Myanmar Buddhists decry Thai government’s temple crackdown

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
plwk

Myanmar Buddhists decry Thai government’s temple crackdown

Post by plwk »

Around 100 Buddhist monks and nationalists in Myanmar staged a protest against Thailand on Friday, denouncing the government of the neighboring country for its actions against a temple that has defied orders to hand over a wanted monk. More here
Reductor

Re: Myanmar Buddhists decry Thai government’s temple crackdown

Post by Reductor »

Laughable. Bringing in a crook who hides behind his robes isn't an affront to Buddhism. He is.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Reductor wrote:Laughable. Bringing in a crook who hides behind his robes isn't an affront to Buddhism. He is.
At this stage it has not been shown that he is a crook....he is thought to be a witness to things relating to a known crime and that is all. Actually I doubt that he is a crook but I don't really know..

Look at it this way. The temple receives billions and billions of baht every year. Is the temple supposed to require an investigation of the history of what is offered? Why should they do that? The temple did not handle the money with secrecy....they did not try to hide the fact that they got it....they did not do anything unusual with the money....they paid it back when it was determined that it was stolen money.

I think the main issue is that dammakaya followers and monks do not trust the gov't in this matter. Having seen how thai justice has worked out sometimes I can understand why they are skeptical....but their skepticism might be unwarranted....I don't know.
chownah
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

chownah wrote:
Reductor wrote:Laughable. Bringing in a crook who hides behind his robes isn't an affront to Buddhism. He is.
At this stage it has not been shown that he is a crook....he is thought to be a witness to things relating to a known crime and that is all. Actually I doubt that he is a crook but I don't really know..
Alleged crook, then. How could he be proven to be a crook if there isn't a trial? How can there be a trial if he isn't captured? In some countries there's trial in absentia - but it is not surprising that the authorities would like to capture someone they're accusing of criminal activity, even if they could forego doing so.

Look at it this way. The temple receives billions and billions of baht every year. Is the temple supposed to require an investigation of the history of what is offered? Why should they do that? The temple did not handle the money with secrecy....they did not try to hide the fact that they got it....they did not do anything unusual with the money....they paid it back when it was determined that it was stolen money.

I think the main issue is that dammakaya followers and monks do not trust the gov't in this matter. Having seen how thai justice has worked out sometimes I can understand why they are skeptical....but their skepticism might be unwarranted....I don't know.
chownah
A lot of mistrust of the government going around. Sure, he can run - maybe he should run. I'm don't know much about Thailand. It just seems funny that aggressive robed Nationalists in Myanmar are condemning the Thai government for interfering with Buddhism when that government is, apparently, trying to apprehend an alleged criminal. It's not as if the government of a predominately Buddhist country woke up one day and thought "hmm... think we should piss on our national religion just for shits." Really? Is the pursuit of an alleged criminal who hides in a monestary really an attack on Buddhism? Maybe it's something else.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Maybe, just maybe...another attempt to deflect the 'heat' they got on the Rohingyas or other more pressing issues? Who knows...