Bhante Kothmale Kumarakassapa Thero

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
Ontheway

Bhante Kothmale Kumarakassapa Thero

Post by Ontheway »

I find this Venerable Sir's Dhammatalks are quite excellent and really easy to follow. And every time I watch his Dhamma videos I learn something new :reading: :bow:

In this video, he taught: "Do not rush yourself to become a "Sotapanna", but rush to get rid of Sakkaya Ditthi."

As I remember Vāsudattasutta, Buddha also said that:

"“Sattiyā viya omaṭṭho,
ḍayhamānova matthake;
Sakkāyadiṭṭhippahānāya,
sato bhikkhu paribbaje”ti."

And I also remember that Buddha said don't be afraid of merits, and He encouraged the development of Metta Bhavana as it bring forth great merits and conducive for mental development.

https://suttacentral.net/sn2.16/pli/ms

Is he famous in Sri Lanka?
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Re: Bhante Kothmale Kumarakassapa Thero

Post by SarathW »

I used to listen to him and lost interest as usual with many monks.
I was very disappointed with his support of the Tipitaka Protection Act.
However, if he teaches True Dhamma there is no reason not to listen to him.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Another interesting monk is Kirulapana Dhammajiva.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:21 pm I used to listen to him and lost interest as usual with many monks.
I was very disappointed with his support of the Tipitaka Protection Act.
However, if he teaches True Dhamma there is no reason not to listen to him.
  • So, you think Bhante Kothmale Kumarakassapa Thero teaches a not-very-True-Dhamma?

SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:39 pm Another interesting monk is Kirulapana Dhammajiva.

• Is Ven. Kirulapana Dhammajiva the follower of Ven. Waharaka Abhayaratanalankara Thero or the likes, too?
May be I'm very wrong. Anyway, by reading some of your posts these days, I am starting to feel that the reason you are against TPA is more about protecting some probably-wrong Dhamma rather than your love for free inquiry which you seem to have claimed somewhere. That's the impression occurs to me quite recently on reading the posts.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

So, you think Bhante Kothmale Kumarakassapa Thero teaches a not-very-True-Dhamma?
No. I could not find any Adhamma in his teaching. In fact, I have a lot of respect for him.
But I am just disappointed with his activism in TPA.

In fact Kirulapana Dhammawijaya is against Waharaka sect. TPA is alabout stopping them.

I do not believe that Buddhism can be protected by law. It makes it dogmatic like Islam.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:39 pm Another interesting monk is Kirulapana Dhammajiva.

I don't know Sinhalese, I rely on subtitle. If no subtitle, I don't understand at all. :jumping:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:11 am
So, you think Bhante Kothmale Kumarakassapa Thero teaches a not-very-True-Dhamma?
No. I could not find any Adhamma in his teaching. In fact, I have a lot of respect for him.

In fact Kirulapana Dhammawijaya is against Waharaka sect. TPA is alabout stopping them.

I do not believe that Buddhism can be protected by law. It makes it dogmatic like Islam.
I remained neutral on this matter.

Buddha also remained forceful when rejecting Devadatta's proposal on changing practices.
But even King Asoka need to expel all misguided monks from Sasana with the help of Arahats in order to preserve Sangha. Sometimes it is just being desperate to protect the originality of Sasana.

You see in Thailand, although it is a Theravada country, but some monks teaching Uccheda Ditthi, some monks claimed to speaking with Adibuddha, some monks changed to teachings and become superstition, some even twisted the Pali Tipitaka into new doctrines....there is no regulation whatsoever. Now the Buddhists in Thailand are quite confused, each believing that his/her master is the greatest one. Even the Pali scriptures they have, was the translated version with new personal interpretation added.

So I can see why some monks in Sri Lanka supported the proposal of using law to protect Pali scriptures.

In the history, when old Sri Lanka was fallen away from Sasana, it was Ayutthaya Kingdom of Siam (and also from Burma Kingdom too)'s Theras travel to Sri Lanka to reintroduce the Pali scriptures and Sasana.

But now, both Thailand and Myanmar have their own problems. If this time Sri Lankan failed to protect their Sasana well, no one can help Sri Lanka to find the true Sasana again (not mentioning western Buddhism because it is heavily influenced by secular thinking, which is no way near to original Buddha Dhamma).
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:25 am

Buddha also remained forceful when rejecting Devadatta's proposal on changing practices.
But even King Asoka need to expel all misguided monks from Sasana with the help of Arahats in order to preserve Sangha. Sometimes it is just being desperate to protect the originality of Sasana.

You see in Thailand, although it is a Theravada country, but some monks teaching Uccheda Ditthi, some monks claimed to speaking with Adibuddha, some monks changed to teachings and become superstition, some even twisted the Pali Tipitaka into new doctrines....there is no regulation whatsoever. Now the Buddhists in Thailand are quite confused, each believing that his/her master is the greatest one. Even the Pali scriptures they have, was the translated version with new personal interpretation added.

So I can see why some monks in Sri Lanka supported the proposal of using law to protect Pali scriptures.

In the history, when old Sri Lanka was fallen away from Sasana, it was Ayutthaya Kingdom of Siam (and also from Burma Kingdom too)'s Theras travel to Sri Lanka to reintroduce the Pali scriptures and Sasana.

But now, both Thailand and Myanmar have their own problems. If this time Sri Lankan failed to protect their Sasana well, no one can help Sri Lanka to find the true Sasana again (not mentioning western Buddhism because it is heavily influenced by secular thinking, which is no way near to original Buddha Dhamma).
WOW!!!
This is exactly what resonates with people who propose TPA.
Just imagine we police various views in this forum and we will never come to the true understanding of Buddhism. Do you see how hard I have to fight here to reinstate the importance of Abhidhamma with very little help from few people? See how nobody is able to stand up to Doo Doot except we are trying to shut him up.
Pali Tipitaka is still in pristine condition. How anybody can destroy that? Do not worry about translations. Many English translations are incorrect. Many Western Buddhist monks do not teach the proper Dhamma not to mention secular Buddhists.
Should we make legislation to put them in jail or defeat them with the true Dhamma?
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:43 am

WOW!!!
Just imagine we police various views in this forum and we will never come to the true understanding of Buddhism. Do you see how hard I have to fight here to reinstate the importance of Abhidhamma with very little help from few people? See how nobody is able to stand up to Doo Doot except we are trying to shut him up.
Pali Tipitaka is still in pristine condition. How anybody can destroy that? Do not worry about translations. Many English translations are incorrect. Many Western Buddhist monks do not teach the proper Dhamma not to mention secular Buddhists.
Should we make legislation to put them in jail or defeat them with the true Dhamma?
:candle: :candle: :candle:
Like I said, I remained neutral on this matter. It is up to the Sri Lankan people to set laws to protect Pali Tipitaka scriptures.

Pali Tipitaka maybe now still in pristine form and complete (thanks to Arahat Moggaliputta Tissa, Arahat Mahinda, and all other monks that wrote them on leaves in Aluvihara). But how long it can lasts...

Now as I can see, many people starting to:

1) Dismiss Abhidhamma Pitaka (happened in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Western countries). Literally not many monks or laypeople study Abhidhamma Pitaka in details.

2) Dismiss Atthakatha (happened in Thailand, Western countries, Sri Lanka, Malaysia)

3) Mix Pali Tipitaka teachings with those of other schools such as Sarvastivada, Nagarjuna Mahayana, or Mahayana practices, or even Hinduism etc. (Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, western countries)

4) Mixing Buddhist teachings from Pali Tipitaka with folk belief and turn into superstition (Thailand, Myanmar)

5) Mixing Buddhist teachings from Pali Tipitaka with materialism and forming secular buddhism or some trendy hippy ideology (mostly western countries).

6) Dismiss books such as Patisambidamagga, Buddhavamsa, Jataka etc from Khuddaka Nikaya

7) Distorting the Suttas by changing meaning and add personal interpretation (Sri Lanka, western countries)

8) Claimed that some Suttas are fake (eg: Mahasamaya Sutta, Atanatiya Sutta, Suriyaparitta, Candaparitta, etc) and should be discarded.

9) Claimed Pali Tipitaka was distorted and need reformation, then published a new scripture book was called "Buddhawajana" (Thailand)

10) Ignoring the Pali Tipitaka teachings at all, monks making claims that are directly contradicted with Pali Tipitaka, such as receiving teachings from Adibuddha, receiving blessings from Paccekabuddha, recite specific mantras to get salvation, practising sorcery etc (in Thailand).

"Should we make legislation to put them in jail or defeat them with the true Dhamma?"

I am not a lawmaker, but I would suggest that any future formal translation of Pali texts or booklets about Theravada should be scrutinized by learned Mahasangha before published in the country under the name of "Theravada Buddhism". Those books that are not accord to Theravada teachings or distorting Pali Tipitaka texts in serious way should be rechecked and regulated. There is no need for jail or fine whatsoever.

Of course, this doesn't mean to jeopardize other forms of Buddhism such as Vajrayana, Mahayana, secular buddhism, etc. Their books or website can be published, but don't use "Theravada" as their name.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I am not a lawmaker, but I would suggest that any future formal translation of Pali texts or booklets about Theravada should be scrutinized by learned Mahasangha before published in the country under the name of "Theravada Buddhism". Those books that are not accord to Theravada teachings or distorting Pali Tipitaka texts in serious way should be rechecked and regulated. There is no need for jail or fine whatsoever.
This is what TPA supporters claim too except the act contains draconian power to jail monks and confiscate the property.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:21 am
This is what TPA supporters claim too except the act contains draconian power to jail monks and confiscate the property.
Well, I hope Saddhamma endures in Sri Lanka.
I hope in future I can visit the Thuparamaya pagoda after visiting Bodhgaya...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

samseva

Post by samseva »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:25 am I remained neutral on this matter.

Have you lived in all of those countries, Ontheway?

Surely you'd agree it isn't as simple as what you described—but an issue that is much more complicated than that?
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I don't have much Saddha in Thai monks. Maybe because I know Thai language and I watch their news too often.

Or maybe I haven't met a good one. I will try to see if there is a good Thai monk around my area.
Attachments
564000009546306.jpeg
BA1_เจิมดาบ.jpg
666a2d5161021b7a230829e703103e6c.jpg
666a2d5161021b7a230829e703103e6c.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:14 am

WOW!!!
Like I said, I remained neutral on this matter. It is up to the Sri Lankan people to set laws to protect Pali Tipitaka scriptures.

Pali Tipitaka maybe now still in pristine form and complete (thanks to Arahat Moggaliputta Tissa, Arahat Mahinda, and all other monks that wrote them on leaves in Aluvihara). But how long it can lasts...

1) Dismiss Abhidhamma Pitaka (happened in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Western countries). Literally not many monks or laypeople study Abhidhamma Pitaka in details.

2) Dismiss Atthakatha (happened in Thailand, Western countries, Sri Lanka, Malaysia)

3) Mix Pali Tipitaka teachings with those of other schools such as Sarvastivada, Nagarjuna Mahayana, or Mahayana practices, or even Hinduism etc. (Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, western countries)

4) Mixing Buddhist teachings from Pali Tipitaka with folk belief and turn into superstition (Thailand, Myanmar)

5) Mixing Buddhist teachings from Pali Tipitaka with materialism and forming secular buddhism or some trendy hippy ideology (mostly western countries).

6) Dismiss books such as Patisambidamagga, Buddhavamsa, Jataka etc from Khuddaka Nikaya

7) Distorting the Suttas by changing meaning and add personal interpretation (Sri Lanka, western countries)

8) Claimed that some Suttas are fake (eg: Mahasamaya Sutta, Atanatiya Sutta, Suriyaparitta, Candaparitta, etc) and should be discarded.

9) Claimed Pali Tipitaka was distorted and need reformation, then published a new scripture book was called "Buddhawajana" (Thailand)

10) Ignoring the Pali Tipitaka teachings at all, monks making claims that are directly contradicted with Pali Tipitaka, such as receiving teachings from Adibuddha, receiving blessings from Paccekabuddha, recite specific mantras to get salvation, practising sorcery etc (in Thailand).

"Should we make legislation to put them in jail or defeat them with the true Dhamma?"

Of course, this doesn't mean to jeopardize other forms of Buddhism such as Vajrayana, Mahayana, secular buddhism, etc. Their books or website can be published, but don't use "Theravada" as their name.
I think govt should not involve in scholarly stuffs of buddhism. even ashoka has to depend on monk Tissa but anyone like monk Tissa now to say what is right or wrong?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:50 am
Ontheway wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:14 am

WOW!!!

I think govt should not involve in scholarly stuffs of buddhism. even ashoka has to depend on monk Tissa but anyone like monk Tissa now to say what is right or wrong?
Like I said, I'm neither support nor reject TPA.

I don't think it is mere a scholarly stuff. This is about what is Dhamma and what is not Dhamma. If the learned monks did not come out to scrutinize, differentiate what is Dhamma and what is not, hardly Buddha Sasana will survive another 100 years...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.