Thai police raid Dhammakaya temple in hunt for wanted monk

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
jameswang

Re: Thai police raid Dhammakaya temple in hunt for wanted monk

Post by jameswang »

gavesako wrote:Asked how long it would take to arrest the former abbot and whether more forces would be deployed to the temple, Gen Prayut replied: "I'm bored of answering those questions."

http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/121 ... king-court
That's the funniest thing I've heard from the PM!
Last edited by jameswang on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
chownah

Post by chownah »

jameswang wrote:
Turmeric wrote:
I was told the tunnel was actually a basement used for storing water.
Usually, water are stored on a higher place, not lower. Simple reason is gravity.
Evidently the temple has many fountains. Fountains slowly lose water by evaporation and it could be that there are tanks underground from which the fountains get topped up on their water levels. I don't know if that is what is going on there but it does make sense I think.
Someone said they were secret tunnels. To determine if this is true one should look at the entrances and exits to see if they are well hidden....are they behind book shelves or secret sliding panels? Or are they just utility access tunnels like some building complexes in the west have...for instance some universities in the usa have a maze of utility tunnels connecting many of the large buildings.
chownah
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

DSI DECLARES END TO DHAMMAKAYA SEARCH
The Department of Special Investigation now believes the fugitive leader of Wat Dhammakaya has fled his temple and will soon lift its blockade, a spokesman for the said Saturday.
Three weeks of siege operations culminated Friday with the search of an unfinished hospital where the 72-year-old Dhammajayo was thought to be hiding. But the monk was nowhere to be found, and authorities now say they’ve run out of places to search inside the sprawling temple complex.
“The temple insisted that Phra Dhammajayo was ill, and he could not leave his bed inside the temple,” DSI spokesman Woranan Srilam said by telephone. “So we had to search the temple to clear any doubt. Now that we have searched it and he was not found, it proved the temple’s claim was false.”

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... maya-over/

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... dhammajayo

Sangha poised to act

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308486

Sangha ‘can’t disrobe monk’
Search of temple called off while fugitive ex-abbot remains at large.
THE SANGHA Supreme Council (SSC) has no power to disrobe controversial former abbot Phra Dhammachayo as that authority belongs to his direct monastic supervisors, it was concluded at the council’s meeting yesterday.
The NOB then requested the SSC deal with Dhammachayo through its rule No 21 that empowers monastic supervisors to defrock any monk who regularly violates the Vinaya (monastic rules) or does not reside in a temple, the office’s newly appointed director Pongpon Pramsaneh told a press conference after the meeting.
Pongpon, who is the SSC secretary-general ex-officio, said his agency had requested in writing that the monastic chief of the central region, which had jurisdiction over Wat Dhammakaya, should investigate the complaint against Dhammachayo.
“The disrobing process is not easy. The Sangha Supreme Council has no power to do so,” he told the media briefing at the Buddha Monthon Religious Complex in Nakhon Pathom province.
Pongpon said that by filing a complaint with the monastic body, his agency just started the monastic action against Dhammachayo.
He said the process called for the monastic chief of the central region to refer Dhammachayo’s case to the abbot of his temple through the line of command. The abbot needs to consider the complaint against Dhammachayo and allow him to explain himself, he added.
According to SSC rule No 21, Dhammachayo will be deemed to waive his right if he fails to explain himself in relation to the complaint. Then disciplinary action can be taken against him, the official said.
However, he declined to speculate as to when the monastic disciplinary process would be completed as that was a matter for the monks dealing with it.
“This is the same way that you cannot ask a judge when he or she will make a verdict,” he told the press conference. Respected monk Phra Paisal Visalo, a temple abbot in Chaiyaphum, expressed concern over the possible intervention in the monastic disciplinary process against Dhammachayo.
‘How do you stop intervention?’
“We know well that Dhammachayo has a lot of influence, in the Sangha Supreme Council and in the Central monastic region. What should be done to prevent intervention into the monastic court?” he told Thai PBS.
The monk said the monastic disciplinary procedures against Dhammachayo in the past “went nowhere” due to intervention and legal tactics.
“I suspect this new case in 2017 may end in the same way,” he added.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308631
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Monk ‘may have fled in early days of siege’
THE HUNT for wanted former abbot Phra Dhammachayo will continue after authorities admitted that he may have fled during the three-week siege of Dhammakaya Temple, officials responsible for the operation said yesterday.
Police and the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) are attempting to verify tip-offs about the fugitive monk’s possible whereabouts, DSI director-general Paisit Wongmuang said yesterday. He added that those places were inside temples affiliated with Dhammakaya.
“We have got tip-offs that Phra Dhammachayo may be in hiding at one of those places. The DSI is verifying the information and collecting evidence to apply for a search warrant as soon as possible,” he said.
Paisit also admitted that the charismatic monk, wanted for alleged money laundering and accepting stolen assets, may have left the temple in the early days of the siege of the vast complex in Pathum Thani, which started on February 16.
“I believe he escaped sometime between February 16 and 18,” he told reporters. “We found the temple wall had been destroyed ... it was possible someone helped him escape.”

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308725

The failings of absolute power
http://m.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinio ... lute-power
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Search for fugitive monk switches to border
Cops raid suspected former hideout

http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1 ... -to-border

Was the temple mission a success?

http://m.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinio ... a-success-
Last edited by gavesako on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Gavesako

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

gavesako wrote:Hide and Seek

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/n ... kaya-says/

Thai cops have uncovered secret tunnels running underneath a space-age temple of the controversial Dhammakaya Buddhist sect, as their manhunt for an elusive elderly monk accused of massive embezzlement entered a second day.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/br ... s/30306566

:spy:

I just wanna clarify the tunnel thing.

"Police said they inspected an underground tunnel at the temple suspected to be an escape route but found it was a water pump facility"

https://apnews.com/b340fe17f86444c49c6e43a2cf198bcd
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Dhammanando wrote:
Today's Bangkok Post says that it's for the purpose of supplying a waterfall. I was a bit surprised to read this, as I've never seen any waterfall in the photos of Wat Dhammakaya.

[
They're fountains.

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

chownah wrote:
Turmeric wrote:
I was told the tunnel was actually a basement used for storing water.
The dry season is approaching and if there is an underground facility for storing water right now it would be full of water from the recent rains in anticipation of the soon to arrive dry season.

If the tunnels are for storing water are they presently full of water?....if not then it is unlikely that they are for water storage.

I am wondering if there is any basis for saying that the underground area was a "secret". It might be that there is really no secrecy involved and only that the police did not know about them and it does make a juicy headline to mention "secret" things.
chownah
It's a modern temple. So they use tanks of water. It was probably not well known. But likely not a secret

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

chownah wrote:
robertk wrote:Never thpught I would say it but I have come to admire wat Dhammakya.
They are the only large group that has had the courage to make a determined stand against a ruthless dictatorship.
Do you see this as a triumph for democratic principles?....or what. Which is better; a ruthless dictatorship which returns public lands to the public or a wat which appropriates public land for its own use?
I'm just asking.
chownah
May I ask what u mean by This? U talking about the public lands the temple allegedly encroached on 30 years ago that no government ever noticed until now?

chownah

Post by chownah »

TRobinson465 wrote:
chownah wrote:
robertk wrote:Never thpught I would say it but I have come to admire wat Dhammakya.
They are the only large group that has had the courage to make a determined stand against a ruthless dictatorship.
Do you see this as a triumph for democratic principles?....or what. Which is better; a ruthless dictatorship which returns public lands to the public or a wat which appropriates public land for its own use?
I'm just asking.
chownah
May I ask what u mean by This? U talking about the public lands the temple allegedly encroached on 30 years ago that no government ever noticed until now?
I think it is clear what I mean. It is a simple question....actually two questions but I think the second one is the one you are concerned with. Is it better to have wats which appropriate public land for its own use or to have a ruthless dictatorship which returns public lands to the public?
Simple really. Can you explain what you fail to understand?....or discuss some aspect of where answering the question might lead? I'm going to guess that it might lead to someplace which threatens your personal concept of self.....but I am only guessing....I may very well be comletely wrong.....
chownah
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

chownah wrote:
I think it is clear what I mean. It is a simple question....actually two questions but I think the second one is the one you are concerned with. Is it better to have wats which appropriate public land for its own use or to have a ruthless dictatorship which returns public lands to the public?
Simple really. Can you explain what you fail to understand?....or discuss some aspect of where answering the question might lead? I'm going to guess that it might lead to someplace which threatens your personal concept of self.....but I am only guessing....I may very well be comletely wrong.....
chownah

LOL. okay. i dont understand how self is involved here. i think we're on two completely different pages. perhaps im misunderstanding you. my concern was you seem to be insinuating WPD appropriated land and therefore the dictorship is justified in attacking us. thats the main issue. and even if ur talking hypothetical i think ruthless dictatorship is worse. even if the case of appropriation is true. a dictatorship has unlimited power. Communist China also took land that was "appropriated" by several private organizations and restored the lands to the public. It was not a great event.

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

BTW since theres apparently two threads covering this imma copy some sources from the original thread here.

Heres a recent source from an Australian Professor who has studied Dhammakaya extensively.

Dr James L Taylor is Adjunct Associate Professor, Anthropology & Development Studies, University of Adelaide. He has written extensively on Thammakai (Dhammakaya) since the late 1980s and 1990s including in his book Buddhism and Postmodern Imaginings in Thailand.

He provides some very interesting insight and background information into the current situation. I was familiar with a lot of the points he made before regarding Thai Buddhism in general but he really mended it together well. For those who dont know WPD is part of Mahanikaya, the larger of the 2 branches of Thai Buddhism. Despite the other branch, Dhammayut, being like 6% of Thailand they have like half of all royal titles and positions in Thailand. Dhammayut is by far the favored branch by the Thai elite class, the anti-democracy class the Dictator caters too.

For info on that whole branch thing check this out.
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 11816.html

Heres the source from Prof. Taylor
http://www.newmandala.org/perplexing-ca ... hammakaya/

Heres another one. a quote from the piece. link on the bottom
It's a unique sight because since the army staged a coup in May 2014, small protests have been quickly shut down, the leaders often taken away for days of "attitude adjustment" and threatened with longer periods in detention.

Some who have made critical comments online have been hauled before the shadowy military court on trumped-up charges such as sedition, or have been convicted of breaking article 112 of the constitution which is designed to prevent any criticism of the monarchy, a law that many say is often abused for political gain.

The military continues to push back a return to "democracy" by delaying elections, which it initially said would be held the year after the coup was staged. The latest date for a vote is February 2018 but some Thais wonder whether it will ever happen.
http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/asia/201 ... 00775.html

A nice one on latest events
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... hist-abbot

Human Rights UN committee examining Thailand on March 13-14.just days after the Junta ended the siege of the WPD after a deal was struck that they can search the temple so long as press and human rights reps are with them to witness. Possibly just a coincidence but still relavent.

https://www.fidh.org/en/region/asia/tha ... ight-again

chownah

Post by chownah »

TRobinson465 wrote:
chownah wrote:
chownah

LOL. okay. i dont understand how self is involved here.
I am only guessing and might be completely wrong but I think that you identify with damakaya and anything which might be construed to sully its (and by your self indetification "your") reputation will lead you to contend against that anything. This is one major way that the delusional self makes mischief....I think....don't know for sure....
chownah
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

chownah wrote:
TRobinson465 wrote:
chownah wrote:
chownah

LOL. okay. i dont understand how self is involved here.
I am only guessing and might be completely wrong but I think that you identify with damakaya and anything which might be construed to sully its (and by your self indetification "your") reputation will lead you to contend against that anything. This is one major way that the delusional self makes mischief....I think....don't know for sure....
chownah
relavent. but its not unreasonable to think that you were sullying it in context. and given the hostility ive been getting u cant blame me for contending......assuming ur guess is correct....

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

As fun as this is chownah. This isn't a thread on the self. If we're gonna post on this thread let's stay more relavent.

:focus: