect, similar to Nagarjuna, to give up the "I" concept won't work
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Confused layman I agree completely.

The conditioned path that does not lead to the unconditioned (nibbana) is irrelevant no matter how much bliss because nibbana is the goalless goal. Buddhism is the highest teaching and the only teaching that goes beyond hedonism.

:offtopic:

Eternalism is refuted by knowing everything is characterized by change. Time could be infinite but we could never be permanent because how could a being not consume? And if we consume, we change. Eternity could only be everlasting change. Right?

Metta will get rid of anger eventually. Definitely.

Conceit is where we are before trying to find insight, (vipassana) before understanding and realizing anatta. (Non self)