UK leaves EU

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
DNS
Site Admin

UK leaves EU

Post by DNS »

It's pretty much official now, the UK is leaving the EU. I tend to think unity is better than division / separation, but I have not been following this that closely to make an informed opinion.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: UK leaves EU

Post by retrofuturist »

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"Why now do you assume 'a being'? Mara, have you grasped a view?" (SN 5.10)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Us and them is in full swing now!
:cry:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote:Us and them is in full swing now!
Hardly. It's just that now the UK isn't going to be governed by the edicts of a Euro-bureaucratic quasi-government that wasn't elected by popular vote (and thus could not be unelected by popular vote either).

England can just go back to being a normal autonomous country in charge of its own affairs. Interestingly, word has it that Scotland and Northern Ireland (who both voted to "Remain" in the EU) may now look to do just the same, and break away from the now not-so United Kingdom. (I wonder if that referendum will be called "Brexodus"!?)
Labour MP, Gisela Stuart wrote:"We have just taken control. 33 million people went to the ballot box and made a democratic decision. They reflected on our 40 year history and by a majority they have decided to leave. I think that is democracy at work.

Britain is an open and welcoming society. We'll continue to co-operate with European countries"
Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Paul Davy wrote:... word has it that Scotland and Northern Ireland (who both voted to "Remain" in the EU) may now look to do just the same, and break away from the now not-so United Kingdom. ...
And any other EU country which isn't doing as well as it would like in the EU may do the same, further weakening the EU and destabilising the region, which is what the markets and a good many sensible people are worried about.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-24/b ... ow/7540150

:coffee:
Kim
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Kim,
Kim OHara wrote:...further weakening the EU...
Which could well be replaced by its much more effective and democratic predecessor, the European Economic Community. Honestly, I think this is where it well end up in time.

The Euro project has been in trouble for quite some time because most nation states had to sacrifice their macro-economic policy controls in the interests of a common currency, and countries using that currency with wildly differing economic conditions at home (e.g. Greece & Germany) could not set their own macro-economic parameters to suit their own differing conditions. Those crucial economic levers were stuck together, and it was bound to lead to trouble...

Metta,
Paul. :)

pulga

Post by pulga »

I knew there'd be repercussions when the EU threatened to ban electric tea kettles.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Yes, it's a 52% leave vote. Cameron has just resigned as PM, so it could well be Boris Johnson next.

And further down the line? :tongue:

Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

pulga wrote:I knew there'd be repercussions when the EU threatened to ban electric tea kettles.
The final straw was the rules on bananas. :tongue:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Paul Davy wrote:England can just go back to being a normal autonomous country in charge of its own affairs. Interestingly, word has it that Scotland and Northern Ireland (who both voted to "Remain" in the EU) may now look to do just the same, and break away from the now not-so United Kingdom. (I wonder if that referendum will be called "Brexodus"!?)
Yes, the Scots have watched "Braveheart" too many times and will probably vote for independence down the line. Not sure about Northern Ireland, longer term it will probably merge with Eire.
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

Havent followed this with enough attention but, would it be correct to say that the main issue had been immigration to the UK from Eastern Europe?, so Brussels refused to allow the UK to set up some restrictions on this and they decided to vote on it, and voila London, Scotland, Liverpool Manchester and Newcastle, namely they main cities voted remain, the countryside and the rest voted leave.

What was so terrible about letting the UK set up some restrictions on immigration? Anyone who knows the UK can see that is probably the most cosmopolitan country in the world, people from over the world are living in peace and prosterity there, for that country to complain about immigration it means they have been pushed too far.

At the end its all about numbers, all the countries have a limit as to how many immigrants can accept over a period of time, Brussels should have been more proactive to prevent a vote of this kind.

Smile
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

dhammarelax wrote:Havent followed this with enough attention but, would it be correct to say that the main issue had been immigration to the UK from Eastern Europe?
Gyles Brandreth (an ex Conservative MP) explains it clearly on the satirical programme, Have I Got News for You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRfVtdqfWY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Fears about immigration obviously played a significant role in swinging the vote in favour of Leave, but I think the scaremongering of the Remain compaign about the dire economic consequences also drove a lot of voters to join the Leave vote. The turnout was high (over 70%), and ordinary working people are tired of being lectured by wealthy beaurocrats and bankers about what is good for them.

My personal opinion, is that a period of recession will do the country good. Most of my supporters (Sri Lankans and Burmese) voted to Leave. I did not vote, though I was eligible to vote. I have never voted in my life. This is all worldly stuff and not of much importance in the greater scheme of things. According to Buddhism, if you follow the Mangala Dhammā the future is bright, if you follow the Parabhava Dhammā the future is bleak.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
My personal opinion, is that a period of recession will do the country good.
Another recession after having fairly recently just had the greatest recession in much of our populations lifetime? And what are the benefits of a recession for the NHS, education and your average Joe?

:anjali:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

UK leaving EU weakens both UK and EU. I cannot understand how in the tumultuous couple of decades the world has been having, the British could vote to leave EU. The world is not fully out of grips of 2008 recession and global growth forecast is down to 2.4%.

For some weird reason, from Brexit to Trump being Republican Presidential nominee, it has become an era for rise of subalterns. Informed decision makers who read newspaper and watch television news are taking a backseat to the ill informed opinion of factory workers and farm hands.

Those who do not know always outnumber those who know. And when clever politicians are able to use that simple arithmetic they can wreak havoc.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Nicola Sturgeon saying she will push for Scotland to remain in the EU, and also for another Scottish independence referendum. Martin McGuinness hinting at a future NI referendum on a united Ireland.
Wales will lose a lot of EU income, very unlikely Westminster will make up the difference, so they will get quite dissatisfied too.
Things could get very interesting!