Next Katukurunde Nanananda - Ven Bandarawela Wangeesa.

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I am listening to "Oga Tharana" ie Nibbana or cross the flood by the above monk.
Unfortunately, the Dhamma teaching is in the Sinhalese language.
He was a qualified Engineer with overseas working experience.
I have invited him to the forum and I hope he will join us.
Let me assure you that this is not the only time you are going to hear about him.

I had some reservations about Ven Nananada on his Nibbana sermon due to the length of the discourse and some unclarity.
However, I could not find any such issues with this monk so far.
But again there is nothing you have not heard from another monk or in Tipitaka.
So just continue your practice.
:D

Last edited by SarathW on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Re: Next Katukurunde Nanananda - Ven Bandarawela Wangeesa.

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,

That's a big call! Either way, it would be nice to hear what the bhikkhu has to say, if he's able to present it in English. However, not understanding Sinhalese, I cannot make head nor tail or this.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:36 am Greetings Sarath,

That's a big call! Either way, it would be nice to hear what the bhikkhu has to say, if he's able to present it in English. However, not understanding Sinhalese, I cannot make head nor tail or this.

Metta,
I know that you are a big fan of Ven. Nananada. :D I think he is great too. As I said there is nothing new here that we have not discussed in this forum. However, it is fascinating, how he put all these in too few video discussions, without leaving much doubt on the listener.
Basically, he explains how to move from Kamavacara thinking to the Rupavacara etc and then to Nibbana.
He clearly explains why Nibbana, rebirth, self, death, past, present, future, space, time, duality, etc. are a mental construct of this conditioned reality.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

SarathW wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 am He clearly explains why Nibbana, rebirth, self, death, past, present, future, space, time, duality, etc. are a mental construct of this conditioned reality.
Sankhara - formation/mental construction/fabrication/creation. A house of cards. A sandcastle. BUT Nibbana is not a construct.
Sankhata vs asankhata

Disclosure- I don't understand/read Sinhala.
“And how, bhikkhus, should one know, how should one see, for the immediate destruction of the taints to occur? Here, bhikkhus, the uninstructed worldling, who is not a seer of the noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who is not a seer of superior persons and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, regards form as self. That regarding, bhikkhus, is a formation. That formation—what is its source, what is its origin, from what is it born and produced? When the uninstructed worldling is contacted by a feeling born of ignorance-contact, craving arises: thence that formation is born.

“Thus, bhikkhus, that formation is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen; that craving is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen; that feeling is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen; that contact is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen; that ignorance is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen. When one knows and sees thus, bhikkhus, the immediate destruction of the taints occurs.

“He may not regard form as self, but he regards self as possessing form. That regarding is a formation … all as above … When one knows and sees thus, bhikkhus, the immediate destruction of the taints occurs.

“He may not regard form as self or self as possessing form, but he regards form as in self. That regarding is a formation….

“He may not regard form as self or self as possessing form or form as in self, but he regards self as in form. That regarding is a formation….
“He may not regard form as self … or self as in form, but he regards feeling as self … perception as self … volitional formations as self … consciousness as self … self as in consciousness. That regarding is a formation…. When one knows and sees thus, bhikkhus, the immediate destruction of the taints occurs.

“He may not regard form as self … … or self as in consciousness, but he holds such a view as this: ‘That which is the self is the world; having passed away, that I shall be—permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change.’ That eternalist view is a formation…. When one knows and sees thus, bhikkhus, the immediate destruction of the taints occurs.

“He may not regard form as self … or hold such an eternalist view, but he holds such a view as this: ‘I might not be, and it might not be for me; I will not be, and it will not be for me.’ That annihilationist view is a formation….

“He may not regard form as self … or hold such an annihilationist view, but he is perplexed, doubtful, indecisive in regard to the true Dhamma. That perplexity, doubtfulness, indecisive-ness in regard to the true Dhamma is a formation. That formation—what is its source, what is its origin, from what is it born and produced? When the uninstructed worldling is contacted by a feeling born of ignorance-contact, craving arises: thence that formation is born.
https://suttacentral.net/sn22.81/en/bodhi
"Just as when boys or girls are playing with little sand castles:[4] as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, that's how long they have fun with those sand castles, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them. But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

pegembara wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:15 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 am He clearly explains why Nibbana, rebirth, self, death, past, present, future, space, time, duality, etc. are a mental construct of this conditioned reality.
Sankhara - formation/mental construction/fabrication/creation. A house of cards. A sandcastle. BUT Nibbana is not a construct.
Sankhata vs asankhata

Disclosure- I don't understand/read Sinhala.
“And how, bhikkhus, should one know, how should one see, for the immediate destruction of the taints to occur? Here, bhikkhus, the uninstructed worldling, who is not a seer of the noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who is not a seer of superior persons and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, regards form as self. That regarding, bhikkhus, is a formation. That formation—what is its source, what is its origin, from what is it born and produced? When the uninstructed worldling is contacted by a feeling born of ignorance-contact, craving arises: thence that formation is born.

“Thus, bhikkhus, that formation is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen; that craving is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen; that feeling is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen; that contact is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen; that ignorance is impermanent, conditioned, dependently arisen. When one knows and sees thus, bhikkhus, the immediate destruction of the taints occurs.

“He may not regard form as self, but he regards self as possessing form. That regarding is a formation … all as above … When one knows and sees thus, bhikkhus, the immediate destruction of the taints occurs.

“He may not regard form as self or self as possessing form, but he regards form as in self. That regarding is a formation….

“He may not regard form as self or self as possessing form or form as in self, but he regards self as in form. That regarding is a formation….
“He may not regard form as self … or self as in form, but he regards feeling as self … perception as self … volitional formations as self … consciousness as self … self as in consciousness. That regarding is a formation…. When one knows and sees thus, bhikkhus, the immediate destruction of the taints occurs.

“He may not regard form as self … … or self as in consciousness, but he holds such a view as this: ‘That which is the self is the world; having passed away, that I shall be—permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change.’ That eternalist view is a formation…. When one knows and sees thus, bhikkhus, the immediate destruction of the taints occurs.

“He may not regard form as self … or hold such an eternalist view, but he holds such a view as this: ‘I might not be, and it might not be for me; I will not be, and it will not be for me.’ That annihilationist view is a formation….

“He may not regard form as self … or hold such an annihilationist view, but he is perplexed, doubtful, indecisive in regard to the true Dhamma. That perplexity, doubtfulness, indecisive-ness in regard to the true Dhamma is a formation. That formation—what is its source, what is its origin, from what is it born and produced? When the uninstructed worldling is contacted by a feeling born of ignorance-contact, craving arises: thence that formation is born.
https://suttacentral.net/sn22.81/en/bodhi
"Just as when boys or girls are playing with little sand castles:[4] as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, that's how long they have fun with those sand castles, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them. But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play.

This monk is referring to Mulaparya Sutta.
"He directly knows Unbinding as Unbinding. Directly knowing Unbinding as Unbinding, he does not conceive things about Unbinding, does not conceive things in Unbinding, does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding, does not conceive Unbinding as 'mine,' does not delight in Unbinding. Why is that? Because he has known that delight is the root of suffering & stress, that from coming-into-being there is birth, and that for what has come into being there is aging & death. Therefore, with the total ending, fading away, cessation, letting go, relinquishment of craving, the Tathagata has totally awakened to the unexcelled right self-awakening, I tell you."

That is what the Blessed One said. Displeased, the monks did not delight in the Blessed One's words.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

SarathW wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:19 am
This monk is referring to Mulaparya Sutta.
"He directly knows Unbinding as Unbinding. Directly knowing Unbinding as Unbinding, he does not conceive things about Unbinding, does not conceive things in Unbinding, does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding, does not conceive Unbinding as 'mine,' does not delight in Unbinding. Why is that? Because he has known that delight is the root of suffering & stress, that from coming-into-being there is birth, and that for what has come into being there is aging & death. Therefore, with the total ending, fading away, cessation, letting go, relinquishment of craving, the Tathagata has totally awakened to the unexcelled right self-awakening, I tell you."

That is what the Blessed One said. Displeased, the monks did not delight in the Blessed One's words.
Conceiving is a sankhara/creation/fabrication/construction. Nibbana isn't. An arahant doesn't conceive about the self or even nibbana as stated above.
“Bhikkhu, ‘I am’ is a conceiving; ‘I am this’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall not be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be possessed of form’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be formless’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be non-percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be neither-percipient-nor-non-percipient’ is a conceiving. Conceiving is a disease, conceiving is a tumour, conceiving is a dart. By overcoming all conceivings, bhikkhu, one is called a sage at peace. And the sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die; he is not shaken and does not yearn. For there is nothing present in him by which he might be born. Not being born, how could he age? Not ageing, how could he die? Not dying, how could he be shaken? Not being shaken, why should he yearn?

https://suttacentral.net/mn140/en/bodhi
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I have not attained Nibbana as yet.
So it is a mental construct as far as I am concern at least.
It is important to note that the Noble Eightfold Path also a fabrication.
That is why it starts from the Right View. (Buddha asked us to eliminate all views but Noble Eightfold Path start with views)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:45 am I have not attained Nibbana as yet.
So it is a mental construct as far as I am concern at least.
It is important to note that the Noble Eightfold Path also a fabrication.
You are conflating nibbana with ideas about nibbana.
SarathW wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:45 am That is why it starts from the Right View.
Which is why you probably ought to stop it.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What do you see in the cover photo of this video?
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Beautiful person
Skull with teeth and a hole for the nose. And the skull has an uneven surface.
Hair, eyes, nose, lips, skin, hands, fingers, cloth, perfume bottles or hair spray, mirror. The bottles sit on the lower jaw of the skull.

What's the message? Don't believe what you see?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:woohoo:
Actually, nobody told me that. This video is a Dhamma talk by Ven. Wangeesa.
I thought the picture was funny that a young woman watching herself in the mirror beautifying herself.
I showed this to another person and she said she saw a penis!
:rofl:
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

SarathW wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:39 am :woohoo:
I showed this to another person and she said she saw a penis!
:rofl:
Perception is not self but merely the product of conditioning.
Now I see what she saw, although she could have been more precise in her description :)
Do You See What I See?
Cultural groups throughout the world talk about color differently—some don’t even have a word for color. So is color perception a universal human experience or not?

“Of course some societies don’t have a word for color,” Kay adds. “There are tons of languages that have words for big and small, or hot and cold, without a word for size or temperature.

When looking for evidence of a universal experience of color, one might wonder if there’s something hard-wired in the human eye that shapes our color perception. There doesn’t seem to be a simple connection.

https://www.sapiens.org/language/color-perception/
What is sanna?
And what does it perceive? It perceives blue. It perceives yellow. It perceives red. It perceives white. 'It perceives, it perceives': Thus it is said to be 'perception.'
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Now I see what she saw
To be honest I can't see it.
I have to ask her when I meet her one day.
:D