The Sri Lankan lay Arahant!!

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dr Perera, MBBS claims he is an Arahant.

He is the first person I have seen who got deep knowledge of Abhidhamma.
I could not find a single fault in his discussion.
Even the video host, a prominent blind Buddhist debater Indika has to concede to him.
It appears he has a sexual relationship with his wife!

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
robertk

Re: The Sri Lankan lay Arahant!!

Post by robertk »

Assuming you reported this correctly, I think it can be a warning.
Anyone can claim anything - and because there is no limit to delusion and conceit, they might even believe it themselves.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

robertk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 am Assuming you reported this correctly, I think it can be a warning.
Anyone can claim anything - and because there is no limit to delusion and conceit, they might even believe it themselves.
Agree.
Some people can't differentiate knowledge from wisdom.
Once I thought that I was an Arahant when in meditation.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

robertk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 am Assuming you reported this correctly, I think it can be a warning.
He argues that the heartbeat is the result of Bhawanga!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Lots of knowledge (degrees, or informal knowledge from lots of readings, studies) + Sanskrit, Pali proficiency + Charismatic speaker Arahant

Knowledge is good, but doesn't necessarily mean that one is an arahant or even have any wisdom.
robertk

Post by robertk »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:54 am
Agree.
Some people can't differentiate knowledge from wisdom.
Once I thought that I was an Arahant when in meditation.
It is good you could drop the idea. Some people decide they are sotapanna - or higher - and cling to that belief all their life.

If we are confused about the path we could wake up tommorow, or have some strange experience and determine( by ignorance) that we have attained some stage. Hilarious for onlookers, yes, but also magnifying delusion - and imagine if we start trying to convince others of our majesty.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

He also teaches that the heartbeat is the manifestation of the Bhava consciousness.
Arising and perishing of the heartbeat in every minute.
robertk

Post by robertk »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:26 am He also teaches that the heartbeat is the manifestation of the Bhava consciousness.
Bizarre, but not surprising: once you have determined you are enlightened then ipso facto whatever idea you come up with must be true.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

robertk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:34 am
SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:26 am He also teaches that the heartbeat is the manifestation of the Bhava consciousness.
Bizarre, but not surprising: once you have determined you are enlightened then ipso facto whatever idea you come up with must be true.
Perhaps this is based on the Abhidhamma teaching that the seat of consciousness in the heart.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:50 am
Perhaps this is based on the Abhidhamma teaching that the seat of consciousness in the heart.
I don't think "Hadaya-vatthu" refers to the physical heart. Abhidhamma didn't tell much on heart basis. In Visuddhimagga, as Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera explained using Abhidhammabhajaniya method, the "Hadaya-vatthu" was referred to the amount of blood found in the physical heart.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ontheway wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 am

I don't think "Hadaya-vatthu" refers to the physical heart. Abhidhamma didn't tell much on heart basis. In Visuddhimagga, as Bhandatacariya Buddhaghosa Thera explained using Abhidhammabhajaniya method, the "Hadaya-vatthu" was referred to the amount of blood found in the physical heart.
I think explaing Hadaya-Vatthu as physical hear is a problem.
What will happen when a heart transplant or blood fusion?
With modern technology, you can keep the heart beating after it removes from a dead person.
I hope the following is not fake video.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:23 am
Ontheway wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 am
I think explaing Hadaya-Vatthu as physical hear is a problem.
What will happen when a heart transplant or blood fusion?
With modern technology, you can keep the heart beating after it removes from a dead person.
I hope the following is not fake video.

That's why I said that both Abhidhamma Pitaka and Visuddhi Magga didn't say "Hadaya-vatthu" as physical heart organ.

I don't think I'm dared to view the video.... it's too bloody.... :shock:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false