A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
confusedlayman

Re: Bhante Kothmale Kumarakassapa Thero

Post by confusedlayman »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:50 am
Ontheway wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:14 am
:candle: :candle: :candle:
Like I said, I remained neutral on this matter. It is up to the Sri Lankan people to set laws to protect Pali Tipitaka scriptures.

Pali Tipitaka maybe now still in pristine form and complete (thanks to Arahat Moggaliputta Tissa, Arahat Mahinda, and all other monks that wrote them on leaves in Aluvihara). But how long it can lasts...

Now as I can see, many people starting to:

1) Dismiss Abhidhamma Pitaka (happened in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Western countries). Literally not many monks or laypeople study Abhidhamma Pitaka in details.

2) Dismiss Atthakatha (happened in Thailand, Western countries, Sri Lanka, Malaysia)

3) Mix Pali Tipitaka teachings with those of other schools such as Sarvastivada, Nagarjuna Mahayana, or Mahayana practices, or even Hinduism etc. (Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, western countries)

4) Mixing Buddhist teachings from Pali Tipitaka with folk belief and turn into superstition (Thailand, Myanmar)

5) Mixing Buddhist teachings from Pali Tipitaka with materialism and forming secular buddhism or some trendy hippy ideology (mostly western countries).

6) Dismiss books such as Patisambidamagga, Buddhavamsa, Jataka etc from Khuddaka Nikaya

7) Distorting the Suttas by changing meaning and add personal interpretation (Sri Lanka, western countries)

8) Claimed that some Suttas are fake (eg: Mahasamaya Sutta, Atanatiya Sutta, Suriyaparitta, Candaparitta, etc) and should be discarded.

9) Claimed Pali Tipitaka was distorted and need reformation, then published a new scripture book was called "Buddhawajana" (Thailand)

10) Ignoring the Pali Tipitaka teachings at all, monks making claims that are directly contradicted with Pali Tipitaka, such as receiving teachings from Adibuddha, receiving blessings from Paccekabuddha, recite specific mantras to get salvation, practising sorcery etc (in Thailand).

"Should we make legislation to put them in jail or defeat them with the true Dhamma?"

I am not a lawmaker, but I would suggest that any future formal translation of Pali texts or booklets about Theravada should be scrutinized by learned Mahasangha before published in the country under the name of "Theravada Buddhism". Those books that are not accord to Theravada teachings or distorting Pali Tipitaka texts in serious way should be rechecked and regulated. There is no need for jail or fine whatsoever.

Of course, this doesn't mean to jeopardize other forms of Buddhism such as Vajrayana, Mahayana, secular buddhism, etc. Their books or website can be published, but don't use "Theravada" as their name.
I think govt should not involve in scholarly stuffs of buddhism. even ashoka has to depend on monk Tissa but anyone like monk Tissa now to say what is right or wrong?
Like I said, I'm neither support nor reject TPA.

I don't think it is mere a scholarly stuff. This is about what is Dhamma and what is not Dhamma. If the learned monks did not come out to scrutinize, differentiate what is Dhamma and what is not, hardly Buddha Sasana will survive another 100 years...
if learned monk with right view is there then no problem. under the direction of right view monk anything can be done
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Really good practical advice for me as a layman ...
I think this Venerable Sir worthy of respect... :anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Really admire this Bhante for his wisdom and practicality.

Indeed, he is a true Vibhajjavadin. :anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Truly a wise monk. Lucky it has English translation.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.