Chinese-language books, etc.

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
cookiemonster

Chinese-language books, etc.

Post by cookiemonster »

Does anyone know of any Chinese-language books that focuses entirely on Theravada Buddhism on an introductory level, written in a way that does not syncretize with Mahayana, Zen, Tibetan, or any other form of Buddhism?
paul

Re: Chinese-language books, etc.

Post by paul »

The only Chinese language Theravada books you will find are the standard western books obtainable in Chinese translation from places like the Pa Auk Forest Monastery.
https://sites.google.com/pamc.org.sg/ebookpaauksayadaw
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

There are several resources in this thread, but I don't know if they suit your requirements of books of an Introductory nature as I can't read Chinese.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14976
Ruud

Post by Ruud »

If you see books in China about Theravada they are mostly translations of well-known books in the West. Books by Ajahn Chah, Ayya Khema, Sayadaw U Pandita, Bhante Gunaratana etc.

There are some translations of Pali scriptures (I’ve seen a Digha and Majjhima nikaya, a Sutta Nipata, a Dhammapada ), and I know of selections of the Agamas (not directly Theravada, but early Buddhism related).

And Ven. Yin Shun, the Taiwanese scholar monk, has also some material related to the history and development of Buddhism, also in relation to the Pali scriptures and Agamas.

Unfortunately my Chinese is nowhere good enough to read them, so I’ll have to satisfy myself with longing glances....
Dry up what pertains to the past,
do not take up anything to come later.
If you will not grasp in the middle,
you will live at peace.
—Snp.5.11,v.1099 (tr. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)

Whatever is will be was. —Ven. Ñānamoli, A Thinkers Notebook, §221
atipattoh

Post by atipattoh »

Try this one, written by Bhante Mahinda
《您认识佛教吗?》
http://dhamma.sutta.org/downloads/0904- ... ddhism.pdf
hantang

Post by hantang »

Hi, I think of two books that might meet your need:

(the links below are from online bookstore in Taiwan)
These were both translated from Japanese.
LuckyMan

Post by LuckyMan »

Ruud wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 am If you see books in China about Theravada they are mostly translations of well-known books in the West. Books by Ajahn Chah, Ayya Khema, Sayadaw U Pandita, Bhante Gunaratana etc.

There are some translations of Pali scriptures (I’ve seen a Digha and Majjhima nikaya, a Sutta Nipata, a Dhammapada ), and I know of selections of the Agamas (not directly Theravada, but early Buddhism related).

And Ven. Yin Shun, the Taiwanese scholar monk, has also some material related to the history and development of Buddhism, also in relation to the Pali scriptures and Agamas.

Unfortunately my Chinese is nowhere good enough to read them, so I’ll have to satisfy myself with longing glances....
Wow, thanks for this big list! Will look for it, any of them are selling online ?
Ruud

Post by Ruud »

LuckyMan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:06 pm
Ruud wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 am If you see books in China about Theravada they are mostly translations of well-known books in the West. Books by Ajahn Chah, Ayya Khema, Sayadaw U Pandita, Bhante Gunaratana etc.

Wow, thanks for this big list! Will look for it, any of them are selling online ?
They were available online there obviously (on chinese Amazon etc.), when I was living there. Outside, I'm not sure but wouldn't keep my hopes up... But who knows what can be arranged through the magic of the internet.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Dry up what pertains to the past,
do not take up anything to come later.
If you will not grasp in the middle,
you will live at peace.
—Snp.5.11,v.1099 (tr. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)

Whatever is will be was. —Ven. Ñānamoli, A Thinkers Notebook, §221