Meditation Teacher Shot by Police in MN

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
chownah

Re: Meditation Teacher Shot by Police in MN

Post by chownah »

Maitri wrote:
Maitri wrote:
chownah wrote: How many people here would like to have a career in law enforcement in america? If we want to solve this problem then perhaps if people who were more sensitive to the problem became police officers this would help. Seems like people here are more sensitive to the problem.....what's keeping you from signing up?...fear?
chownah
Ridiculous.
So every American needs to become a senator or the president in order to disagree with their actions and policies? We elect and appoint people to the branches of government to represent our interests as American citizens.

You don't need to sign up to be a police officer to criticize their behavior. They are public servants and answerable to the tax paying citizens who employ them. You don't seem to grasp how a republic works or at least the executive branch of the state and/or local U.S. governments. It is the duty and obligation of private citizens to monitor and correct their elected officials when required. That doesn't mean that every private citizen needs to become a firefighter or police officer in order to push for changes and accountability in these departments. The Minneapolis police answer to Minneapolis residents and tax payers, not the other way around. No one needs to prove themselves by joining the police force in order to critique their behavior or policies.
No, it's clear from your other posts you are a contrarian and hardly make a direct point in any thread. You directly asked why people aren't signing up to be police officers.
My direct point is "If we want to solve this problem then perhaps if people who were more sensitive to the problem became police officers this would help." Do you want to dispute this?

also, I think you need to read my first post more carefully. I did not say any of the things you are suggesting....and senators? representatives? my ignorance of how gov't works?...you seem to find alot of stuff in my post which I have no idea where it was hiding and how you ferreted it out.
chownah
binocular

Post by binocular »

Maitri wrote:The point is that policing has become highly adversarial in the U.S. against civilians due the militarization of the police force. More awareness of shooting civilians is occurring due to the internet. As always, the gearing up of police forces is due to money from the military industrial complex rather than a concern for citizens' safety.
When the police take down a gang or put a serial killer in prison, that is acting out of concern for the safety of citizens.
Not only are the shootings a major problem, so is the lack of accountability. It has to do with a system that protects its own rather than seeking justice.
I don't think so. I think the real issue is that it's not clear what justice is to begin with. And in Western societies, there seems to be a taboo on discussing this. Arguably, a coherent notion of justice is possible only in monocultures.

Besides, the police and the military were never about justice, but about law enforcement. Justice and law enforcement are two very different things.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

binocular wrote: Arguably, a coherent notion of justice is possible only in monocultures.

This is exactly the point. There will never be a general agreement on what is justice - therefore the media should tone down the outrage, they are only increasing the problem.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

The woman was white and the policeman who shot her was black. Therefore, using liberal logic, it was a hate crime motivated by racism.

By the way, it was not the first time that officer does something like that: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... amond.html

That's what you get with those mandatory diversity quotas and police training being shorter than bodyguard training in Romania.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Pseudobabble wrote:
binocular wrote: Arguably, a coherent notion of justice is possible only in monocultures.
This is exactly the point. There will never be a general agreement on what is justice
I think that openly acknowledging the relativity of notions of justice would be extremely corrosive to society.
The relativity of notions of justice is one of those things that are true, but for the most part, not helpful.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

When the police take down a gang or put a serial killer in prison, that is acting out of concern for the safety of citizens.
Yes, I don't think that anyone is disputing that. When policing power is used for the good of the community, then this is a boon for everyone.
I don't think so. I think the real issue is that it's not clear what justice is to begin with. And in Western societies, there seems to be a taboo on discussing this. Arguably, a coherent notion of justice is possible only in monocultures.
The respective local, station, and federal laws in the U.S. state what is proper justice in cases of criminal behavior. I'm not sure how you can argue that we do not have a system in place for dealing with justice due to crime. Whether people feel justice has been served is an entirely different question. I have no idea why you think there is a taboo about this. People have been arguing what is justice and right for thousands of years in the West. It's constantly debated.

You are correct that diversity is a problem in reconciling different senses of justice. That will only get worse as society becomes more diverse.
Besides, the police and the military were never about justice, but about law enforcement. Justice and law enforcement are two very different things.
No, they are not "two very different things". Cooking and justice are two very different things, or gardening and law enforcement are two different things. Law enforcement is there is uphold the LAW and justice is mete out the LAW when it is broken. It's the combination of executive and judicial branches that support one another. Law enforcement carries out laws and enforces it and the judicial system attempts to repair the damage done with the broken law.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

Circle5 wrote:The woman was white and the policeman who shot her was black. Therefore, using liberal logic, it was a hate crime motivated by racism.

By the way, it was not the first time that officer does something like that: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... amond.html

That's what you get with those mandatory diversity quotas and police training being shorter than bodyguard training in Romania.
Basically, yeah. Racism applies to one and not the other? I can't figure out the scores for the Oppression Olympics anymore.

Minneapolis seems to be producing some real strange police officers recently. Answer? Let's get some of those Romanian bodyguards in and dress them up with blue track suits and a badge.

"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
binocular

Post by binocular »

Maitri wrote:The respective local, station, and federal laws in the U.S. state what is proper justice in cases of criminal behavior. I'm not sure how you can argue that we do not have a system in place for dealing with justice due to crime. Whether people feel justice has been served is an entirely different question. I have no idea why you think there is a taboo about this. People have been arguing what is justice and right for thousands of years in the West. It's constantly debated.
Sure, there is an ongoing conversation of some kind as to what exactly is justice. But nevertheless, there are social limits, taboos, in this conversation, which seems to be the reason why it has been going on for millennia without ever getting to any solid conclusion.
You are correct
Gee, thanks.
No, they are not "two very different things". Cooking and justice are two very different things, or gardening and law enforcement are two different things. Law enforcement is there is uphold the LAW and justice is mete out the LAW when it is broken. It's the combination of executive and judicial branches that support one another. Law enforcement carries out laws and enforces it and the judicial system attempts to repair the damage done with the broken law.
I think we mean very different things by "justice." Q.E.D.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!