Is it possible that we may be practicing Vipassana without knowing it?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
arch

Is it possible that we may be practicing Vipassana without knowing it?

Post by arch »

Hi

I have been a Vipassana practitioner since 2001 and lately have been going through a challenging life situation. It’s affecting my physical and mental health so much that I am unable to practice. However I see that my spiritual inclinations or views and mental tendencies around equanimity , keeping an unbiased view and wishing well for all sentennial beings don’t change easily.

Since I am unable to practice I do worry that my practice must be becoming weak. But then I also wonder if it’s possible that I might be practicing Vipassana unknowingly at least mildly. If you’ve had a subtle mind for decades and had a good practice is this possible?

May be I am trying to comfort myself but just wanted to know about your opinions as well as any experiences especially around illnesses or traumatic or challenging situations where “conscious practice” becomes significantly hard.

Thanks
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Yes. To the extent that one has trained to not react with lust, illwill or ignorance in relation to feelings, sensations, the process of letting go continues as long as one lives a virtuous life according to the precepts.
one_awakening

Re: Is it possible that we may be practicing Vipassana without knowing it?

Post by one_awakening »

Vipassana is not a practice. It's a quality to be developed.
“You only lose what you cling to”
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

I like this word 'bhāvanā' or development. Conventionally speaking, if your trials are making you stronger, this is bhāvanā.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

In my opinion, you are doing vipassana whenever you are viewing all experiences as anicca, dukkha and anatta or various combinations thereof -whether on or off the cushion.

The formal practice is like playing scales and arpeggios on the piano in preparation for the real piano piece-when the rubber hits the road as it were.
You can actually find "Buddhist" wisdom in many places.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Srilankaputra wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:26 am I like this word 'bhāvanā' or development. Conventionally speaking, if your trials are making you stronger, this is bhāvanā.
Just a little fun fact. In traditional medicine, for some preparations, they take the juice of plants and put it out in the sun, so that the unnecessary stuff evaporates away and the medicinal quality concentrates. This process also they call bhavana.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
dharmalotus48

Post by dharmalotus48 »

arch wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:21 am Hi

I have been a Vipassana practitioner since 2001 and lately have been going through a challenging life situation. It’s affecting my physical and mental health so much that I am unable to practice. However I see that my spiritual inclinations or views and mental tendencies around equanimity , keeping an unbiased view and wishing well for all sentennial beings don’t change easily.

Since I am unable to practice I do worry that my practice must be becoming weak. But then I also wonder if it’s possible that I might be practicing Vipassana unknowingly at least mildly. If you’ve had a subtle mind for decades and had a good practice is this possible?

May be I am trying to comfort myself but just wanted to know about your opinions as well as any experiences especially around illnesses or traumatic or challenging situations where “conscious practice” becomes significantly hard.

Thanks
arch. As long as your intentions are pure, samma sankappa, you are practicing the Dhamma. The purification of the heart is the practice.
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

arch wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:21 am Hi

Thanks
I've passed through a similar situation and i had to stop meditation for a while. Much is the while, it depends on you and your evaluation.
If you are not well developed well, ask for advices.
Of course it is possible, and by experience i can only encourage it.
Applying meditation on daily life is so fruitful, so you start pushing concentration and awareness in your daily life, getting many benefits, development and further understanding of Dhamma.
I can say, i have actually stopped to follow a regular, formal meditation schedule since a long time.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

The point of vipassana is not just to practice, its supposed to change the way the mind works so that it responds to various situations with wisdom. You should get to the stage where there is momentum and this is not dependant on formal practice, if this wasn't the case after 21 years of practice then I'd be concerned that you had been wasting your time.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If you have practiced Vipassana previously, then it is possible it becomes your second nature. I would say it is the first nature of Arahants.
There is a Sutta to say that if you keep your attention on your breath even for one second it is more fruitful.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
siripala jagodage

Post by siripala jagodage »

Dear Dhamma Friends

Practicing Vippassana in daily life can make simple.
In Kayanupassana section of Sathipattana the Eriya patha pabba is an ideal theme.
In this section a practitioner is advise to be aware of all four postures.
Walking,standing,sitting & lying.
In each posture he should be aware of the particular posture with diligence with wisdom.For example if one is standing be aware of standing.He should be aware that his body is erect,feeling the the feet touching the ground.Keeping the hands with sides and knowing being standing.Similarly for other three postures.
This Eriya patha pabba is can be apply at any time and anywhere of one's life.If one is traveling by car just be aware of sitting on the seat.Aware the buttocks touching the cushion.
Lord Buddha advise in this Sutta If this can be develop to higher level one can realize Nibbana.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

You may well be making progress, but if you want to say you are doing Vipassana you have to actually do it. Just like with Dzogchen. There are established standards when you are doing something that someone else created and you have to follow those standards. But you don't have to if you want to do your own thing. Just don't call it the same as someone else's thing.
siripala jagodage

Post by siripala jagodage »

Dear Dhamma Friends
I would like to elaborate more on my comments on Eriya Patha meditation further.First we have to understood what is explained by Lord Buddha in Eriya Patha meditation.I will take only first sentence to explain.MN10 in suttacentral says Eriya Patha Pabbaya as follows

1.2. The Postures 1.2. Kāyānupassanāiriyāpathapabba

Furthermore, when a mendicant is walking they know: ‘I am walking.’ When standing they know: ‘I am standing.’ When sitting they know: ‘I am sitting.’ And when lying down they know: ‘I am lying down.’ Puna caparaṁ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu gacchanto vā ‘gacchāmī’ti pajānāti, ṭhito vā ‘ṭhitomhī’ti pajānāti, nisinno vā ‘nisinnomhī’ti pajānāti, sayāno vā ‘sayānomhī’ti pajānāti. Whatever posture their body is in, they know it. Yathā yathā vā panassa kāyo paṇihito hoti tathā tathā naṁ pajānāti.

And so they meditate observing an aspect of the body internally, externally, and both internally and externally. Iti ajjhattaṁ vā kāye kāyānupassī viharati, bahiddhā vā kāye kāyānupassī viharati, ajjhattabahiddhā vā kāye kāyānupassī viharati; They meditate observing the body as liable to originate, as liable to vanish, and as liable to both originate and vanish. samudayadhammānupassī vā kāyasmiṁ viharati, vayadhammānupassī vā kāyasmiṁ viharati, samudayavayadhammānupassī vā kāyasmiṁ viharati. Or mindfulness is established that the body exists, to the extent necessary for knowledge and mindfulness. They meditate independent, not grasping at anything in the world. ‘Atthi kāyo’ti vā panassa sati paccupaṭṭhitā hoti. Yāvadeva ñāṇamattāya paṭissatimattāya anissito ca viharati, na ca kiñci loke upādiyati.

That too is how a mendicant meditates by observing an aspect of the body. Evampi kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhu kāye kāyānupassī viharati.

Iriyāpathapabbaṁ niṭṭhitaṁ.

I will take only first sentence to explain.
Puna caparaṁ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu gacchanto vā ‘gacchāmī’ti pajānāti.In this sentence Lord Buddha when he is walking he know he walks.We have to understand the meaning of pajanathi exactly meant by Lord.

With
Metta