UK leaves EU

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
The Thinker

Re: UK leaves EU

Post by The Thinker »

Apparently, the answer for Greece was to put them further and further into debt by giving more loans, only bankers could think this up!
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Modus.Ponens wrote:The other is something they do here in Portugal, but I'm not sure they do in Britain, which are polls at the urns.
If you mean “pesquisas de boca-de-urna”, these are “exit polls” in English. “Urna” by itself is a “ballot box”.

The national broadcasting media in the UK always commission such polls at general elections, but at the EU referendum they opted not to do so because of the higher than usual chance of getting a wrong result. The problem they faced was that the result in each area was to be reported by local authorities that didn’t correspond (geographically or demographically) to the normal general election voting wards, and secondly, because voter allegiance wasn’t split along party lines and so pollsters would have needed to base their calculations on a variety of more or less ad hoc assumptions.
Anabhirati kho, āvuso, imasmiṃ dhammavinaye dukkhā, abhirati sukhā.

“To not delight in this dhammavinaya, friend, is painful; to delight in it is bliss.”
(Sukhasutta, AN 10:66)
Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ »

A good summary from the BBC of the polls taken for the referendum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... m-36271589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

by Spiny Norman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:08 am
...well nothing has changed apart from billions wiped off the stock exchange, the pound devalued, political meltdown...

Actually trillions in terms of stock exchanges around the globe.

And someone above boasted of the "5th largest economy in the world". With the crash of the currency, financial sector stocks, etc. I heard that, overnight, it became the "6th largest economy" (now after France).

But it's all still changeable, no?
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Dhammanando wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:The other is something they do here in Portugal, but I'm not sure they do in Britain, which are polls at the urns.
If you mean “pesquisas de boca-de-urna”, these are “exit polls” in English. “Urna” by itself is a “ballot box”.

The national broadcasting media in the UK always commission such polls at general elections, but at the EU referendum they opted not to do so because of the higher than usual chance of getting a wrong result. The problem they faced was that the result in each area was to be reported by local authorities that didn’t correspond (geographically or demographically) to the normal general election voting wards, and secondly, because voter allegiance wasn’t split along party lines and so pollsters would have needed to base their calculations on a variety of more or less ad hoc assumptions.
Thank you Bhante. Yes, exit polls. And that makes sense. It's harder to make accurate predictions in this situation.
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Anyone here see this character Nigel Farage's speech today in Brussels?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu- ... m-36648664

:rolleye: ... the same person who openly admitted, after the fact, that the two or three main arguments of his/their campaign were patently false.

Reminds me of a certain leader who rose to power in 1932 on a similar wave of hysterical nationalism.
robertk

Post by robertk »

cjmacie wrote:Anyone here see this character Nigel Farage's speech today in Brussels?

this bit was good, addressing the esteemed parlimentarians:
"I know that virtually none of you have ever done a proper job in your lives or worked in business or worked in trade or indeed ever created a job. But listen, just listen."
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

robertk wrote: this bit was good, addressing the esteemed parlimentarians:
"I know that virtually none of you have ever done a proper job in your lives or worked in business or worked in trade or indeed ever created a job. But listen, just listen."
Yes, lies and insult, even to his own party members.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... roper-jobs

The speech was a good spectacle though.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

robertk wrote:
cjmacie wrote:Anyone here see this character Nigel Farage's speech today in Brussels?

this bit was good, addressing the esteemed parlimentarians:
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/u ... 17557.html

UK must agree to free movement of europeans if they want access to EU market. That is, the immigrants are coming regardless of Brexit.

The UK gets all its food clothes cars electronics etc from other countries but now they are "independant" :)
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

by rowboat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Interesting bit of information.

Maybe as part of Brexit, they could take Mr. Farage, as well as the UK football fans who systematically wreak havoc every time they visit the continent, and put them all back in their cages.
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Positive reaction in the MidEast. A weak, devided europe is welcomed as a "historic opportunity".

Http://www.juancole.com/2016/06/greater ... itish.html
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi
chownah

Post by chownah »

Kamran wrote:http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/u ... 17557.html

UK must agree to free movement of europeans if they want access to EU market. That is, the immigrants are coming regardless of Brexit.
It is my understanding that "access to EU market" in the article means access without restrictions as it is accessed by EU members. It is my understanding that when england is finally out of EU they can pay a fee and negotiate trade (this is the way that norway for example trades with the EU) and then they would be free to limit or end immigration as they pleased. Am I mistaken? For instance, the US trades with the EU and the US is not required to jump through any EU held immmigration hoops.
chownah
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

chownah wrote:
Kamran wrote:http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/u ... 17557.html

It is my understanding that "access to EU market" in the article means access without restrictions as it is accessed by EU members. It is my understanding that when england is finally out of EU they can pay a fee and negotiate trade (this is the way that norway for example trades with the EU) and then they would be free to limit or end immigration as they pleased. Am I mistaken? For instance, the US trades with the EU and the US is not required to jump through any EU held immmigration hoops.
chownah
Norway has access to the "single market" but it also has open immigration to EU member citizens. EU say free movement will be a condition for full access to the "single market".