how to meet buddhist singles

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: how to meet buddhist singles

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

binocular wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:48 pm Singles, shingles ...
:lol:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 am I don't see anything wrong with match.com even. Its got a ton of people on there, I am sure you can specify your religious interests there. I met my wife there :)
Congrats!
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
manas

Post by manas »

ryanM wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:31 pm
Sovatthika wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 pmi don't know what i could have in common enough with any puthujjanas
Kindness?
:goodpost:
Last edited by manas on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
manas

Post by manas »

manas wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:29 pm The desire for a girlfriend comes up from time to time, but then I recollect how essentially flawed romantic relationships are, and I get put off. I've suffered enough already, I think.
Edited version: "The desire for a girlfriend comes up from time to time, but then I recollect how essentially flawed my romantic relationships have been, and I get put off. I've suffered enough already, I think."

Just to be clear. My experience isn't everyone else's.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Manas
This is what called contemplation on Asvada and Adinava. (gratification and draw backs)
What you need to add is Nissarana (scape)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
manas

Post by manas »

SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:05 am Hi Manas
This is what called contemplation on Asvada and Adinava. (gratification and draw backs)
What you need to add is Nissarana (scape)
Perhaps. But it might not be my kamma to escape it in this lifetime, when there is so much unresolved energy regarding women, in my psyche. Maybe I can, maybe not. But I was hurt pretty badly by a woman in my formative years; so it's hard to know, whether my wish to just be done with it all, is from true disenchantment, or from a wish to 'escape' the difficulty of having to confront how the hurt and pain caused by that early betrayal, might be the underlying, subconscious motivation for a wish to just fly off into the realm of non-sensual peace, which I so often (think) I wish to do.

I'm going to spell it out for clarity: I was sexually 'interfered with' by a woman I should have been able to trust, while I was a young teen. I think I might need to actually 'fix it with women' first, before contemplating long-term celibacy, else I might actually be left with a lot of underlying hurt deep in my psyche, that still needs resolution & healing. Perhaps the only way to heal it, is to have a relationship that is healthy, with a woman I can trust, where the ghost of that early betrayal doesn't intrude and spoil everything, from choice of partner, to being able to be both sexual and loving at the same time, and without that triggering memories of the original abuse by someone who shouldn't have been sexual with me. There, now you all know.

The abuse fractured me, in some way. I've come a long way to healing. but i don't think I'm done yet. This is why it's really important to never sexually interfere with children. It can do a lot of long-term damage.

ok, :focus: I guess.
Last edited by manas on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

But it might not be my kamma to escape it in this lifetime, when there is so much unresolved energy regarding women, in my psyche.
You have to worry about this only when you are heading for Anagami.
What you need now is only the right view hence eliminating self view. (Sakkaya Dithi)
Sotapanna still enjoys the sensible sensual pleasures.
manas

Post by manas »

SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:46 am
But it might not be my kamma to escape it in this lifetime, when there is so much unresolved energy regarding women, in my psyche.
You have to worry about this only when you are heading for Anagami.
What you need now is only the right view hence eliminating self view. (Sakkaya Dithi)
Sotapanna still enjoys the sensible sensual pleasures.
Thanks, Sarath. I need to let go of this subject now. Perhaps another time.
:anjali:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can find lots of Buddhist singles in the Book of Ones.

Alternatively, visit any Buddhist monastery. You will find lots of committed Buddhist singles there. Meeting them may lead to something unexpected.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Classic Pesala. 8-)

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

You will find lots of committed Buddhist singles there.
Perhaps you can use a Sutta question as an icebreaker!
But make sure s/he is not an Anagami. You don't want to waste your time.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 pm now that i've essentially given up on hookups, according to my recent post, but i'm not committed to full celibacy and i don't know what i could have in common enough with any puthujjanas to start dating them i wondered if there was anything like a buddhist dating site. i didn't actually really wonder that more of a joke but btw is there anything like that
anyway this thread is supposed to be a joke but also there could be a good discussion here
have u found out? or still single?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...