Vipassana for 45 min

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
befriend

Vipassana for 45 min

Post by befriend »

When I meditate I observe abdominal rising and falling as my homebase for vipassana bhavana and when a strong thought sound or feeling etc.. Comes up I then switch my attention to that until it subsides and come back to my abdominal breathing. I'm not sure if this is correct but I think I heard someone say after 20 minutes of abdominal observation it turns into Samatha? Is this accurate? How do I do vipassana for longer 45 minutes? Thank you :anjali:
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
SarathW

Re: Vipassana for 45 min

Post by SarathW »

when a strong thought sound or feeling etc.. Comes up
Actually I practiced the other way round.
I contemplate the Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta in my strong thoughts and feelings etc.
That Vipassana naturally bring me to Samatha. (back to the breath)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

If the cultivated habit is to go to (reacting to), and stay at, strong thoughts/feeling (sensory impressions, sensations) then equanimity may be missed. It does not matter what type the sensations is. Simply note it has arisen and return to the object of meditation, going systematically through the mindbody phenomenon or to breath anchor.

Cultivate this equanimous practice in any position.
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Hi friend Befriend,

First I would say 45 minutes of meditation is a good amount of time for one sitting. I have heard from the Shasta Abbey that longer sitting can cause injury. Sure Buddha sat one week in meditation and Dipa Ma and a Thai monk in Leigh bransington's book sat for 3 days without moving. As Ajahn chah says chickens can sit on eggs for days but are not enlightened. Second I would say the textbook says stay focused on the breath no matter what even with strong thoughts coming up. My friend befriend, this is vipassana. Look find insight and find concentration. Samatha is samatha. It's all no big deal once you have experienced it. Yes concentration leads to samatha in most cases but insight through absorption or dry insight is good meditation. When you are being good to yourself you will find the ease of doing more than 45 minutes of meditation. Stay mindful Befriend.
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Friend, i hope you're under the direct guidance of a spiritual teacher in close physical proximity to you.