Is Sotapanna a fixed state?

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
2600htz

Re: Is Sotapanna a fixed state?

Post by 2600htz »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:12 am
2600htz wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 pm Hi:

I suspect a sotapanna just with path knowledge can still break the precepts, while a sotapanna with fruition cant.

Still sometimes i also ponder the idea that a person could potentially break the precepts rooting his actions in any of the other fetters still present in a sotapanna.

Anyways, i think it comes down to personal experience or what lets say the teacher you follow thinks. Suttas are not 100%
conclusive on this point.

Regards
What is path and fruit?
Hi:
The four pairs are (1) the person on the path to stream-entry, the person experiencing the fruit of stream-entry; (2) the person on the path to once-returning, the person experiencing the fruit of once-returning; (3) the person on the path to non-returning, the person experiencing the fruit of non-returning; (4) the person on the path to arahantship, the person experiencing the fruit of arahantship. The eight individuals are the eight types forming these four pairs.
From my perspective in order to become a full sotapanna or any stage of awakening you need two experiences of seeing dependent origination. The first time you see it is path knowledge, but because you only saw it once you are not 100% sure of what it meant, so personality change is not definitive. Fruition is having the same experience for a second time, but because its second time now you have maturity and gain full confidence/personality change.

Path and fruition can be separated in time by seconds, minutes,days or even years. Some people also think its just "one thought moment" apart one from another.

Regards