Wonderful re-birth story from Sri Lanka!

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
SarathW

Wonderful re-birth story from Sri Lanka!

Post by SarathW »

The following story in the Sinhalese language.
This story is about a young man who drowned in the Kandy river on January 31st, 2001 and reborn on 31st January 2002.
After the death of her son from the tragedy, the mother was doing austerities in Dalada Maligava for requesting her son to come back.
He was reborn and start talking about his previous life when he was 2 and a half years old and they have decided to bring the child to meet the old parents only when he was three years old. Surprisingly he recognizes his mother, old teacher, and requests his old bat and ball.
He now is a Buddhist and vegetarian from birth and does not wish to be re-born.

I do not believe the story but here you go!

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Re: Wonderful re-birth story from Sri Lanka!

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:59 am The following story in the Sinhalese language.
This story is about a young man who drowned in the Kandy river on January 31st, 2001 and reborn on 31st January 2002.
After the death of her son from the tragedy, the mother was doing austerities in Dalada Maligava for requesting her son to come back.
He was reborn and start talking about his previous life when he was 2 and a half years old and they have decided to bring the child to meet the old parents only when he was three years old. Surprisingly he recognizes his mother, old , and requests his old bat and ball.
He now is a Buddhist and vegetarian from birth and does not wish to be re-born.

I do not believe the story but here you go!

Is he a monk? Why not reborn if aint a monk?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

No, he is not a monk.
Perhaps he might become a monk in the future.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Out of curiousity, why the one year gap? I had thought that in Theravāda, one death leads into the next birth instantly. Does time not play into this?
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 pm Out of curiousity, why the one year gap? I had thought that in Theravāda, one death leads into the next birth instantly. Does time not play into this?
One thought followed by another thought so rebirth shld be instant.. im also confused
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

It also seems like an extraordinary coincidence to be reborn in the same world-system, but upon careful reading, they are setting him up to be some kind of Maitreya/Tulku, given that he doesn't "wish" to he reborn. It could all be innocent. "Wishing" to not be reborn isn't an outright statement of attainment, just a statement of aspiration.
What is the Uncreated?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:26 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 pm Out of curiousity, why the one year gap? I had thought that in Theravāda, one death leads into the next birth instantly. Does time not play into this?
One thought followed by another thought so rebirth shld be instant.. im also confused
Don't forget the 9 month pregnancy, since rebirth is around the time of conception.

The missing 3 months could have been in another, very short life.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

DNS wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:18 pmThe missing 3 months could have been in another, very short life.
That is a good explanation, but if this boy is so advanced as to recall his previous births, why doesn't he remember the intervening ones before the one a year in the past? Secondly, how did he generate the merit in his short (presumably but not necessarily unfortunate) intermediate birth as to be born remembering his past lives? There's a lot of questions raised, presumably why the OP is skeptical of the claims.
What is the Uncreated?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:group:
DNS wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:18 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:26 pm
Don't forget the 9 month pregnancy, since rebirth is around the time of conception.

The missing 3 months could have been in another, very short life.
:goodpost:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:22 pm
DNS wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:18 pmThe missing 3 months could have been in another, very short life.
That is a good explanation, but if this boy is so advanced as to recall his previous births, why doesn't he remember the intervening ones before the one a year in the past? Secondly, how did he generate the merit in his short (presumably but not necessarily unfortunate) intermediate birth as to be born remembering his past lives? There's a lot of questions raised, presumably why the OP is skeptical of the claims.

I generally do not believe this sort of story even though I think I can remember that I was in my mother's womb and my this birth. In regard to my past life, I can recall that I was walking along in a mountain range with a stick in my hand. I was born at home. (not in a hospital) The place I was born is a very famous historical place in Sri Lanka, where there were more than 100's ruins of cave complex with meditating monks. Now I just wonder whether I was one of those monks in the past life considering the fact I want to become a monk at the age of seven to eight years old.

I think it is possible to craft this sort of story.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:41 pm ...
I generally do not believe this sort of story even though I think I can remember that I was in my mother's womb and my this birth. In regard to my past life, I can recall that I was walking along in a mountain range with a stick in my hand. I was born at home. (not in a hospital) The place I was born is a very famous historical place in Sri Lanka, where there were more than 100's ruins of cave complex with meditating monks. Now I just wonder whether I was one of those monks in the past life considering the fact I want to become a monk at the age of seven to eight years old.

It is awesome just imagining Sarath in the form of a monk :anjali:

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:22 pmThat is a good explanation, but if this boy is so advanced as to recall his previous births, why doesn't he remember the intervening ones before the one a year in the past?
Besides jhānically developed pubbenivāsānussati there's also spontaneous recall of former lives; the latter doesn't require any proficiency in bhāvanā. Also it doesn't involve recollection of former lives in serial order like the jhānically developed form does. Typically the remembrance is of any recent human life in which something especially memorable happened, like a violent death.
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:22 pmSecondly, how did he generate the merit in his short (presumably but not necessarily unfortunate) intermediate birth as to be born remembering his past lives?
I don't think it's due to merit. Just as the devas in the Vimānavatthu can recall the meritorious deeds as humans that got them to heaven, even so the petas in the Petavatthu can recall the stingy and avaricious behaviour as humans that led to their becoming petas.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)