Is coder for a gambling-website-creator company a wrong livelihood?

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
lavantien

Is coder for a gambling-website-creator company a wrong livelihood?

Post by lavantien »

Hi,

Currently I'm doing intern as a coder, this company mostly develop betting websites for other countries.

I'm aware of a story about Sotapanna assist her husband in hunting. But I'm afraid that my job may not appropriate to be compared to that story.
I also know betting is unskillful and manage a betting platform is obviously a wrong livelihood.

I'm just not sure about whether a coder who participate in the process of creating betting platforms can be considered as a not-so-wrong livelihood. Finding developer job in my place is pretty hard, especially for undergraduate like me, so I just want make sure that I'm still stay firmly on the Path.

Please let me know your opinion.
"Then the Teacher, being sympathetic, and having compassion for the whole world,
said to me, “Come, monk!” That was my ordination.
Staying alone in the wilderness, meditating tirelessly,
I have completed what the Teacher taught, just as the victor advised me.

In the first watch of the night, I recollected my past lives.
In the middle watch of the night, I purified my clairvoyance.
In the last watch of the night, I shattered the mass of darkness."
- KN Thag 12.2
DooDoot

Re: Is coder for a gambling-website-creator company a wrong livelihood?

Post by DooDoot »

My opinion is doing an internship is OK because: (i) you do not own the business; (ii) you do not design the gambling software ideas; (iii) the internship is only temporary; and (iv) the skills & experience you are developing & acquiring are not inherently related to the gambling industry. But personally I would not do the job permanently (because this will make you dispirited). However, doing the job for a period of time to gain sufficient & credible experience is OK to me because (as I suggested) the skill you are developing is not inherently related to gambling. For a short time, you are gaining experience with the aim/intention to apply your skills to more favorable industries in the future.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

lavantien wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:31 am Hi,

Currently I'm doing intern as a coder, this company mostly develop betting websites for other countries.

I'm aware of a story about Sotapanna assist her husband in hunting. But I'm afraid that my job may not appropriate to be compared to that story.
I also know betting is unskillful and manage a betting platform is obviously a wrong livelihood.

I'm just not sure about whether a coder who participate in the process of creating betting platforms can be considered as a not-so-wrong livelihood. Finding developer job in my place is pretty hard, especially for undergraduate like me, so I just want make sure that I'm still stay firmly on the Path.

You dont break any precept so you dont generate kamma of going in lower realms.
So if while you work on this job your mind feels harmony and peace, you can practice meditation, mind is not agitated by your job - then it's good livelihood. All depends on your mind state. If there is remorse, etc?

As said Ajahn Sona, even an Abbot of Buddhist monastery can live in wrong livelihood, because he have so many responsabilities and duties to do, that he can't practice at peace...
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
santa100

Post by santa100 »

lavantien wrote:Currently I'm doing intern as a coder, this company mostly develop betting websites for other countries.
There should be plenty of "content-neutral" software functions like file system/database maintenance/backup, nightly batch operations, software patches/securities, etc. that you could try asking them to assign to you instead of functions that directly involves writing betting algorithm. And the benefit doesn't just stop at staying on the Path, since those functions are not subject-domain-specific (ie. gambling/betting algos and logic), they're totally transferrable once your internship is over and you can use the skillset for other industries: healthcare, education, manufacturing, etc.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

If you are an unpaid intern, then it isn't "livelihood". So this doesn't apply here.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
DooDoot wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:26 pm My opinion is doing an internship is OK because: (i) you do not own the business; (ii) you do not design the gambling software ideas; (iii) the internship is only temporary; and (iv) the skills & experience you are developing & acquiring are not inherently related to the gambling industry. But personally I would not do the job permanently (because this will make you dispirited). However, doing the job for a period of time to gain sufficient & credible experience is OK to me because (as I suggested) the skill you are developing is not inherently related to gambling. For a short time, you are gaining experience with the aim/intention to apply your skills to more favorable industries in the future.
:goodpost:

I agree 100%.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I dont think so but im not sure. I am also a online gambler just do for pocket money not serious gambler and i use stats to win daily 200£ approx it helps me in life but i know what horse will win so its not blind guess and punter lose or earn is their karma and result of decision but coder has nothing to do even if u dont code punters keep on punting and also ur coding what exact software? Does software show wrong stats to steal money from punters?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
lavantien

Post by lavantien »

@dharmacorps: I'm a paid intern.
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:40 am I dont think so but im not sure. I am also a online gambler just do for pocket money not serious gambler and i use stats to win daily 200£ approx it helps me in life but i know what horse will win so its not blind guess and punter lose or earn is their karma and result of decision but coder has nothing to do even if u dont code punters keep on punting and also ur coding what exact software? Does software show wrong stats to steal money from punters?
I have no idea how their algorithms work, I also don't know whether they (betting systems) manipulate the odds before showing to player or not. I don't want to involve in these thing I just want to sustain my practice. I'm currently fixing bugs and doing some User Interface relate stuffs.

I don't think gambler is super unskillful when players research properly, have some statistical knowledge and apply them to support their life, in case of yours. Hence the word "skillful" :tongue:
"Then the Teacher, being sympathetic, and having compassion for the whole world,
said to me, “Come, monk!” That was my ordination.
Staying alone in the wilderness, meditating tirelessly,
I have completed what the Teacher taught, just as the victor advised me.

In the first watch of the night, I recollected my past lives.
In the middle watch of the night, I purified my clairvoyance.
In the last watch of the night, I shattered the mass of darkness."
- KN Thag 12.2
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

lavantien wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:40 pm @dharmacorps: I'm a paid intern.
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:40 am I dont think so but im not sure. I am also a online gambler just do for pocket money not serious gambler and i use stats to win daily 200£ approx it helps me in life but i know what horse will win so its not blind guess and punter lose or earn is their karma and result of decision but coder has nothing to do even if u dont code punters keep on punting and also ur coding what exact software? Does software show wrong stats to steal money from punters?
I have no idea how their algorithms work, I also don't know whether they (betting systems) manipulate the odds before showing to player or not. I don't want to involve in these thing I just want to sustain my practice. I'm currently fixing bugs and doing some User Interface relate stuffs.

I don't think gambler is super unskillful when players research properly, have some statistical knowledge and apply them to support their life, in case of yours. Hence the word "skillful" :tongue:
I think entire ;life if lead unconsciously actions without knowing is gamble of life just saying ...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

The story of the sotāpannå, is about
"a wife who is obedient to her husband".

You should find another job.
Not breaking the precepts,
but why should help someone to
make a gamble?
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."