What is the diffrence between Vipassana and Four Satipathana meditaiton?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
SarathW

What is the diffrence between Vipassana and Four Satipathana meditaiton?

Post by SarathW »

What is the difference between Vipassana (Samathavipassana?) and Four Satipathana meditation?
I thought they both the same.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
befriend

Re: What is the diffrence between Vipassana and Four Satipathana meditaiton?

Post by befriend »

I think they're the same also.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:16 am What is the difference between Vipassana (Samathavipassana?) and Four Satipathana meditation?
What do you mean by vipassana?

It's a word that has grown to mean different things to different people.

I would say that the four satipathana is practiced to realise clear seeing.

The four satipathana is entwined with jhana.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

"These two qualities have a share in clear knowing. Which two? Tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana).

"When tranquillity (Samatha) is developed, what purpose does it serve? The mind is developed. And when the mind is developed, what purpose does it serve? Passion is abandoned.

"When insight (Vipassana) is developed, what purpose does it serve? Discernment is developed. And when discernment is developed, what purpose does it serve? Ignorance is abandoned.

"Defiled by passion, the mind is not released. Defiled by ignorance, discernment does not develop. Thus from the fading of passion is there awareness-release. From the fading of ignorance is there discernment-release."
Perhaps Four Satipathana practices are one kind of practicing Vipassana.
If that is the case what are the other method of practicing Vipassana?
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Vipassana is basically observing anicca, dukkha, and anatta.
Sathipatthana is one type of practice to see the 3 characteristics of existence. A method as it were.
"This is the only[?one/direct] way, O bhikkhus, for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the destruction of suffering and grief, for reaching the right path, for the attainment of Nibbana, namely, the Four Arousings of Mindfulness."
As for the "methods"

1. Listening to the Dhamma
2. Teaching the Dhamma
3. Repeating Dhamma
4. Reflecting on the Dhamma
5. Meditation

Anguttara Nikaya Sutta 5.3.26
Last edited by pegembara on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Kayanupassana is practiced when practicing anapana sati. The result is a still, focused, collected, concentrated mind. That mind practices vipassana (vedananupassana, cittanupassana and dhammanupassana).
SarathW

Re:

Post by SarathW »

sunnat wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:32 am Kayanupassana is practiced when practicing anapana sati. The result is a still, focused, collected, concentrated mind. That mind practices vipassana (vedananupassana, cittanupassana and dhammanupassana).
Isn't Anapana Sati practice the same as Satipathana, but tabulated in a different way?
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Sati patthana is the establishment of attentiveness to the present moment. In the sutta it is the establishment of the four factors of mindfulness, kaya nu passana, vedana nu passana, citta nu passana and dhamma nu passana. Starting with kayanupassana : mendicants established in the virtues, go to solitude, sit crosslegged, still, making no intentional movement, establish continuous equanimous onepointed awareness of the breath as it is in the present moment (anapana sati)... Then with that focused mind: practice vi passana.
Damian V

Post by Damian V »

Satipathanna is just a clear understanding of Vipassana, you cannot go to the depths of the mind instantly just by practicing Vipassana, it takes sometimes even years upon years to experience Satipathanna, years because your Sila has to be perfect, then you’re Samadhi will allow you to experience the depths of the mind, the more times you experience Satipathanna the closer you get to Nibbana. The Satipathanna Sutta is a confirmation of what you experience while practicing Vipassana, Vipassana and the Abhidhamma go together, Anapana is essential for Samma Samadhi (Right Concentration). You can experience Satipathanna via Anapana by you need to have Parmitas that the average person just doesn’t have, find a teacher who can take you to the depths of sensation which is understanding the generation of sensation at its essence, merely focusing on the activities of the body like walking etc is tiresome
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:16 am What is the difference between Vipassana (Samathavipassana?) and Four Satipathana meditation?
Vipassana is "clear seeing", or "insight".

Satipatthana are four areas to focus (body, sensations, mind, dhammas).

An analogue:
Vipassana = seeing through the microscope
Satipatthana
= the four objects that one looks at through the microscope.

As for "samathavipassana", I don't know. Vipassana, by definition, already contains at least a minimum amount of samatha.

IMHO opinion, of course.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Vipassana (insight) is a quality, satipatthana is a method.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
bodom

Post by bodom »

Alex123 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:37 am

An analogue:
Satipatthana

As for "samathavipassana", I don't know. Vipassana, by definition, already contains at least a minimum amount of samatha.

IMHO opinion, of course.
Good to see you posting again Alex.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Spiny Norman

Re: Re:

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 am
sunnat wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:32 am Kayanupassana is practiced when practicing anapana sati. The result is a still, focused, collected, concentrated mind. That mind practices vipassana (vedananupassana, cittanupassana and dhammanupassana).
Isn't Anapana Sati practice the same as Satipathana, but tabulated in a different way?
There are different interpretations. In my view anapanasati is primarily concerned with developing samatha, while satipatthana is primarily concerned with developing vipassana.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

bodom wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:58 pm
Alex123 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:37 am

An analogue:
Satipatthana

IMHO opinion, of course.
Good to see you posting again Alex.

:anjali:
Welcome back Alex.
Yes, your answer makes sense.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Spiny Norman wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:58 pm
Vipassana (insight) is a quality, satipatthana is a method.
:goodpost: